Captains cocktail party

billyelliot

When is the captains cocktail party on QM2 TA? On other lines it's usually 1st formal night. What drinks are served? Can you ask for something else? Thanks x

On ours the Britannia passengers went the first formal night and the Grill & Britannia Club guests on the second night.

I honestly cannot remember if the first captain's cocktail party was on the very first formal night but I am sure of the order (Britannia guests first etc).

As I recall they had champagne and orange juice. I remember asking for something else but I can't remember if I had to pay for it or not.

At the "Grills" cocktail party we were told we could order anything. To be sociable, we accepted the offered "champagne" which tasted suspiciously like Pol Acker or something of equal quality. So we discreetly ditched those glasses and made a request to a passing steward for a Queen Mary Cocktail and a G&T. The bubbly got a bit better, so it seemed, at the "Gold and above" cocktail party. At the senior officers' party it was quite drinkable. I don't know if it was Champagne or a reasonable substitute, but I was able to drink three glasses of it with no ill effects. I recall a few other drinks, such as G&T and pop, being offered on trays.

if one is lucky enough to be invited to one of these events, am I expected to pay for the drinks that are offered?

I believe you have to have at least "Gold" status to get an invite to the Captain's Party. If you qualify, get there EARLY if you want to sit. About all you can expect is one free drink.

On our last cruise it was SO crowded that we didn't get a drink. About all we got was a pokes in the ribs. Reminded me of being on the subway in Tokyo. The whole thing is about 30 minutes in length.

On my next cruise, I'm going to skip it and get a good seat at a piano bar and relax.

Captain's Party = BORING....

Hi StarFlyr

About all you can expect is one free drink.

In May '11, on a transatlantic crossing on QM2, I was part of a group of six, we were given a drink as we entered and at least twice after that a steward came to our table and offered us more.

On our last cruise it was SO crowded that we didn't get a drink.

See above.

The whole thing is about 30 minutes in length.

We spent over 45 minutes in the Queens Room before going to dinner, there were passengers enjoying the atmosphere, music and drinks when we left.

Very best wishes.

I believe you have to have at least "Gold" status to get an invite to the Captain's Party. If you qualify, get there EARLY if you want to sit. About all you can expect is one free drink.

On our last cruise it was SO crowded that we didn't get a drink. About all we got was a pokes in the ribs. Reminded me of being on the subway in Tokyo. The whole thing is about 30 minutes in length.

On my next cruise, I'm going to skip it and get a good seat at a piano bar and relax.

Captain's Party = BORING....

They can be boring, I agree, I have been to many of them and they tend to be the same old, same old, much better fun when you go with a group of friends.

I always manage to get 2 G&T,s never touch the fizzy wine, 30 mins is about right, otherwise your late for dinner, we always enter on the far side and miss the throng of people ,the bar now closes than it used too sooner leaving just the champers lol.

But your right arrive early, get a seat and couple of drinks, a few nibbles on the tables,but better still is the champagne bar and chocolate dipped strawberries

Have I misunderstood? Is the party only for past cunard members or everyone. It's our 1st Cunnard. On P&O there are G&Ts available on RCI iv only seen the fizzy stuff, apart from welcone back party, when theres more choice. Just wondered if I could have a red wine? X

Have I misunderstood? Is the party only for past cunard members or everyone. It's our 1st Cunnard. On P&O there are G&Ts available on RCI iv only seen the fizzy stuff, apart from welcone back party, when theres more choice. Just wondered if I could have a red wine? X

There is one party for every one, there maybe red wine on the trays, if not asl for one once you are inside the party, the more time you travel, ie Platinum or gold there more events there are

Thank you Rob. Sounds like other lines we've been on. Just another question for you. A lot of people have mentioned tables and sitting? Where is the party held? Ones Iv been to are in the Atrium and are standing?

Really can't wait now! Just over a week to go, the cases are out ready lol Thank you x

There are up to three different receptions, depending on the cruise length.

The first is the Captains welcome and is split into early Britannia, late, and Grills. They may be on different nights, or as on QV this year, they were all on the same night with Britannia's in the Queen's Room and Grills in the Winter Garden. This is the one when you get your photo taken with the Captain or his/her deputy.

There is also the World Club cocktail party for "Gold" and above, where you watch some 110 year old person receive their 200th bunch of flowers for spending the inheritance on Cunard.

Finally, on some cruises, there is the Senior Officer's Party for Platinum and Diamond members.

They all last less than one hour. That is to say, drinks stop when the host speaks.

The dreaded PA is pushed, but you don't have to punish yourself and can ignore it and order a proper drink, but be quick if you want two drinks!

I've noticed a drop in the numbers attending recently and estimate that only about 50% of those qualifying bother to turn up. We still attend as we've become aquainted with some of the staff.

Stewart

There are up to three different receptions, depending on the cruise length.

The first is the Captains welcome and is split into early Britannia, late, and Grills. They may be on different nights, or as on QV this year, they were all on the same night with Britannia's in the Queen's Room and Grills in the Winter Garden. This is the one when you get your photo taken with the Captain or his/her deputy.

There is also the World Club cocktail party for "Gold" and above, where you watch some 110 year old person receive their 200th bunch of flowers for spending the inheritance on Cunard.

Finally, on some cruises, there is the Senior Officer's Party for Platinum and Diamond members.

They all last less than one hour. That is to say, drinks stop when the host speaks.

The dreaded PA is pushed, but you don't have to punish yourself and can ignore it and order a proper drink, but be quick if you want two drinks!

I've noticed a drop in the numbers attending recently and estimate that only about 50% of those qualifying bother to turn up. We still attend as we've become aquainted with some of the staff.

Stewart

You have said perfectly, we too now know many of the staff, so we do attend them always manage 2 drinks :), almost always enter by the other door, you can always say hello to the captain later on the voyage or during the senior officers party, the latter is often held in the G32, winder garden or Queens room depending on the time of day, Im not keen on the late morning ones.

Thank you Rob. Sounds like other lines we've been on. Just another question for you. A lot of people have mentioned tables and sitting? Where is the party held? Ones Iv been to are in the Atrium and are standing?

Really can't wait now! Just over a week to go, the cases are out ready lol Thank you x

Bigmac has answered well, there are a lot of seats, so go a little early and sit round the sides, otherwise you have to stand.

Have a wonderful voyage:) we will be watching the sailaway from NYC that evening

Hey Rob! Just looking at your list of cruises youve been on! Wow Iv got a lot of catching up lol I see you are going on Navigator of the seas in 2013. That was our 1st cruise ship we went on in 2003. Don't think there is any feeling like the 1st time. I can remember walking on board and being amazed! She was the largest cruise ship at the time. X

Archived