Port Disembarkation

Pipkins

Hello - We have read about problems disembarking when Oceania uses a tender, in that ships tour passengers are given priority.

We are traveling Oceania (for the first time) on Marina: 19th September.

We have the offer of a tour beginning at 8.30 a.m. Marina is only docking at 8 a.m. Will we be held back whilst the ships tour passengers are allowed to disembark as a priority?

Many thanks.

Hello - We have read about problems disembarking when Oceania uses a tender, in that ships tour passengers are given priority.

We are traveling Oceania (for the first time) on Marina: 19th September.

We have the offer of a tour beginning at 8.30 a.m. Marina is only docking at 8 a.m. Will we be held back whilst the ships tour passengers are allowed to disembark as a priority?

Many thanks.

This is an awkward question to answer, but not for the reason that you've outlined.

While Oceania may or may not (depending on port schedules) need to get the ships tours off the ship "first thing", it should be noted that some levels of accommodation are guaranteed "priority" tendering.

As you don't specify what you have booked, and since there is no way of knowing in advance how many guests will want to exercise their priority on that morning, it seems that 8:30AM may be a little ambitious.

That being said, if you are determined to take the 8:30 tour, I would suggest that you make a point of discussing your timetable with the Concierge in advance of the morning in question. With notice,they will make every effort to accommodate.

If tendering & not docking go to the lounge as early as you can (with all your party)

If the ships tours are leaving at 8 am then get there with them

Get the tender ticket then wait in the lounge for them to call your number

You may be able to get on the first tenders with the ship's tours or you may just have to wait until they have room

It does not take long

If you DOCK then once the ship is cleared you can just walk off the ship

Lyn

As noted, it depends on whether you are docking or tendering for the tour. Even if the ship docks (or is in port if offshore), it may need to clear customs or be cleared by the local harbormaster before anyone can depart the ship. that might delay things. In our cruise in May/June, we also had some delays while the crew affixed the gangway, etc.

Our experience was that, when we needed to tender, we went to the show lounge (easy to find, that's where everyone is crowded around the exit doors) early to get tender tickets for the first departure. If I recall, they color coded the first three groups. that allowed them to also put ship tour groups into the mix. Many people then wandered out to the area of the stairs outside of the lounge in spite of the best effort of the crew to her them back inside the lounge. Of course, when the tender group was announced, we had the requisite mad dash to stand on clogged stairs for awhile before we got to exit.

For docking, similar issues with non-ship tour groups re folks standing near the exit. We did several private tours, so we met at the Mary Hart picture (all who have sailed Marina know where that is) and then joined the queue to exit. As always, getting there a little early and getting into line makes for an earlier exit. No matter how efficient the crew is, though, some people get very anxious about their escape to the outside world. After a little jostling, shuffling and bouncing down the gangway, though, you are miraculously free of the ship...

for private tours, my experience has been that, no matter what the set "meet time" is, the operators are more familiar than we are with the irregularities of their port, and will be pretty up on when you will be there. As long as you are diligent, and use some common sense, things should work out.

Regards, Bob H

This is an awkward question to answer, but not for the reason that you've outlined.

While Oceania may or may not (depending on port schedules) need to get the ships tours off the ship "first thing", it should be noted that some levels of accommodation are guaranteed "priority" tendering.

As you don't specify what you have booked, and since there is no way of knowing in advance how many guests will want to exercise their priority on that morning, it seems that 8:30AM may be a little ambitious.

That being said, if you are determined to take the 8:30 tour, I would suggest that you make a point of discussing your timetable with the Concierge in advance of the morning in question. With notice,they will make every effort to accommodate.

Thank you - all useful information. The particular port I am concerned about is Ashdod - I am sure this will not be a tender - but was anxious about being delayed for similar reasons. We are in a Penhouse 3. Whilst we have cruised before, it has mainly been Seabourn and Crystal, which all have less passengers. Looking forward to trying Oceania!

Thank you - all useful information. The particular port I am concerned about is Ashdod - I am sure this will not be a tender - but was anxious about being delayed for similar reasons. We are in a Penhouse 3. Whilst we have cruised before, it has mainly been Seabourn and Crystal, which all have less passengers. Looking forward to trying Oceania!

Ashdod is a very large port and not a tender one. You may however be held up by the passport and security check which is "face to face"with an Israeli agent and takes some time after docking. The ship can not be cleared until everyone has gone through this procedure. You will also have to walk out of the immediate area of the ship to meet your tour guide.The point is you probably will not be able to make it in 30 minuted from docking to meeting.

Having just been to Ashdod (In May), I can tell you there is no problem getting off the ship as soon as the ship is cleared and you have that "face to face" with Israeli security. Doesn't take long and I believe it was done by deck. Once that is done, get your group together and just walk off the ship - no priority whatsoever. And if you get off a little later, your tour will wait for you! It is done quite efficiently. Arlene;)

Archived