Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future (Continued)

CC Help Jenn

What I do wonder is if people ever started using that outdoor area behind the CL. It was too cold in Alaska for anyone to want to sit out there.

I know you didn't spend time in the CL, Patti, but do you know if anyone used this area?

Just what was the weather like in Australia during the time you were there?

Gina

I'm not Patti but I was on the same B2B2B with Patti. I was in the CL everyday and the outdoor area was used very little--only a few times. Mostly when it was used, it was mostly only for a short period before the people came back inside. A few days it was too windy or too cold for it to be comfortable.

As far as the weather, we had a couple of hot days but mostly it was very nice and comfortable. Also had a few chilly days toward the end of the cruise when we were on the extreme southern part of Australia. So, we really had a wide range of temps but the bulk of the time was quite pleasant.

Linda (and C. D.)

It's great to hear about the cruise(s) we missed! Keep it coming! Will you be doing reviews on CC? Mine, about our "unusual" cruise from YVR to HNL, is posted.

I'm still waiting to hear from RCI (They've had my letter and supporting documentation for five weeks) about what the resolution of my claim will be. I did get a letter a week ago acknowledging the receipt of it and saying "I am very sorry to learn of the unfortunate incident you experienced. We never want our guests to go through this type of difficulty during their time with us." I'm hopeful they will do the right thing. The letter came from Kathleen Truscello, Corporate Guest Relations Advocate.

The insurance claim for the cruise we cancelled is pretty much settled. I was very pleased with how efficiently the process was handled. I was pleasantly surprised to receive an additional check yesterday for $300.00 for the fee charged by United to redeposit my miles, $75.00 for the "late booking" fee for the mileage seat HNL-LAX and $76.00 for the Santa Barbara Airbus (for two) to get home from LAX. This insurance was CruiseCare purchased from RCI through our travel agent.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA:cool:

What about this stuff on RD Patti? Were any of the ports as hot as Caribbean ports? I guess you were on during the early - mid Spring - their time. What did it really feel like?

Gina

Sorry, I missed this. :o I see that Linda did answer you. Here is how I found the weather to be. From Honolulu to French Polynesia it was quite nice. Warm just like the Caribbean. Once we got to Auckland.......complete change as it was cloudy and much cooler.......about 55-60 degrees the first day and rain and much colder the second day. In Sydney it was beautiful with temps about 75 degrees and clear. Our seas from Honolulu to Sydney were relative calm compared to what they could have been.

You don't get that hot sticky weather unless you are going up and over Australia........then you get very hot and humid air.

Also wanted to mention that once we left Honolulu about the 2nd or 3rd day..........internet access was hit and miss because you are out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and the signal would come and go. The WiFi in the cabins, though, was awesome (when it was available) and Jim was able to use our computer while in the cabin with no problem.

It's great to hear about the cruise(s) we missed! Keep it coming! Will you be doing reviews on CC? Mine, about our "unusual" cruise from YVR to HNL, is posted.

I'm still waiting to hear from RCI (They've had my letter and supporting documentation for five weeks) about what the resolution of my claim will be. I did get a letter a week ago acknowledging the receipt of it and saying "I am very sorry to learn of the unfortunate incident you experienced. We never want our guests to go through this type of difficulty during their time with us." I'm hopeful they will do the right thing. The letter came from Kathleen Truscello, Corporate Guest Relations Advocate.

The insurance claim for the cruise we cancelled is pretty much settled. I was very pleased with how efficiently the process was handled. I was pleasantly surprised to receive an additional check yesterday for $300.00 for the fee charged by United to redeposit my miles, $75.00 for the "late booking" fee for the mileage seat HNL-LAX and $76.00 for the Santa Barbara Airbus (for two) to get home from LAX. This insurance was CruiseCare purchased from RCI through our travel agent.

Frank, I would still contact Steiner Spa as they are the ones that provide the spa services on RCI ships. It was one of their employees that was responsible for your infection so they should be the ones that should be reviewing your claim, not RCI.

Edited by cruisenfever

Thanks for all that info - and the wifi info that I forgot to ask about or to use in Sept. Being in Alaska, we used 3G on our phones and never thought to use our free wifi coupons on board. Had I been thinking, I would have used one just to try out the wifi in the room. That should come in handy during our days on board next Spring.

Gina

Thanks for all that info - and the wifi info that I forgot to ask about or to use in Sept. Being in Alaska, we used 3G on our phones and never thought to use our free wifi coupons on board. Had I been thinking, I would have used one just to try out the wifi in the room. That should come in handy during our days on board next Spring.

Gina

You're welcome.

I meant to tell you that during one of our many conversations with Vikrim, he asked me if I knew Gina and her husband Denis........ that you were a cc person!!:D Of course I said Yes!!;)

Edited by cruisenfever

What I do wonder is if people ever started using that outdoor area behind the CL. It was too cold in Alaska for anyone to want to sit out there.

I know you didn't spend time in the CL, Patti, but do you know if anyone used this area?

Just what was the weather like in Australia during the time you were there?

Gina

Yes, many used that area. It was great for Sail Away watching too!!

We had HOT and we had very Chilly!! The ports were fairly good for weather, the odd shower but no real down pours all day in any port. We were lucky we thought.

Hot 90+ on the Top and Cool in the Down Under part.

I guess I was referring to the Van. to Hawaii part for the CL patio, I saw people out there and we sat out there too, it was very nice.

Patti had the right temperature changes. It was a bit of everything. When hot and humid we had the Flies in the N. part of AU!! That was not too pleasant:eek:

We all were doing the Australian Wave!! We saw a fellow with a hat with corks hanging on strings all around it and wondered about that hat.... Later we knew why!!!:D

I guess I was referring to the Van. to Hawaii part for the CL patio, I saw people out there and we sat out there too, it was very nice.

Patti had the right temperature changes. It was a bit of everything. When hot and humid we had the Flies in the N. part of AU!! That was not too pleasant:eek:

We all were doing the Australian Wave!! We saw a fellow with a hat with corks hanging on strings all around it and wondered about that hat.... Later we knew why!!!:D

Hanging corks keep flies away? :eek: :D

Gina

Gina

I guess so, it saves using both hands to wave them away constantly. They could be very annoying......landing on your glasses etc. etc.

We saw these hats for sale in some stores.

Dayle

Gina

OMG, they were terrible in Fremantle. You had to watch that they didn't get in your mouth, nose or ears. :eek: In fact, the day we departed from Fremantle, Jim was on Deck 12 taking pictures just before sail away. There were thousands of lady bugs all over Deck 12 along with black flies buzzing around.

OMG, they were terrible in Fremantle. You had to watch that they didn't get in your mouth, nose or ears. :eek: In fact, the day we departed from Fremantle, Jim was on Deck 12 taking pictures just before sail away. There were thousands of lady bugs all over Deck 12 along with black flies buzzing around.

And to think I was prepared to be on the lookout for snakes, spiders and scorpions. :rolleyes: ;)

Just don't tell me there were roaches everywhere. That might be a deal breaker. :eek:

Gina

And to think I was prepared to be on the lookout for snakes, spiders and scorpions. :rolleyes: ;)

Just don't tell me there were roaches everywhere. That might be a deal breaker. :eek:

Gina

Nope didn't see anything like that............BUT, you have to be careful of ants. They have some pretty nasty ones in Australia that bite!!

Hi Patti, I forgot the lady bugs all over our aft balcony!

BUT I am really afraid of spiders and was worried I would see one of the big hairy ones and NO spider sightings!! I would have seen them too, if they were out there.

No sign of a roach either.........just flies and lady bugs with brown zig zag stripes on their backs! Not the usual dots.

Hi Patti, I forgot the lady bugs all over our aft balcony!

BUT I am really afraid of spiders and was worried I would see one of the big hairy ones and NO spider sightings!! I would have seen them too, if they were out there.

No sign of a roach either.........just flies and lady bugs with brown zig zag stripes on their backs! Not the usual dots.

Ohhh...sounds weird. Some lady bugs bite, too.

In FL we have several varieties of ants that bite. I'm pretty bug tolerant by necessity. But NO roaches. I'll take a hairy spider over a roach. LOL

Gina

Ohhh...sounds weird. Some lady bugs bite, too.

In FL we have several varieties of ants that bite. I'm pretty bug tolerant by necessity. But NO roaches. I'll take a hairy spider over a roach. LOL

Gina

NO no, not for me.

I will kill the roach if you look after those leggy things..:eek:

Frank, I would still contact Steiner Spa as they are the ones that provide the spa services on RCI ships. It was one of their employees that was responsible for your infection so they should be the ones that should be reviewing your claim, not RCI.

Patti--

I considered doing that but was advised by an attorney friend that I should start with RCI since they were the party who marketed and collected payment for the "services" performed. We'll see what the final resolution is. I'm obviously disappointed in RCI for taking as long as they are with this.

On a much happier note I'm glad you were able to spend time with Vikram. We were looking forward to seeing him when he returned to the ship in Honolulu after spending time with him on the Coastal Cruise. Did he get the position as supervisor for the Specialty Restaurants or is he now the supervisor for the Windjammer?

Patti--

I considered doing that but was advised by an attorney friend that I should start with RCI since they were the party who marketed and collected payment for the "services" performed. We'll see what the final resolution is. I'm obviously disappointed in RCI for taking as long as they are with this.

On a much happier note I'm glad you were able to spend time with Vikram. We were looking forward to seeing him when he returned to the ship in Honolulu after spending time with him on the Coastal Cruise. Did he get the position as supervisor for the Specialty Restaurants or is he now the supervisor for the Windjammer?

I understand your thinking about services performed. However, an employee of RCI did not perform the service that caused you to get an infection, an employee of Steiner's did.

RCI markets and collects money for shore excursions also, but if you book an excursion, once you step foot off the ship, RCI is no longer responsible for you, the operator of the shore excursion is. If you get injured while on the excursion, you must deal with the operator of that excursion.

I do hope that RCI directs you in the right direction as far as who to contact.

Edited by cruisenfever

All--

We really enjoyed the wi-fi being available in the cabins. We had a good, strong signal most of the time between Vancouver and Honolulu with only a couple of "empty" spots along the way. In all of the ports in Hawai'i we had good, strong G3 signals and used that instead of the ship's wi-fi on our iPad2 and iPhones.

We had two Diamond coupons for free wi-fi service and that was more than enough. The iPad2 was very quick for downloading e-mail to read off line and just as quick for posting e-mail composed off line.

I would have to vote for the installation of the in-cabin wi-fi as the best of the enhancements. The new balcony furniture would be right behind that.

NO no, not for me.

It's a DEAL!! :D

I used to pay my kids to suck up a dead roach with the vacuum cleaner. I didn't want to be that close. :o ($1 a roach)

Gina

Edited by mommabean

Patti--

I can't speak for Vikram's current position. But it seems he does it all. He was Specialty Restaurant Manager in Alaska, WJ manager when he returned and MDR manager when Kumar has been away. Who knows where he is at any given moment. He seems to be able to handle anything.

And we still remember being scared of him on our first RD cruise through the PC in 2008 when he was our towering headwaiter. LOL He looked so big from down there in the chair. :p But by the end of that cruise we realized he was the greatest. It was a cruise soon after when he turned us onto the joys of MTD when he was HW over there.

It has been fun to watch Vikram rise through the ranks, hasn't it? One day the crew on that ship will be disbanded and it will be a sad day indeed.

Oh - I have to say I agree about the wifi even though I haven't used it. They should do that to all the ships. No dry dock needed obviously since they were installing all the cables on our 5 night San Diego - Vancouver cruise.

Gina

Edited by mommabean

NO no, not for me.

Dayle, I remember the first roach I saw when we were stationed in Okinawa. I was walking through the kitchen when I caught a glimpse of a mouse out of the corner of my eye. Turned and looked and it wasn't a mouse, it was a HUGE roach! Honest--I am not exaggerating, it was the size of a mouse. Got C. D.'s military boot and tried smashing him over and over, he just kept crawling away. Didn't think I would ever get him dead. Finally killed him after he went through the kitchen and through the utility room and was almost outside.

I have a real aversion to spiders also--had a couple of family members get bitten by brown recluse spiders and had to have Drs treatment.

Linda (and C. D.)

Oh Linda, that would freak me out!!!! Ugh ugh!! Don't tell Gina, she will get goose bumps and be hopping up and down for sure!!

I really don't like spiders and heard DD tell us stories from her Aussie GF of big hairy ones there!!! I was so lucky I never saw one and not even on our walks with the kangaroos that day or in the Rain Forest! I was even checking the buses on the excursions but they were RCL booked and all new and clean.:):D

Frank, good luck with getting a quick and satisfactory resolution to your problem on board. Glad you got sorted out with the insurance company but it was still sad to see you both leave the ship!

Ugh....it sounds like Linda was in Key West at night. NEVER walk the sidewalks in Key West after dark. Roaches on steroids come out. If you ever wondered why RCI left port in Key West at 2pm, you now know why. They get out of town before the monster roach invasion.

I don't want to look at a picture of one of those big things. :eek:

Gina

Floridians do not call them roaches .. they are Palmetto bugs :eek::D:eek:

Yeah, I always called them that. But most people don't know what you mean. When I moved to C. FL I found out the American cockroach that we call a Palmetto bug is not a true Palmetto Bug. My bug lady showed me a real Palmetto bug. Or so she says. It's a bit rounder than the one we all know and hate. And it smells REALLY bad when it gets squashed. It doesn't fly like the one we are familiar with. Although I wonder why we also call them American cockroaches since I saw them all over the Canary Islands. They probably call them Spanish cockroaches. :rolleyes: They were dead but still disgusting. I'd run when I saw one. My husband thought it was weird because he didn't see any. Yeah, well there was at least one dead one in the streets in every port.

Ick.

Gina