Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future (Continued)

CC Help Jenn

Isn't it odd that land rats are always that attracted to ships? Rats have such a fear of new things in their environment, that it always surprises me that they would go off exploring. :rolleyes:

Item No.: 40

Site: Integrated Pest Management-Rodent Guards

Violation: The rodent guards were located extremely close to the vessel, allowing rodents easy access to the vessel. According to the integrated pest management monitoring logs, rodents have been sighted on the vessel.

Recommendation: Ensure that the rodent guards are placed to prevent rodents from accessing the vessel.

:D

Isn't it odd that land rats are always that attracted to ships? Rats have such a fear of new things in their environment, that it always surprises me that they would go off exploring. :rolleyes:

Item No.: 40

Site: Integrated Pest Management-Rodent Guards

Violation: The rodent guards were located extremely close to the vessel, allowing rodents easy access to the vessel. According to the integrated pest management monitoring logs, rodents have been sighted on the vessel.

Recommendation: Ensure that the rodent guards are placed to prevent rodents from accessing the vessel.

:D

I wondered if anyone else would read that far. Too gross!! So far, I haven't seen a bug. I sure hope to never see a rat on board.

Gina

I wondered if anyone else would read that far. Too gross!! So far, I haven't seen a bug. I sure hope to never see a rat on board.

Gina

BTW there is room for 10 more people on the 3/4 day Polynesian Lagoon tour with lunch in Bora Bora. On the Radiance transpacific (I guess it will be a TP :D) in April. I know you're onboard...do you want to join us?:D

I'm sure the rat guards will be adusted by then. ;)

Edited by Coralc

Looks like things are progressing well for the Radiance, at least everything appears fixable. Will the ship be inspected when it is in Australia too?

I too like to bring water on board for drinking hopefully will not have a problem in Sydney. If we do, maybe can get some in New Zealand.

Hi all; I am looking for some cabin information I can't find on the cabin compilation forum. We usually have a JS, GS or cabin 9092 on the Radiance. This cabin is not available so we booked cabin 9576. Pros/cons please if you have any. Thanks. :)

I had 9576 booked once and changed rooms. I found out it didn't have the corner shelves at the end of the desk areas like the majority of the other D categories have. In fact, all the D hump cabins have various differences in the shelves. Some have a smaller shelf area on the end of the desk by the bathroom. 9586 has the normal roomy curved shelves which I find most helpful when cruising in anything less than a JS. I do have 9584 booked for 30 days next Spring. But I hope to move since I found out the shelves aren't what I expected. Yes, that little thing matters to me. But it's likely I'll end up staying put since it's extremely unlikely the prices will come down enough for me to book a JS. I think, from what I've read, that 9576 has no shelves at all on either end of the desk. This leads me to believe the cabin is a bit shorter than the other Ds. I don't know this for a fact, but why else would they delete the shelves?

Gina

Gina

We had a cricket onboard during our 10-night MR cruise last year. It was very noisy until it heard footsteps, then got quiet, which is why it lasted the entire cruise (and then some, I would imagine). It was right outside one of the OS cabins.

All--

I'm glad I read a bit further in the last message on the "old" thread! And it's good to see some familiar faces/names here.

We were booked B2B YVR-HNL and HNL-SYD but had to leave the ship in HNL.

I strained a tendon behind my right knee -- or have a small muscle tear -- and went to the Medical Center for help. The doctor on duty gave me a knee brace and some muscle relaxants and suggested rest. I also decided to go to the acupuncturist in The Spa because I had had good results for a similar problem in the past. At some point after two or three procedures I developed a serious infection at the site where the needles had been inserted. We went back to the Medical Center the morning we arrived in Honolulu and both doctors STRONGLY advised not continuing on. They prescribed antibiotics.

This was a tough decision but, in retrospect, the right one. When I saw my own doctor two days later I was given a shot and stronger antibiotics. The lab results showed "ordinary" staph A which was a relief.

The infection is healing and I see my orthopedic guy on Thursday for an evaluation of this problem's root.

I was very pleased with the attention I got in the Medical Center. The nurses and both doctors were professional and the charges -- $220.00 total for both visits and medication -- were very reasonable.

We have filed an insurance claim for the second cruise (ALWAYS buy the insurance!) and were able to redeposit the frequent flier miles for the return trip. United (and Continental) now charge $150 per person to do this. We had booked a land tour post-cruise with AAT/Kings and will get a refund of 80%.

Now, for Radiance. She looks great! I was somewhat limited in mobility (used a cane and wheelchair for much of the trip) but really liked what I saw. We were happy to find that a favorite waiter, Andrew, from Navigator is now onboard. He and his assistant, Agnelo, gave us great service. The food was very good in the MDR -- predictable, however. The menus have not changed since our first Radiance cruise in 2009. We ate at Chops one night and had the usual wonderful experience.

Our cabin, 7534, was one of the E2s that has a larger balcony. You do lose some privacy because the divider only goes out half way but the space was appreciated. The new deck furniture looks good and is comfortable with a table high enough and big enough for room service breakfast.

Bobby and Becky Brown are a great team as CD and AD. They seemed to be everywhere.

There were too many Diamond members for the capacity of the new lounge so they were also using part of the Royal Viking Lounge. We very much liked that since this is a "real" lounge and not a Diamond "event" cocktails were complimentary. The bar service was hit and miss but one of the servers, Nickson, did a very good job.

From folks who are onboard (she will be in Auckland tomorrow) we have been hearing about the Norovirus outbreak that caused the usual precautions to be taken. A group of 40 have been selected at random to appear before New Zealand health officials at 6:30AM tomorrow. I believe that includes our own Patti and Jim!

I'm planning on writing a review soon from the perspective of someone using a cane and/or being pushed in a wheelchair. Staff and crew were great but I was really surprised that some passengers saw me as a "bother". This included things like not holding an elevator or going around us to board. On three occasions people coming out of the Diamond Lounge didn't hold the door when they saw us coming in.

The two tender ports (Lahaina and Kona) were a challenge but the crew did a GREAT job of getting me and the wheelchair on and off the tenders.

Hopefully we will have another chance to cruise on Radiance so we can fully enjoy her!

Frank in sunny and warm SBA:cool:

Frank,

I'm sorry to hear of your problems. What a disappointment to have to miss an entire leg of your cruise, but better than missing an entire leg off your body. You just never know and don't want to be at sea on a ship if things take a turn for the worse. You were smart to disembark in Hawaii.

There are always rude people on board when it comes to elevators but I imagine it was especially frustrating when you can't run and stick your arm in the almost closed door to make a quick save. :(

I wondered how the GI illness was coming along. It will be interesting to hear Patti and Jim's experience with the NZ health officials.

I can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Did you try any of the other new specialty restaurants? We never did get around to trying Samba grill during our short 7 days on board.

Say hi to Norm for me.

Gina

Gina--

Thanks for the good thoughts and kind words. We knew as soon as the doctors spoke that there was really only one possible choice. Luckily things fell into place and returning home was relatively easy.

We did try the Park Cafe several times. It's a good addition and some of the items they offer are really good. It's a little too hot and humid in the Solarium to be comfortable for eating so we usually took stuff back to our cabin our out by the main pool.

We heard from several crew that Rita's was not doing well except for the Margaritas. Izumi was never full. I think people were put off by the combination of a cover charge and then a la carte pricing. Everyone, crew included, seems to miss The Ocean View Cafe. Nobody seemed to know much about The Chef's Table. At $95.00 a person it's a bit steep.

We should hear soon about the experience in Auckland. Let's hope it's not like "the Plague Ship" greeting that we got in Callao on Radiance when the local TV crews thought we were coming from Mexico bringing the Swine Flu! The Kiwis are probably too busy with the Rugby World Cup.:D

Frank in dark and cool SBA:cool: (Norm says Hi!)

I'm so sorry you guys had to leave the cruiise early.

I'm a little concerned about your report of infection at the acupuncture needle site. It's like the reports of the bad outcomes from their onboard "teeth whitening" treatments.

I'm glad they were able to clear it up with antibiotics, it could have been much worse. It just sort of confirms my doubts about spa treaters. Things that should probably be left to actual professionals. Not just on Radiance, but on any of the ships. Thanks for posting about it. And I'm sorry that you missed the rest of the voyage.

~Patti :)

Hi, Patti--

As I said, I had a very positive experience once before on a ship (Navigator) which is why I felt comfortable with this. I think the person who did the procedure on Radiance was pretty well grounded in acupuncture but I honestly don't remember that she used an alcohol swab before placing the needles. That's always been SOP on the ship and ashore for these treatments.

I'm in the process of writing a letter to the "Resolution Department" at RCI. My doctor here is also writing a letter with his opinion. I'm not a litigious person so I hope it can be resolved. At the very least I feel that I'm owed a refund for the treatments and for the doctor visit.

When we went to Guest Relations to tell them that we were going to have to leave the ship the next day the young woman we dealt with was surprisingly not very empathetic. Her first question was, "Have you spoken to us about this before?". She did offer to let us make a phone call or have some extra internet time.

Frank in dark and cool SBA:cool:

Gina--

Thanks for the good thoughts and kind words. We knew as soon as the doctors spoke that there was really only one possible choice. Luckily things fell into place and returning home was relatively easy.

We did try the Park Cafe several times. It's a good addition and some of the items they offer are really good. It's a little too hot and humid in the Solarium to be comfortable for eating so we usually took stuff back to our cabin our out by the main pool.

We heard from several crew that Rita's was not doing well except for the Margaritas. Izumi was never full. I think people were put off by the combination of a cover charge and then a la carte pricing. Everyone, crew included, seems to miss The Ocean View Cafe. Nobody seemed to know much about The Chef's Table. At $95.00 a person it's a bit steep.

We should hear soon about the experience in Auckland. Let's hope it's not like "the Plague Ship" greeting that we got in Callao on Radiance when the local TV crews thought we were coming from Mexico bringing the Swine Flu! The Kiwis are probably too busy with the Rugby World Cup.:D

Frank in dark and cool SBA:cool: (Norm says Hi!)

Silly guy...it's the SEA view Cafe. LOL I surely miss it but we did get a Seaview "fix" on Serenade of the Seas in August.

Since we went to the Park Cafe in Alaska, the Solarium location was great. The only problem for us was lunch time seating - there wasn't enough.

I am still wondering what happened to the first pricing for Izumi - a cover charge that went towards the cost of the food ordered. I was disappointed to find out this didn't happen as we were first told it would be. I asked about it while there and no one who worked there had even heard of the initial pricing plan. :( I think the restaurant would do much better if they implemented this pricing.

All I heard about the Chef's table is that it was usually only booked 2 or 3 times a week at most. I think that was the biggest mistake made - moving the card room. Now this area is wasted space for the majority of the cruise.

So, no Samba Grill for you either I take it?

Gina

Hello sbalax...sorry you had to cancel your second leg of your B2B.

Your health and well being is what is most important!

Glad you are doing better and under the care of your own doctors.

Great insight from a cane/wheelchair user, those rude passengers who don't hold doors or practically run you over are simply nothing more than clods, some people today just are all about ME, ME, ME.

The noro will be interesting to see what happens with the NZ medial standards. Sorry Patti and Jim are part of it.

Thank goodness for insurance and able to re-coop most of your money.

Hope you continue with good health and get your leg back in good condition.

Linda

Linda--

Thanks for the good thoughts. Looking at your past cruises you must have gotten off Radiance in San Diego while we were boarding.;)

Gina--

RE: "Ocean" View. I'm blaming that one on the first glass of wine I've had since we got home!:D And you are right, there is too little seating for the Park Cafe where it is located now. We saw a lot of "take away". Trays would help with that.

Frank in sunny and soon to be warm SBA:cool:

Linda--

Thanks for the good thoughts. Looking at your past cruises you must have gotten off Radiance in San Diego while we were boarding.;)

Frank in sunny and soon to be warm SBA:cool:

Ahhhh, I guess we did!!! You did the 5 day repo before the refit in YVR?

On a different note...its sunny and warm here!!! This week we will be hot... 100* for the last time this year...I hope!!!! ;) It's been a bruital summer, we have paid our dues and ready for a nice fall and warm winter!

Frank so sorry to read about your problems. Hope you are doing better now. I agree that the Resolutions Dept should address your concerns. Please keep us abreast of that situation.

Will be waiting to hear the stories of the NZ health officials and their encounter with the passengers.

I was just thinking that it reminded me of our adventure with the Peruvian officials.

Give my regards to Norm and here's hoping for a quick recovery for you.

Had to share this with you all- The Rugby world cup is on in New Zealand as you may know and Wales are in the semi final next Saturday and on the local news channel here in Wales just now they spoke live to their reporter in Auckland where it was 7am and look what he was standing in front of-

P1010597.jpg

Edited by westisbest

Laura--

Thanks for the great post! It's good to know that they at least let Radiance dock! Hopefully all went well with the health authorities. I'll be waiting for a report from my "correspondents" on board!

Frank in sunny and warm SBA:cool: