Dinner Jackets worn?

tuppence

Hi just after a bit of advice please. We are going on Grandeur in October for a seven day cruise and the men in our group would really like to wear their DJs for the formal night but dont want to be the only men in MDR in them!! Havent been on RCL for a couple of years and so not sure what is worn. On P&O most do but could anyone help me please:)?

I am assuming that as you refer to dinner jacket as opposed to tux, that you are from the UK? The answer is yes, on all our cruises apart from on NCL, my DH has worn a dinner jacket. For us it is a very enjoyable part of cruising, it is so nice to see people all dressed up and looking spiffy.

We were on the Grandeur in July. Although it was more casual than other RCL cruises we've sailed on, there were a number of people in DJs (my husband & our friend included). I would say around 20% wore them.

I've talked to several members of the Allure staff about dress in the MDR. I'm told that it's the same issue as kids in the CL. Some suite guests have complained that they don't want to dress up for the MDR. They don't see how it should affect anyone else. So, Adam and the RCCL staff will not ever challenge anyone's dress in the MDR. Since RCCL still seems to command a premium price and the ships sail full, don't look for anyone to cahnge the casual dress in the MDR.

Men's dress on formal night on RC

Per Radio:

“Tonight was Formal night, and I would say about 10% of the males were in tuxes. . . There were about 50% who were in Suits or Sport coats. I was one of the 30% who wore a dress shirt and tie. The other 10 % wore just about anything they wanted. . . I will leave my comments at the door.“

I agree. I have also seen dress military uniforms and dress versions of clothes from other cultures (such as Japan).

For women, also a broad range. Black slacks/skirt with glittery top to gowns. The most striking I have seen is a little Japanese woman in a white formal kimono gown. Next to that would have to be what ever my wife is wearing.

Archived