SD I March 20-27 review

Jim Avery

Hi Jim --and all the rest who are monitoring these boards for the children on board debate. I've been considering a cross-Atlantic voyage. As previously advised by Sea Dream management, I inquired from Sea Dream about the children on board --

The response I received from the "personal vacation consultant" was not what I expected.

My question (exact words): Finally, are any passengers currently booked under 18 - if so, how many

please?

His answer (exact words): For security reasons I am unable to give you the specific

ages booked. However, I can say from experience that it is not the norm

to have teenagers booked on the transatlantic.

So as I read this ---- which is in direct conflict from the letters I have received from Sea Dream upper management -- you can't tell how many terrible toddlers will be on board.

Well, so much for that idea.

FT

Wow! I'm so happy they are protecting us from those baddies out there that might do something bad based on the age demographics of a particular cruise. Just when you think you have heard all the dumb stuff there is, someone comes up with a doozy. FT, I know you and hubby feel safer knowing they wont give out ages anymore.

All the best,

Jim.

As I mentioned in another thread. I have done three transatlantic crossings, I have not seen any kids / teenagers nor have I heard of any being onboard during the crossings.

1+1 should be 2, Late October to early November a 12 day cruise, how many kids are out of school this time of year? It should be simple Math.

With the wonderful lecture program, I hope I'll be able to make it for the fourth time.

Enjoy your transatlantic with fellow guests your own age.:)

Upscale Cruiser --

Hopefully your analysis is correct -- but since SD management told us the March cruise nightmare was "out of the norm" and an exception, perhaps I'm being overcautious.

I can't imagine "sane" parents taking pre-school children on a cruise without amenities -but since it happened before, I'd hate to be stuck on a ship with them.

Any recommendations on airfare -- getting to Tenerife seems fairly expensive at this point?

Thanks

FT

• 2 weeks later...

:(

I should probably let sleeping dogs lie, but to all who have been interested in this thread -- I thought the written response we received from Adrienne d'Annunzio, Manager of SeaDream Club, regarding the Sea Dream's policy on children might be of interest ---

From a letter sent to us responding to our complaints regarding the March 20-27 Sea Dream cruise (we fondly refer to it as "the cruise from H - - -"), here are Mr. d'Annunzio's exact words:

"Indeed it was a rare voyage for us; we have never had that many children on on voyage. That voyage was an exception to our usual mix of guests."

"While children are permitted, all of our training to travel sellers advises that our yachts are not ideal for children; we are not the best suited product for children. When guests reserve directly with us and inquire about taking children, they too are advised that our yachts are not ideal for children as we provide little onboard programming and offer no child care. All our marketing materials promote a casually elegant yachting experience ideal for couples."

"Anytime you reserve, you may ask us if there are children reserved on your voyage and we will be pleased to advise you." (comment, I just tried this last week for an upcoming cruise and was told that due to security restrictions, this information could not be provided to me.)

While I hate to say it, if SeaDream adopted other lines "formal night", we might see fewer children on these voyages. Alternatively, if SeaDream adopted and enforced behavior standards (as the Disney line is great in doing) - - - such as no children in the bar areas, children who interfere with wait staff will be banned from dining room, screaming toddlers not present when Activities Director is discussing next days adventures, no unattended children running on deck (worrying about a 3yr old falling overboard definitely reduces our carefree experience), we could all be satisfied.

Happy travels -

FT

Very interesting letter you received FT. I do hope that SOMEONE from SD's marketing group is taking a look at this post in particular since there seems to be a major disconnect between what your letter says and what you were told when inquiring about the number of children on a particular voyage.

FT you are absolutely right on the behavior standards ...

Alternatively, if SeaDream adopted and enforced behavior standards (as the Disney line is great in doing) - - - such as no children in the bar areas, children who interfere with wait staff will be banned from dining room, screaming toddlers not present when Activities Director is discussing next days adventures, no unattended children running on deck (worrying about a 3yr old falling overboard definitely reduces our carefree experience), we could all be satisfied.

Heck I am even okay with behavior standards for adults as well :p

• 1 year later...
Jim~~~please come and join us on a Seabourn voyage! I've been sailing the Yachts for 6 years and have only sailed ONCE with ONE little girl about 10 yrs. of age. I've heard that a few are on board during the summer months in the Med., but I've not experienced children on the Pride or the Legend. Yes, I love my triple Grandsons, but not on a exclusive 6* cruise ship! Children should enjoy other lines~~~~Carnival, Disney, etc., etc. Many lines to choose from.....

I treated the Boys and their parents, to a Carnival Caribbean cruise (from Galveston) a few years ago.......they were ALL in heaven!

So sorry to hear that the beautiful Sea Dream's are allowing SO many children aboard an ADULT line. I had thought of booking a Sea Dream cruise, but now, am reconsidering!

(yes, I'm aware that the Sea Dream owners are former Seabourn owners)

We would loveee to "welcome you" to Seabourn!

'lest we forget, "The best Islands in the world are those that float and move.......their names are: The Legend, The Pride and The Spirit!"

Martita West Texas

Marita, my husband and I got to enjoye the fabulous Seabourn Spirit in late July (Athens to Istanbul) after I had just sailed SeaDream I (with Jim Avery of all people! in April) and I enjoyed them both immensely. Each has it's pros and cons but I have to say our ship was definitely not adults only! We had quite a few children on board but truthfully it wasn't a problem as they were all well-behaved (including the captain's 5 year old son and one year old daughter!). I'd sail SeaDream in the Caribbean and Seabourn for more exotic (or longer voyages).

Sea Dream sounds intriguing and I was thinking of booking with them...but, as many others have said here, I really don't want to cruise with kids (especially on a "luxury" line). Since SD's management obviously refuses to tell anyone if a particular cruise has children booked on it, perhaps someone ought to try the opposite tack: Ask Sea Dream to tell you if your cruise will be ADULTS ONLY, as that would be your preference. Perhaps they'll actually answer that question, since there's no sticky keep-the-kiddies-safe legal stuff involved there.

I have had the pleasure of three voyages on Sea Dream, and actually the Miami office has always been very forthcoming in telling me if there were children booked.

All three trips have been with children, never more than 4, and I have to again say that the children have been MUCH better behaved than certain groups of adults each voyage. I won't mention which country the folks with the loudest voices tend to be from, but it never fails that these adults make much more noise, are less respectful of other passengers, and are more annoying....

Although I would prefer an adults-only environment, age doesn't seem to be a factor in "childish" behavior.

I have had the pleasure of three voyages on Sea Dream, and have always found the Miami office to be very forthcoming about the number of children on board.

However, on each trip, the few children aboard have always been quieter and better behaved than certain groups of adults. I won't mention which country the loudest passengers invariably come from, but it never fails that the children have gone unnoticed, and the annoying passengers are adults with little respect for others. Free champagne doesn't necessarily bring out the best in some folks, I guess, and its certainly never the children who stand on deck and shout into their cellphones...

While I would prefer an adults only experience, age doesn't seem to be a factor in "childish" behavior.

Sea Dream sounds intriguing and I was thinking of booking with them...but, as many others have said here, I really don't want to cruise with kids (especially on a "luxury" line). Since SD's management obviously refuses to tell anyone if a particular cruise has children booked on it, perhaps someone ought to try the opposite tack: Ask Sea Dream to tell you if your cruise will be ADULTS ONLY, as that would be your preference. Perhaps they'll actually answer that question, since there's no sticky keep-the-kiddies-safe legal stuff involved there.

Before we cruised I did call and they were very forthcoming about kids on board.

• 3 months later...

Just returned from our second SDYC cruise -- SDII from San Juan. On first trip we had one teen. On this one we had 4 teens, 2 younger, and 1 infant. Is this a trend?? I thoroughly agree with Jim's comments. These are NOT ships for kids -- or for parents who insist on dragging them along. Problem is that setting an age limit would certainly run afoul of US anti-age discrimination laws. The ship is registered in the Bahamas, but the company is an American company. I wish they could. Better, I wish some of the "new money" could would show a bit more consideration for their fellow passengers. Since they don't do so in restaurants, in hotels or anywhere else, why should one expect them to onboard a cruise ship.

We also booked another voyage, but will question SDYC on this issue at least 90 days out.

Another suggestion -- avoid school holidays (in both the US and in Europe). I have a calendar that lists most. Clearly Christmas and Thanksgiving and June-August should be suspect. I wonder if the kid issue is as prevalent in SDYC cruises in the Med. Any input??

Another suggestion -- avoid school holidays (in both the US and in Europe). I have a calendar that lists most. Clearly Christmas and Thanksgiving and June-August should be suspect. I wonder if the kid issue is as prevalent in SDYC cruises in the Med. Any input??

I have been on 4 SeaDream Med cruises - and the youngest one on any 4 of them was my 21 year old daughter. I don't think it happens often in the Med from what I have seen.

Archived