Review of our September 10, 2011 cruise on the POA

brunolvr

I read in an earlier post that you attended the Smith Family Luau, while our visit will be during the day on our cruise in February 2012.

I am hoping/wondering if you are going to post on photos of this evert?

While we have got lots of information about the event but can't seem to find and real photos taken by cruisers like yourself.

I would love to see them, even more than the food shots you insist I view just before I get my Kraft Dinner!

I am really enjoying your review.

Yes, wilfros, we did attend the Smith Family Luau and took quite a few pictures -- from the tram ride around the grounds, to the unearthing of the ceremonial pig and some of the meal. But it was so dark our pictures of the show didn't come out very good. I'll probably be posting them in a few days.:)

Yes, wilfros, we did attend the Smith Family Luau and took quite a few pictures -- from the tram ride around the grounds, to the unearthing of the ceremonial pig and some of the meal. But it was so dark our pictures of the show didn't come out very good. I'll probably be posting them in a few days.:)

I anxiously await, Thanks

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2011

I awoke shortly before 6:00 AM with the lights of Kailua-Kona in the distance.

273_7377.JPG

Shortly after 6:00 AM, the sky lightened up and we appeared to be in position to drop anchor.

273_7380.JPG

By 6:15 AM the first tender boat was down and headed ashore although I’m not sure when they actually started letting passengers off the ship. By 7:00 AM there were at least 4 tenders working to unload passengers and ferry them ashore.

273_7387.JPG

Our tour today was with Marylou’s Big Island Tours. Marylou and her husband, Ken, both do excursions out of Hilo and also out of Kona. Since we were to meet at 9:00 AM, about 8:30 AM we went down to Deck 4 and were immediately loaded on a tender for our trip ashore. We didn’t need our VIP tender tickets as there was no line. It took longer to load and unload the tender than it did for the quick trip.

273_7396.JPG

Views of the Pride of America from our tender

273_7400.JPG

When we got to shore, we looked around and saw Ken across the street holding a sign with our names on it. One other couple joined us for our tour as they had a problem with the car they had reserved – the car rental place didn’t have a car for them.

Our first stop was the Farmer’s Market where Ken picked up some white pineapple, apple bananas and other fresh fruit for us to try. We really enjoyed the white pineapple – so delicate and sweet! We drove by the Magic Sands Beach but decided not to get out.

267_4712.JPG

On our way to Kona Joe’s Coffee Plantation, we passed this house with a beautiful gate and we stopped to get a picture of it.

274_7411.JPG

We had another scenic stop before we reached Kona Joe’s.

274_7413.JPG

The Pride of America in the distance

We spent ½ hour or so at Kona Joe’s – looking through the gift shop, sampling coffees and candies, and looking around the gardens.

274_7416.JPG

Kona Joe’s

274_7423.JPG

Some of the flowers around Kona Joe’s

267_4724.JPG

The view from Kona Joe’s

267_4728.JPG

Coffee Beans

Hi Thanks for the GREAT Review and PHOTOS....

Were going to Hawaii on Nov 9th on the Golden Princess and reading your Reviews is making our upcoming cruise seem so much better.:D

Can you tell me the cost of the Smith Family Luau?

Were finding that booking some Excursions Direct instead of through Princess saves alot of money....:)

Were Looking Forward to the Rest of your Review and Photos...

Thanks Again, Rene & Teri

Smith Family Luau is $78.00 on line ($10 discount) I was told transportation thru them is $12. You can book this with Roberts and it costs $90 and that includes transportation. www.smithskauai.com or www.robertshawaii.com I e-mailed Roberts and was told the cost is $90.00 (website said $88.00) Roberts told me that transportation is included.

268_6863.JPG

A fruit plate was on the dining room table.

268_6864.JPG

And a bottle of champagne and sparkling water were on ice.

273_7351.JPG

The mirrored and lighted entryway.

268_6832.JPG

The coffee and bar area. The frig is in the cabinet right below the coffeemaker.

273_7352.JPG

The living room area.

273_7353.JPG

Looking from the living room area back towards the front door. The little half-bath is on the left just inside the front door.

Beautiful Beautiful...We went to Alaska last year for our 37th anniversery..and hope to do the Hawaii for our 40th..or 41st and include my retirement (hopefully)

We leave in eight weeks. I can't wait to read your review.

I see you are from Parlin NJ..we are originally from Laurence Harbor...27yrs ago.

Can I ask you what flight you are taking? I'm assuming out of Newark...Seems to be the cheapest way to go ..then to go to Hawaii from up here in upstate.

Oh my! I can see that this is probably very different from what will be our little oceanview room on deck 4. Oh well, any room on a cruise is a good one! :p We'll be there soon!

I'll be lucky and HAPPY with an inside room..just so I can go...but ahhhhh to dream huh?

272_7222.JPG

Some delicious appetizers

278_7806.JPG

and some great chocolates!

273_7369.JPG

love those chocolate-covered strawberries!

279_7922.JPG

All kinds of little appetizers!

279_7921.JPG

This was a great plate the butler brought while we were viewing the Na Pali coastline.

I'm looking at all those goodies eating my red pepper strips :)

We are considering MaryLou's tours for both Kona and Hilo...your review is much appreciated. Any pros or cons?

Hi, Debbie! We enjoyed our tour with Ken (MaryLou's husband) and would book with them again if we ever return to Hawaii. They do have certain places they show you, but if you have any special requests, they do their best to include them. Of course it depends who else is on your tour.

Our only complaint was that we didn't have a lunch stop and even though Ken wanted to take us to a few more places, the other couple wanted to go back to the docking area to do some shopping. It was 2:30 PM, and since we were starving, we decided to go back to the ship for a late lunch.

I'm sure if we had asked about stopping for a bite to eat that Ken would have gladly done that, but neither my husband nor myself took the initiative to ask.:o

Hi Thanks for the GREAT Review and PHOTOS....

Were going to Hawaii on Nov 9th on the Golden Princess and reading your Reviews is making our upcoming cruise seem so much better.:D

Can you tell me the cost of the Smith Family Luau?

Were finding that booking some Excursions Direct instead of through Princess saves alot of money....:)

Were Looking Forward to the Rest of your Review and Photos...

Thanks Again, Rene & Teri

It looks like Debbie answered your questions about the Smith Family Luau!

"Smith Family Luau is $78.00 on line ($10 discount) I was told transportation thru them is $12. You can book this with Roberts and it costs $90 and that includes transportation. http://www.smithskauai.com or http://www.robertshawaii.com I e-mailed Roberts and was told the cost is $90.00 (website said $88.00) Roberts told me that transportation is included."

Then it was on to Kealakekua Bay which is about 12 miles south of Kailua-Kona. It’s suppose to be a good place for snorkeling, scuba diving & kayaking. Across the bay looking torwards Captain Cook’s Monument, we could see some spinner dolphins putting on a show as some kayakers tried to get close to them. There is a picnic area and bathrooms here.

274_7433.JPG

Looking across the bay at Captain Cook’s Monument

274_7437.JPG

Rocky beach area

267_4733.JPG

View from park

274_7439.JPG

Monument on beach

267_4729.JPG

Plaque on Monument

274_7440.JPG

Can you see all the crabs on the rocks?

Then it was off to The City of Refuge National Park (Pu’uhonua o Honaunau). This was quite an amazing place and take some time to read about it before starting the tour. There are drinking fountains and bathrooms. We spent about an hour there and would have liked to spend more time there but we were getting very hot and uncomfortable.

274_7446.JPG

One of the murals on the wall

274_7448.JPG

Start of the ½ mile self-guided walking tour

267_4737.JPG

Half-size model of the Hale o Keawe temple

267_4743.JPG

Sea Turtle

274_7457.JPG

A “walking tree”

274_7464.JPG

Numerous wooden images stand watch throughout the park

274_7466.JPG

Hale o Keawe (wooden images) stand watch over this rebuilt temple & mausoleum that once held the bones of 23 noble chiefs.

274_7475.JPG

Closer view of the temple and wooden images

274_7470.JPG

Sign about the Honu

274_7472.JPG

Sea turtle working its way toward the water

274_7474.JPG

The Great Wall – up to 10’ high and 17’ thick. Workers stacked stones so tightly that the walls needed no mortar.

274_7490.JPG

Park Ranger playing “nose” flute

268_6831.JPG

1/2 bathroom off of entry-way with tiny sink

267_4506.JPG

Main bathroom with whirlpool tub and double sinks.

267_4507.JPG

Shower door on the left and toilet room door on the right

268_6853.JPG

Television in bathroom with complimentary slippers on hamper. Small door leads to entryway.

268_6893.JPG

Elemis shampoo, conditioner, lotion, shower gel, lip revive, instant refreshing gel, and eyes-awake recovery gel. Replaced as we used them. Oh and also a bar of Zest cleansing soap and shower cap (I had already removed them).

Wow I am jealous of this room!!!! Glad I didn't see this before I stayed in my tiny interior room :)

Brunolvr,

Your review is outstanding. We are booked on POA for Aug 25, 2012, our first trip to Hawaii. I'm just starting to look for tours. Are there beaches within walking distance to any of the ports? I was wondering if we could do some half day tours then the beach for a few hours. Any information is greatly appreciated :)

I see you are from Parlin NJ..we are originally from Laurence Harbor...27yrs ago.

Can I ask you what flight you are taking? I'm assuming out of Newark...Seems to be the cheapest way to go ..then to go to Hawaii from up here in upstate.

Practically next door.

We are flying United from Newark to San Francisco. We have a 35 minute layover and then we fly to Honolulu. We leave Newark at 6:30 am and arrive in Honolulu at 2 pm.

Our flight was really cheap as I used all our frequent flyer miles and credit card points and I got two first class round trip tickets for $150 which was the taxes and fees. Those tickets right now are selling for over $8,000.

Brunolvr,

Your review is outstanding. We are booked on POA for Aug 25, 2012, our first trip to Hawaii. I'm just starting to look for tours. Are there beaches within walking distance to any of the ports? I was wondering if we could do some half day tours then the beach for a few hours. Any information is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks, anboricua. As far as beaches within walking distance, you might want to post a separate question on the Hawaii boards.

Maui - I'd say no -- it's mostly industrial where we dock

Hilo - I'd also say no -- also industrial

Kona - maybe yes, but since we don't dock there, you have to take the tender ashore

Nawiliwili, Kauai - yes, take the shuttle to Anchor Cove shopping center and a beautiful beach is just footsteps away.

275_7597.JPG

267_4789.JPG

267_4786.JPG

This are pictures of the beach at the Kauai Marriott Resort -- open to the public.

275_7597.JPG

267_4789.JPG

267_4786.JPG

This are pictures of the beach at the Kauai Marriott Resort -- open to the public.

First of all...thank you for the review. We leave in 6 weeks and can't wait. Seeing your photos of the Marriott Beach, are the chairs and umbrellas rentable? Was this a decent snorkel beach?

275_7597.JPG

267_4789.JPG

267_4786.JPG

First of all...thank you for the review. We leave in 6 weeks and can't wait. Seeing your photos of the Marriott Beach, are the chairs and umbrellas rentable? Was this a decent snorkel beach?

Sorry, but I can't answer your questions.:o We only walked over to the Marriott to see their gardens and koi pond and take pictures.

There's some info here about Kalapaki Beach at the Marriott:

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/kauai/html/beaches/kalapaki_beach.html

As we were on our way to St. Benedict’s (The Painted Church), we passed this tree with a very strange trunk.

274_7491.JPG

274_7493.JPG

St. Benedict’s Catholic Church

The present church was erected in 1899 by Father John Velghe. Without any professional training and using house paint on ordinary wood he beautified the church with his paintings. In those days few Hawaiians could read and so he taught with pictures.

267_4749.JPG

Statue outside the church

274_7494.JPG

Ceiling of the church

274_7495.JPG

St. Benedict’s Church

274_7496.JPG

Walls of the church

267_4750.JPG

Walls of St. Benedict's Church

267_4751.JPG

Walls of the church

274_7499.JPG

View from the church doors

267_4757.JPG

Church parking lot

After leaving St. Benedict’s Painted Church, we headed to the Royal Kona Museum & Coffee Mill. We spent a few minutes sampling coffees, teas and different candies. They also have a lava tube you can walk through.

275_7505.JPG

275_7506.JPG

The lower grounds of Royal Kona’s

Then we went in search of “The Original Hawaiian Chocolate Factory”. The other couple we were with wanted to go there as they had heard about it from someone else. Ken had never been there but he had heard of it so we spent a little while driving around until we finally found it. It’s just a small factory in a nice residential area but the lady in the office said they were closed but then she offered to let us look around and gave us a quick tour and a few free samples. It was great!

275_7508.JPG

Original Hawaiian Chocolate Factory

275_7510.JPG

Outside of chocolate factory

Cocoa%252520Pods%252520on%252520Tree.jpg

Cocoa pods on tree

Harvested%252520Cocoa%252520Pods.jpg

Harvested cocoa pods

275_7511.JPG

Drying rack

Tempering%252520machine.jpg

Tempering machine

Ken had a couple of other places he wanted to show us but the other couple wanted to do some shopping before they got back on the ship and since it was after 2:30 PM and we hadn’t had lunch yet, we decided we were ready to go back onboard the Pride of America. We had a great time with Ken and would recommend MaryLou’s Big Island Tours. Both Ken and his wife MaryLou do tours out of Hilo and Kona. My only recommendation would be to bring some sandwiches off the ship or ask them to make a quick lunch stop somewhere. They do furnish chilled bottled water which was a life-saver!

Archived