Which Mayan Ruins site to visit while in Cozumel

sweetlowcountry

We are going to Cozumel the first week of October on the X Milli. Ship will dock at 11:30 am and stay until 8:30 pm. Going with another couple that has never been there before and they really want to see some Mayan Ruins and then possibly go to a beach. I need help figuring out which ruins to visit, how to get there, how long it will take, etc. We typically don't do excursions through the ship so let me know if there is a good company I need to check out. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Tulum is where you will find the best ruins, but my understanding is that it's an all-day excursion and you won't have time for the beach. There is a lot of travel time involved. From what I've read on these boards, Tulum is one of the few excursions which is better to do through the ship. You will pay a lot more for it this way, but at least the ship will wait for you are late (and apparently there's a lot of things that can delay you if you do this trip).

My family will be in Cozumel the first week of October and we are doing San Gervasio instead of Tulum. It's much smaller, but it's right there on the island and we can also fit in some beach time. We're going to do this day on our own, rather than an organized excursion.

I took my family to San Gervasio. Yes, it probably pales in comparison to the main land but it was the best Mayan Ruins we've ever seen.

I did a lot of research on getting to it. Thought we go by taxi;by the number of taxis in the parking lot when we got there, it's a good way to get there. But I went a little crazy and convinced DW to let me rent a jeep. DS & DD were just a little less excited then me. But I did get the insurance which according to some stories posted on CC was well worth.

We did the ruins then toured the island and had lunch. Ruins are East and inland of the port and beaches are South.

One more thing, the rental agent said the jeep had to be back by 6 PM because things wind down with the sun. I would think the beaches catering to the tourist allow for later departure. So you don't get full use of the 8:30 departure unless you hang out in or near the terminal, which many do take advantage of.

There is a small set of ruins on the west side called El Cedral. It's inland from Paradise Beach, Mr Sanchos, Playa Mia. They have a small "mock" Mayan Village there too. Nothing spectacular, but excursions do stop there. It's a bit of a haul to go to San Gervasio then the west beaches. and I think taxi service could add up toward $90/$100 to get both in. $50-$60 to San Gervasio and back plus another $20-$40 to go to one of the beach resorts. But maybe a driver could quote you a waiting service price to the ruins then the beach.

sweetlowcountry, no doubt the ruins at Tulum are spectacular, but be aware that this is a VERY long trip. About 45 minutes or so by ferry to Playa Del Carmen, then an hour's bus ride to Tulum--which you will do on the return trip. These tours usually run about 6+ hours (and that is why it is *highly recommended* that you do this as a ship tour--in case there any delays, the ship will wait for you). From what I understand, beach time may be limited, but people rave about the experience in Tulum on these boards.

The ruins at San Gervasio are minor, but interesting. At least interesting to my family. The lack of extended travel time would allow you to see more of the island and have some solid beach time too.

Have fun, whatever you decide!

I vote for Tulum.......

I've been to many of the ruins, and Tulum is one of the best...The only Mayan ruins that are right on the ocean.....I believe it was a total of 5 hours. Well worth the time....and yes, book it thru the ship....you never know what can happen.....Enjoy...

Bob E:D

I think taxi service could add up toward $90/$100 to get both in. $50-$60 to San Gervasio and back plus another $20-$40 to go to one of the beach resorts. But maybe a driver could quote you a waiting service price to the ruins then the beach.

I priced taxi service and it's $45 RT to drive up to four passengers to San Gervasio, wait there, then drop us off at a beach. Then you have to pay the standard fare home from whatever beach you go to. We are a party of 5, so it will cost us even more if we do it this way.

There are some reputable rental car place who will rent us a car with every available insurance for $45 - $50 total. Yes, I'm aware of the risks of driving in Cozumel, but I'd really like the flexibility of being able to stop anywhere we want, rather than being stuck with taxis bringing us to just one or two places. Hiring a driver for 5 of us would run $200 for only 4-5 hours, so it isn't a good value for us.

If your ship offers Chichen Itza, that is probably the best ruins you'll have access to from Cozumel. However only do it if your ship has an excursion to it as it is a long trip from the port and is at risk of being left behind if you did not go through the cruiseline. You won't have time for the beach but everything I have read and researched it is well worth the time and far better than Tulum. I was going to do Tulum with RCI until I saw they just offered up a tour to Chichen Itza for the day.

Archived