911 Memorial Passes

beachlady60

The 9/11 Preview Memorial Center is FREE and is located on Vesey St between Broadway and Church Streets, next to St Paul's Chapel. It has a scale model of the future buildings on the WTC site as well as the Memorial. It also sells WTC memorabilia (FDNY baseball caps for example).

I believe they are also distributing passes to the Memorial if there have been any cancellations or more passes become available. It is not guarenteed but it may be a way to get a pass.

The 9/11 Visitors Center is located on Liberty St on the South side of the WTC site and there is an admission charge to that. They offer walking tours of the WTC site but NOT the memorial.

Next to the Visitor Center is Ladder Company 10 Fire House which is home to the FDNY Memorial (which is accessible to the public).

One other thing I noticed - NYC Taxi Tours which is a HOHO bus company similar to Grayline but with FAR fewer buses running - but they are offering a tour that combines their downtown tour with a memorial pass. Not sure how they are guarenteeing everyone a pass but their website says they are an official transportation partner so they may have some sort of deal.

I hope this helps.

One last thing - The official Museum which will be alongside the Memorial pools will not open until September 2012.

We visited the 9/11 Memorial last week and they were giving out additional passes that day!

You can also see the Freedom Tower and all the other buildings under construction now!

There is no harm in trying to get passes and there is plenty to see in lower Manhattan.

I was on the site today, and it only shows passes available through March. And the schedule shows it open until March. What then? My cruise is at the end of April and we had intended on spending the day in the city before driving home. I emailed, but received an automatic response. Anyone know?

I was on the site today, and it only shows passes available through March. And the schedule shows it open until March. What then? My cruise is at the end of April and we had intended on spending the day in the city before driving home. I emailed, but received an automatic response. Anyone know?

Just keep checking back. They'll open up later dates eventually. Your cruise is 7 months away...you have plenty of time.

I too went there yesterday.

http://photo2.walgreens.com/walgreens/fe/p/dasta/Main/AlbumID=11632451002/a=15828047#ss=%7B%22uc%22%3A2%2C%22aid%22%3A11632451002%2C%22vp%22%3A%22g%22%2C%22sb%22%3A5%7D

Its a large site. Without the museum being open there is no context.

My impression was they were accommodating all people even those without a pass. The only place that was a little crowded was the area that you were screened(like at an airport)....

Just keep checking back. They'll open up later dates eventually. Your cruise is 7 months away...you have plenty of time.

Uh, yeah, I know when my cruise is :) What I was asking was if it has plans to close again temporarily to do more work or something. The site is showing that the hours of operation were from September 2011 to March 2012. It's giving me the impression that it won't be open at all beyond March.

HOURS OF OPERATION

Sept. 12, 2011 through Jan. 8, 2012:

M-F 10:00 am-8:00 pm

Sa-Su 9:00 am-8:00 pm

Last entry at 7:00pm

Jan. 9,2012 through Mar. 10, 2012:

M-Su 10:00 am-6:00 pm

Last entry at 5:00pm

The 9/11 Memorial is meant to be experienced at all times of the day. Please consider both day and evening hours when reserving your Visitor Pass.

Uh, yeah, I know when my cruise is :) What I was asking was if it has plans to close again temporarily to do more work or something. The site is showing that the hours of operation were from September 2011 to March 2012. It's giving me the impression that it won't be open at all beyond March.

I'm sure they're going to reassess the admission process to the memorial after it's been in operation for a couple of months and the initial rush to visit it has slowed. Once that's done they'll post an extended schedule, or perhaps do away with the need for passes altogether.

The point of my comment about your cruise being 7 months away is if you checked availability through the month of March, you'll see passes are readily available for any day you wish to visit when planning that far in advance. If you just check back periodically, there's no reason to believe passes won't be available for April 2012 when the booking process opens for that month. There's no reason to be concerned just because you can't reserve passes today.

they are working on the on site museum which hopefully will be open by then. I suspect how they provide the tickets and site access will change by then....

According to their FAQs, the museum won't be open until September, 2012...no doubt immediately after the 2012 remembrance ceremony, so that the victims' families can be the first to officially visit the museum.

There's no reason to be concerned just because you can't reserve passes today.

Not concerned. Just curious. I like to be informed, which is why I asked.

smeyer - I did too :) I got sort of an automated response that didn't really address what I was asking. I'll wait and see what happens.

Archived