AMA vs Uniworld

bbwex

Bree, we joined our larger tour group of 24 at their hotel in Basel and were taken by bus to the port in Basel. There, we discovered that the ship was in Breisach and we would be taken by bus to meet the ship as soon as a small group of pax arrived from the Basel airport. We waited about 20 minutes for them and then rode for about an hour or a bit more to meet the ship. (I was tired from an early train trip and from walking around Basel that morning so can't tell you exactly as I slept most of the way.) Please notice my avoidance of the verb 'to bus', if there is such a verb, as I always mess it up also.:D

Bree, we joined our larger tour group of 24 at their hotel in Basel and were taken by bus to the port in Basel. There, we discovered that the ship was in Breisach and we would be taken by bus to meet the ship as soon as a small group of pax arrived from the Basel airport. We waited about 20 minutes for them and then rode for about an hour or a bit more to meet the ship. (I was tired from an early train trip and from walking around Basel that morning so can't tell you exactly as I slept most of the way.) Please notice my avoidance of the verb 'to bus', if there is such a verb, as I always mess it up also.:D

the2ofus,

Thanks so much for the info!

bree

Have sailed Uniworld before... enjoyed every bit of it. Everything and I mean everything was perfect. Well, the food was a bit different?

We are going to try to book for next June. It seems to me that this Basel to AMS cruise is VERY expensive compared to the last Uniworld cruise we booked. AND very very expensive when compared to ocean cruises, per day cost. So if anyone has any secrets to share please do so -

linda at storli-koontz dot com. I would really appreciate it.

We are doing the Allure of the Seas this Christmas (he picks one trip a year and I get to pick the other). From the largest ship afloat to a river cruise; well we like variety.

thanks

We are taking the S.S. Antoinette next April on the Basel to Amsterdam itinerary with two nights in Lucerne pre cruise. While it does seem expensive, it truly is all inclusive. On most large ships you are constantly getting nickled and dimed for things like photographs, wine tasting, shore tours, special classes, etc. With Uniwolrd, all of the tours are included and local guides are used. Wine is freely poured at dinner. Tips are paid in cash at the end of the cruise. It does seem expensive on the front end, booking and paying, but after the cruise is over you will not have a large bill on your credit card.

I can only comment on Uniworld. I had a wonderful time on the windmills and tulips cruise. The food was not the hugh buffet you see on large cruise ships but, was very good. Our tour guide (I don't remember his name.) was great. When we arrived on board we dropped our things off in our room and went to explore Amsterdam. We were trying to find the bus station. Our tour guide (whom we did not know at the time) walked us to the bus station and instructed which transfer to take to get to the Ann Frank house. He also took us on a red light district tour that was not part of the tours included. My mother who went on this cruise with me was not feeling well one night so,we cancelled an non refundable optional tour. The tour guide refunded our tour price without us asking. I agree you spend a lot of money up front but, I only spent 1.50 Euros to send a postcard to my husband and the price of the tips while on board. My DH and I are planning on going on a Uniworld Egypt cruise in 21 days. I have been telling him how much he is going to like Uniworld.

• 1 year later...

FYI - the thread before the previous reply was from 2011.

Personally, it still looks pretty valid to me, but bear that the age in mind when reading it.

For what it's worth, we loved our AMA cruise in April and would love to cruise with them again. ...but Uniworld is our main alternative and we'd consider them as well.

Archived