AMA vs Uniworld

bbwex

We are in the early planning stages for a 2013 river trip. It seems from the majority of comments that AMA, Avalon and Uniworld are together is something of a middle group -- not quite the top, but not the bottom either. We have been leaning towards AMA, but I have now heard some very nice comments -- on CC -- about Uniworld.

How about some comments from someone who has been on both to give me a comparison to help me choose.

Sorry I can't comment on Uniworld, but I was very impressed with Ama. I wrote a review of the Amalyra. What really impressed me was that every small detail was handled extremely well from making sure that everyone's luggage was identified and delivered to the right destination to accommodating excursion groups. Enjoyed the food very much but avoid the dreaded cheeseburgers. Wines were freely poured at dinner. Cabins were cozy, well appointed and thoroughly cleaned daily. I would definitely sail Ama again.

Hi - Have travelled with both --> and don't honestly know what I could say that could help anyone decide between them.

We have been on 3 Uniworld cruises (and 4th booked for next year...) - and 1 AMA. The itinerary, then the cost - is what has been the deciding factor.

I have expressed the opinion in other posts that the one single factor that really impacts your experience is (IMHO) the Cruise Manager --> and you have no control over that. I have found that the local guides booked by Uniworld are consistently great - but, perhaps I have just been lucky (I know others haven't always felt that way...)

Uniworld does include transfers on day of embarkation and disembarkation --> even if you don't book their air. That is huge for me.... They do not, however, allow you to put your gratuities on a credit card. This is *not* an issue for me, but it is if you want to use your card (ie: if you collect points...).

I do like the Past Passenger "perks" on Uniworld. When we were looking to book a Tulip Time cruise, AMA was not offering anything other than an early booking discount --> which was exactly the same discount offered to everyone. I would think that a past passenger should be given a little bit of "something" to sweeten the deal. We did book a Tulip Time cruise - but it was *not* with AMA.

Not sure if this was of help.

Fran

Hi,

My husband and I have traveled on both AMA and Uniworld. Our first river cruise was Basal to Amsterdam on Uniworld and was one of our favorite trips of all time. We recently took a tulip and windmills trip through Holland with AMA and were equally impressed. We have booked a Burgundy and Provence trip for next summer with Uniworld. I did not struggle with which company to book this trip. Although we enjoyed AMA - we simply enjoyed Uniworld better. I can't say why. We were in a Suite on both and the service with excellent on both and the food ranged from acceptable to exceptional on both. The tours were good on both too. But we are going back on Uniworld. I hope this helps.

Barbara

...and found them both enjoyable. The Uniworld cruise was Paris and Normady. The AMA was the tour-cruise from Prague to Budapest. The bathrooms on AMA were fancier and the cabins slightly larger. Both crews do not have the word "no" in their vocabulary and go out of their way to fix any problem and offer help and advise. The two cruise directors were outstanding, however the AMA cruise director was even better than outstanding.

We choose our cruises by the destination and the sights. We were booked on the Uniworld River Tosca for this Oct. but cancelled since we could not get an answer from Uniworld on whether the trip was going or not. Travel insuranced did not cover the cancellation becasue it was due civil disruption and the US did not ban travel to Eqypt. We lost $200pp from Uniworld. We are planning on using our Luftansa tickets Cairo for a short land tour of Jordan, rather than giving the airline $2000 and get nothing for it.

I can't speak for Uniworld but itineraries for most of the river cruises are very similar as we saw many different lines along the Danube from Nuremberg to Budapest. I think the deciding factor for us in choosing AMA was 1. the bikes they have on board for use by the passengers, 2. free internet in cabin as well as wireless, and 3. three different groups for the walking tours...active, regular and gentle.

We are planning to take the cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest or the reverse. So I know that just about every company does that trip. It also seems that Tauck should be in the running too as they are about the same price if you add in the tips to AMA and Uniworld.

If you are looking at Tauck - realizing the increased costs are as a result of the included gratuities - I suggest you look at Scenic as well. Their costs are quite comparable to Tauck.

I was a bit leary about travelling with Scenic after reading the "less than stellar" reports here on CC.

However, we caught a great sale, so booked their inaugural Tulip Time cruise earlier this year - and it was a wonderful trip. We would absolutely travel with them again.

We are planning to take the cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest or the reverse. So I know that just about every company does that trip. It also seems that Tauck should be in the running too as they are about the same price if you add in the tips to AMA and Uniworld.

We are also booked on Scenic for Sept 2012 for their Amsterdam to Budapest cruise. All inclusive pricing and early booking discount made them as competetive as other lines and you don't have to pay it all up front. New ship next year with plexiglass panels that come down so that you can use your balcony in inclement weather.

In my opinion you don't really know how good a company is until things go wrong.

We booked our first ever river cruise with Uniworld.

Unfortunately the cruise was cancelled. The refurb was not finished. Uniworld were very professional and went out of their way to ensure our needs were catered for.

We had already left Australia and were in Belgium when we received the news. They not only found a new cruise for us, we were given a full refund as well.

I would not hesitate to go with Uniworld again. We are actually going to book the cruise we would have originally taken. They arranged to get us to Prague from Budapest at no cost. The original cruise ended in Prague. The new on in Budapest.

Absolutely loved our cruise (even though we had no idea where we were going when we got on it). LOL

Yes - you have many choices. In other markets, it is more limited.

We are in the early planning stages for a 2013 river trip. It seems from the majority of comments that AMA, Avalon and Uniworld are together is something of a middle group -- not quite the top, but not the bottom either. We have been leaning towards AMA, but I have now heard some very nice comments -- on CC -- about Uniworld.

How about some comments from someone who has been on both to give me a comparison to help me choose.

Consider Vantage as well. We just completed a wonderful Vantage Russian River cruise. My story is posted elsewhere on cc.

I can't speak for Uniworld but itineraries for most of the river cruises are very similar as we saw many different lines along the Danube from Nuremberg to Budapest. I think the deciding factor for us in choosing AMA was 1. the bikes they have on board for use by the passengers, 2. free internet in cabin as well as wireless, and 3. three different groups for the walking tours...active, regular and gentle.

Both lines appear equivalent, Only done Uniworld, but considered AMA as an equal. Uniworld has bikes too, (not as many as on an AMA boat), we had free wireless on our previous 2 Uniworlds (depends on the ship), and the walking tours usually were adjusted to the level of physical capability of the groups.

From the one perspective only, I like Uniworld, but if a cruise from AMA appealed I would not hesitate.

Loved everything about the cruise. Food and staff were excellent. Included shore tours had excellent english-speaking guides and walking tours were set up so that one group was slow-paced. Optional tours were interesting and clearly explained, not over-hyped, and reasonably priced IMHO. Bikes were available. We were not able to embark in Basel due to a problem at the locks so we were bused to Breisach where we stayed 2 overnights. All shipboard activities continued as originally scheduled. Cruise manager did an excellent job.

My first river cruise, and I'm already researching the next one. I especially like the up-close-and-personal aspect of being able to visit small towns and cities and seeing life unfolding along the river banks.

Loved everything about the cruise. Food and staff were excellent. Included shore tours had excellent english-speaking guides and walking tours were set up so that one group was slow-paced. Optional tours were interesting and clearly explained, not over-hyped, and reasonably priced IMHO. Bikes were available. We were not able to embark in Basel due to a problem at the locks so we were bused to Breisach where we stayed 2 overnights. All shipboard activities continued as originally scheduled. Cruise manager did an excellent job.

My first river cruise, and I'm already researching the next one. I especially like the up-close-and-personal aspect of being able to visit small towns and cities and seeing life unfolding along the river banks.

the2ofus, did you use Uniworld's transfers from the airport or did you make your way to the ship on your own? Also, I am curious as to the name of your cruise manager. My cruise last December had many weather issue and Christine, the cruise manager, did an amazing job. Thanks for the info.

bree

the2ofus, did you use Uniworld's transfers from the airport or did you make your way to the ship on your own? Also, I am curious as to the name of your cruise manager. My cruise last December had many weather issue and Christine, the cruise manager, did an amazing job. Thanks for the info.

bree

We did not use the Uniworld transfers at either end because we decided to spend 4 days in Switzerland before the cruise and 2 days in Brugge, Belgium afterward. Onboard, we asked for and received gracious help with train schedules and hotel reservations for our post-cruise sightseeing. I was impressed with how smoothly disembarkation was handled with taxis called according to each person's travel plans.

I'm embarrassed to say that I have already forgotten the names of the Captain, Cruise Manager (both from the Netherlands) and Hotel Manager. Needing to keep my luggage under the weight limit I disposed of all unnecessary paper. The Captain and Cruise Manager rotated off the ship at the end of our cruise.

did you use Uniworld's transfers from the airport or did you make your way to the ship on your own?

bree

Hi Bree

We did the Uniworld Rhone river cruise 2 years ago and used their transfers without a problem. Last year on the Nuremberg to Vienna Christmas market cruise we did our own inbound to the ship in Nuremberg but used the Uniworld transfer to the Airport in Vienna again with no problem.

We are doing the same thing this year for our Nuremberg to Frankfurt Christmas market run.

Mark

We are taking the Basel to Amsterdam cruise on the Antoinette on October 2.Really looking forward to it but have no idea which of the excursions should not be missed.Just wondering if you could share which you liked best.Thanks!! This is our first river cruise but we have taken several on Oceania and Windstar and are looking forward to trying something new.

I'm embarrassed to say that I have already forgotten the names of the Captain, Cruise Manager (both from the Netherlands) and Hotel Manager. Needing to keep my luggage under the weight limit I disposed of all unnecessary paper. The Captain and Cruise Manager rotated off the ship at the end of our cruise.

the2ofus,

Not a problem, just wondered if it was "my" wonderful cruise manager from my Xmas cruise :)

You mentioned in your previous post that you could not embark in Basel and were bussed to Breisach. Were there busses at the dock or what? Since I travel solo, I kind of like to have an idea of what unexpected things to expect :D

Hi Bree

We did the Uniworld Rhone river cruise 2 years ago and used their transfers without a problem. Last year on the Nuremberg to Vienna Christmas market cruise we did our own inbound to the ship in Nuremberg but used the Uniworld transfer to the Airport in Vienna again with no problem.

We are doing the same thing this year for our Nuremberg to Frankfurt Christmas market run.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I did Vienna to Nuremerg last year and used Uniworld's transfer from the Airport too. It was great. This time I am spending a few days in Switzerland before joining the cruise and will not be using their transfer. Hence my questions :)

Archived