Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future (Continued)

CC Help Jenn

Oh gosh...I could throw up. If you could see my face.

The American cockroach - what a Floridian calls a Palmetto bug. I suppose we call them that because they live and breed abundantly in a Palmetto Palm at the base of the fronds in all that burlap like part of the plant.

Only for those with a tough stomach......http://www.google.com/search?q=american+cockroach&hl=en&nord=1&site=webhp&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=h-PSTprDHYKgtwfooMStDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1152&bih=749

You've been warned.

Gina

Yeah, I always called them that. But most people don't know what you mean. When I moved to C. FL I found out the American cockroach that we call a Palmetto bug is not a true Palmetto Bug. My bug lady showed me a real Palmetto bug. Or so she says. It's a bit rounder than the one we all know and hate. And it smells REALLY bad when it gets squashed. It doesn't fly like the one we are familiar with. Although I wonder why we also call them American cockroaches since I saw them all over the Canary Islands. They probably call them Spanish cockroaches. :rolleyes: They were dead but still disgusting. I'd run when I saw one. My husband thought it was weird because he didn't see any. Yeah, well there was at least one dead one in the streets in every port.

Ick.

Gina

I am with you .. in my opinion they are all ROACHES .. and are all DISGUSTING :eek:

All this talk about bugs is freaking me out!!! :eek:

Gina, who would then empty the vacuum cleaner bag/canister after the kids sucks them up? It certainly wouldn't of been me!!!!

Roaches the size of a mouse :eek: :eek: ...OMG.

Someone pass the anti itch cream.....I suddenly am itchy all over!!!

Gross....just gross! :p

Reading back over the few pages that I had missed while away, I came across this post and thought it was in need of some clarification.

From folks who are onboard (she will be in Auckland tomorrow) we have been hearing about the Norovirus outbreak that caused the usual precautions to be taken. A group of 40 have been selected at random to appear before New Zealand health officials at 6:30AM tomorrow. I believe that includes our own Patti and Jim!

Frank, I have no idea who on board gave you this information..........but it is about as inaccurate as it can be. Here is what actually happened.............

Yes, we were one of the lucky 80 people that were randomly selected, out of all passengers, to present ourselves to the "New Zealand Customs and Immigration" people at 6:30 in the AM the morning we arrived in Auckland. It had absolutely nothing to do with the Noro Virus outbreak or anyone being sick. In fact, by the time we had reached Auckland, things were under control and when we left Auckland we were able to serve ourselves.

The officials were set up in a room off the Adriatic Conference Center and when we were called, we walked into the room, handed our passports over, they looked at our passports then checked us off a list and said have a nice day. Why we were selected, we have no idea...........but we had several of our CC friends with us to keep us company, all of us as healthy as can be.

Just for the record, they will be doing this every time they get to Auckland..........and it includes both randomly selected passengers and crew.

Edited by cruisenfever

We figured Patti and Jim were extra special...........we were happy to not be selected...:D

We were also selected and I was NOT a happy camper to have to get up at 6 am for this. We sat in the room waiting to be called for 20 minutes or so. Once we got called it took all of 30 seconds to walk into the next room, have them glance at our passports and we were free to leave. They didn't ask us any questions or anything. What a bunch of nonsense.

Linda (and C. D.)

We figured Patti and Jim were extra special...........we were happy to not be selected...:D

We were also selected and I was NOT a happy camper to have to get up at 6 am for this. We sat in the room waiting to be called for 20 minutes or so. Once we got called it took all of 30 seconds to walk into the next room, have them glance at our passports and we were free to leave. They didn't ask us any questions or anything. What a bunch of nonsense.

Linda (and C. D.)

Now I see how something, as insignificant as what we were summoned to do, can get blown out of proportion and made to sound so dramatic.:eek::rolleyes: So glad that we were there to prove these stories are not accurate.

Now I see how something, as insignificant as what we were summoned to do, can get blown out of proportion and made to sound so dramatic.:eek::rolleyes: So glad that we were there to prove these stories are not accurate.

The 4 of you are special people!! :)

We were just lucky not to be selected....

LOL..how true. It reminds me of THE TELEPHONE GAME only its on a ship.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hope all is well with you. We'll be on the EN for her March 19th sailing. Any chance you could join us?

Hi Libby, we are both doing well, thank you for asking. Would love to join you on EN but we are doing 3 cruises on RD beginning May 1 in Alaska. Any chance you could join us?

Give Bob a Hug from us.

Patti--

I should have listened to you! After nine weeks, RCI has passed the buck on the staph infection I got from acupuncture onboard Radiance to Steiner Transocean, the spa concessionaire.

Several people on our current roll call have suggested writing directly to Adam Goldstein. I'm considering that but I'm also in touch with a cruise/maritime lawyer.

Do they really have so many complaints that it takes this long to get a response? Or is it a case of being badly understaffed? Both letters I've had from them in the nine weeks since they received my letter and documentation -- including the ship's doctor's diagnosis and my own doctor's evaluation and photographs of the infection as it progressed -- were clearly form letters.

This is one Diamond member who is not impressed.

Frank in sunny but cool SBA:cool:

Patti--

I should have listened to you! After nine weeks, RCI has passed the buck on the staph infection I got from acupuncture onboard Radiance to Steiner Transocean, the spa concessionaire.

Several people on our current roll call have suggested writing directly to Adam Goldstein. I'm considering that but I'm also in touch with a cruise/maritime lawyer.

Do they really have so many complaints that it takes this long to get a response? Or is it a case of being badly understaffed? Both letters I've had from them in the nine weeks since they received my letter and documentation -- including the ship's doctor's diagnosis and my own doctor's evaluation and photographs of the infection as it progressed -- were clearly form letters.

Hi Frank. I am so sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble.

Even though RCI provided the service and profited from the service they did not "perform" the service so they can not be held accountable. You will have to deal with Steiner.

After the first of the year, I would email Adam Goldstein with a copy to Lisa Bauer who is Senior VP of Hotel Operations. Don't know if it will do any good, but I think they should be aware of what is happening on "their" ships.

Hope all is well with you. We'll be on the EN for her March 19th sailing. Any chance you could join us?

Hi Libby, would love to see you and Bob and Reyno but we will be winging our way to LA to spend a couple days before we fly to Sydney and start our 6 weeks on Radiance. I should pick your brain as we will be doing the reverse of what you guys did in the Fall.

Patti--

I'm not impressed either. :( I'm sorry to hear that they won't at least intervene in any way on your behalf. Their name is on all the signs offering the spa services so you'd think they'd take some responsibility and at least offer something to try to make it right.

This is a perfect example of why I'd warn anyone against letting the spa perform any of the cosmetic services they are now offering - all by needle. Botox specifically but there are other things offered. Having experience on land with this, I know it can take a week for the full effect to take place - so even if they don't use an unsanitary needle - no one would know for sure if they needed any touch up until they were off the ship assuming they are on a 7 day cruise or less. But that would be the least of their problems, obviously, considering what you've gone through.

This is very scary, Frank. I hope RCI eventually does right by you. The more of a hassle they put you through, the more compensation I think you deserve.

Keep us updated as this progresses. At this point, I hope you are 100% recovered.

Gina

Keep us updated as this progresses. At this point, I hope you are 100% recovered.

Gina

The infection responded well to the treatment I got when I returned home. High power oral antibiotics, an antibiotic injection and lancing and draining of the site were needed. My primary care doctor said that the antibiotics prescribed by the ship's doctor were not nearly strong enough and that the infection would, most likely, have continued or worsened if we had not gotten off the ship in Honolulu and sought treatment. I had a large bump on my calf and numbness for about a month afterwards but that has now gone.

I'm looking forward to having the arthroscopic surgery on the ninth so we can get back to fun things like cruising!

Frank in sunny and warm SBA (mid-70's today):cool:

The infection responded well to the treatment I got when I returned home. High power oral antibiotics, an antibiotic injection and lancing and draining of the site were needed. My primary care doctor said that the antibiotics prescribed by the ship's doctor were not nearly strong enough and that the infection would, most likely, have continued or worsened if we had not gotten off the ship in Honolulu and sought treatment. I had a large bump on my calf and numbness for about a month afterwards but that has now gone.

I'm looking forward to having the arthroscopic surgery on the ninth so we can get back to fun things like cruising!

Frank in sunny and warm SBA (mid-70's today):cool:

So sorry to hear of all the troubles you have had during and since the procedure!!! So wise of you to have left the ship and get good medical treatment though. Just so unnecessary and I hope you can get to the right source to receive some compensation.

I had a cold/flu on the ship and my Dr. also said the antibiotics from the Clinic were not very strong, for what I described to her. It took me forever to get over that bug!!! Glad I went to the Clinic though but perhaps a stronger pill would have nabbed the bug sooner.

Hoping the New Year is a wonderful one for you and you are on the Seas ASAP!!!:)

Dayle

So sorry to hear of all the troubles you have had during and since the procedure!!! So wise of you to have left the ship and get good medical treatment though. Just so unnecessary and I hope you can get to the right source to receive some compensation.

I had a cold/flu on the ship and my Dr. also said the antibiotics from the Clinic were not very strong, for what I described to her. It took me forever to get over that bug!!! Glad I went to the Clinic though but perhaps a stronger pill would have nabbed the bug sooner.

Hoping the New Year is a wonderful one for you and you are on the Seas ASAP!!!:)

Dayle

Dayle, didn't the doctor on board want to give you a Z-pack but you couldn't take it because you have had reactions to the medication so they just gave you amoxicillin? Or am I thinking of somebody else. We sure did have a lot of upper respiratory problems on board for all cruises plus the infamous Cruise Cough.

Edited by cruisenfever

Dayle, didn't the doctor on board want to give you a Z-pack but you couldn't take it because you have had reactions to the medication so they just gave you amoxicillin? Or am I thinking of somebody else. We sure did have a lot of upper respiratory problems on board for all cruises plus the infamous Cruise Cough.

Hi Patti, no not me. It was the first time I ever visited a Clinic, last too I hope!:D The pills worked but my Dr. said it was not what she would have given me......but I got better!!!

Yes, there were some doozy Aussie bugs with lots of coughing etc. and then the Noro came on board too!

Hi Patti, no not me. It was the first time I ever visited a Clinic, last too I hope!:D The pills worked but my Dr. said it was not what she would have given me......but I got better!!!

Yes, there were some doozy Aussie bugs with lots of coughing etc. and then the Noro came on board too!

OK, then it was somebody else.