OMG I need help narrowing down excursions!

jazzinj

I just browsed through all the excursions for our ports and it's like trying to pick something off the Cheesecake Factory's menu (which is soooo extensive) - I can't decide! I would appreciate some feedback/suggestions/ recommendations for the following ports, we're sailing the Pearl in March:

1. Great Stirrup Cay - I think I've got this one covered, I plan on just relaxing on the beach and just going with the flow, but if you have recommendations, please share!

2. Ochos Rios

3. Grand Cayman

4. Cozumel

Some additional details:

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids aged 13(DS) and 9(DD)). The boys are adverse to heights and extreme adventures (ie ziplining and rollercoasters), and I have a daredevil daughter (talk about a contradiction in personalities). We would like to do family excursions, DH has always wanted to see the Mayan ruins but keeping in mind that the kids will be in tow. Nice sandy beaches are good, animals are good. This will be our very first time in these ports. The kids are great swimmers, us not so much (at all).

I would love some help narrowing the list down! Thanks in advance!

J

Our next cruise includes Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios, which we have not been to yet. However, Cozumel, while offering many tours, also is one of the easiest ports to just brouse and shop. NCL ships dock right in town. The town is friendly with a good stretch of shopping ahead and to the left as you exit the pier. There are some streets a block or two back with vendors available also. Plenty of places to eat also. Don't stop at the mall that you must cross through as you exit the pier for you initial shopping. Better prices further along. However, with you family ages you might wish to take one of the advertised tours.

1. Great Stirrup Cay - I think I've got this one covered, I plan on just relaxing on the beach and just going with the flow, but if you have recommendations, please share!

2. Ochos Rios

3. Grand Cayman

4. Cozumel

in Ocho Rios--Dunn's River Falls is the highlight here and where alot of people go.

in Grand Cayman--its the Stingrays that are popular

in Cozumel the place to see ruins is TULUM...i know that NCL offered this tour as we did last Dec...its AWESOME even with the high-speed jet boat type ferry ride---check out the Ports of Call board-Cozumel for the reviews on Tulum

We did one of the swimming with the rays excursions in Grand Caymen - it was fun and something that is always highly recommended. Next year I think we will probably go to Hell and the turtle farm.

In Cozumel we went to Mr. Sancho's - an all inclusive (or not) beach bar resort. It was okay but I think this trip we will either go to Paradise Beach (which is pay as you go - no entrance fee) or since reading Roger's response and now knowing that NCL docks right in town, we may just wander around town.

There are lots of reviews/recommendations over on the port boards to help you decide which tour operator to go with - if you plan on purchasing them on your own and not through the cruise line which is much cheaper - some recent and ongoing ones regarding tour operators for the rays in Grand Cayman.

I just browsed through all the excursions for our ports and it's like trying to pick something off the Cheesecake Factory's menu (which is soooo extensive) - I can't decide! I would appreciate some feedback/suggestions/ recommendations for the following ports, we're sailing the Pearl in March:

2. Ochos Rios

3. Grand Cayman

4. Cozumel

Some additional details:

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids aged 13(DS) and 9(DD)). The boys are adverse to heights and extreme adventures (ie ziplining and rollercoasters), and I have a daredevil daughter (talk about a contradiction in personalities). We would like to do family excursions, DH has always wanted to see the Mayan ruins but keeping in mind that the kids will be in tow. Nice sandy beaches are good, animals are good. This will be our very first time in these ports. The kids are great swimmers, us not so much (at all).

I would love some help narrowing the list down! Thanks in advance!

J

In Ocho Rios do Dunns River Falls...in Grand Cayman the stingrays for sure. In Cozumel..Nachi Cocom :D...enjoy!

I definitely agree with the stingrays and Dunns river falls suggestions. I took the best excursion on 5 cruises on the Epic in April. it was a 4x4, cave snorkeling and beach day. We went to the mainland and took jeep off road and road to some underground caves where we were able to snorkel. It was claustrophobic at times but very cool. Then we road some more off road to the beach where we had the rest of the day. It was an awesome day and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Check out my review in my signature for a full review.

Dunn's River Falls in Ochos Rios for sure. You might want to Google "Chankanaab National Park" in Cozumel. I'm considering this in Cozumel on my next cruise.

Another CC poster went there and posted in her review about it. Looks awesome with a variety of things you can do. Here is the link to her review, so you can read it if you like: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1485446. The review is long, but you can go to The Cozumel part and check it out. Great review and pics...

I'm also considering Nachi Cocom.

Decisions, Decisions....... Happy Cruising..... :)

I second Nachi Cocum - we went with two families and kids that ranged in age from 6 - 12. They all had a great time and no one wanted to leave! It was not a ship's tour. I booked it independently, as I do most of my excursions. It was a great price and a great time!

We also did the sting ray thing in Grand Cayman, and that was memorable for everyone. Again, I would go to the ports of call boards here and check trip advisor for recommendations, then book it independently. In most cases, you will be on a smaller boat and thus have more interaction with the sting rays.

Have fun!

Thanks again - looks like Dunns River Falls and stingrays for sure, I'll have to look up Nachi Cocom, I didn't see that on the NCL excursions list...

I don't think that's on any cruise line's excursion list. We booked it on our own on their website. Just took a cab there. All inclusive for $49/adult. Stunning property.

http://www.cozumelnachicocom.net/

I definitely agree with the stingrays and Dunns river falls suggestions. I took the best excursion on 5 cruises on the Epic in April. it was a 4x4, cave snorkeling and beach day. We went to the mainland and took jeep off road and road to some underground caves where we were able to snorkel. It was claustrophobic at times but very cool. Then we road some more off road to the beach where we had the rest of the day. It was an awesome day and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Check out my review in my signature for a full review.

Thanks Nathan - I read your review last night, I'm going to get my son to read it :) I hope he will be able to recount his vacations like you did when he's your age. You might need to convince him to do the ziplining, though. DH actually said YES to ziplining (even though he's not fond of heights) so now it'll be down to DS to say yes...

We did a few of those ports but we were on DCL at the time. In GC, skip the butterfly farm. The turtle farm is great though and if you can combine with a beach activity you'll be set. At the turtle farm the kids get to hold turtles. And of course, you can always go to Hell although it is pretty small.

Dunns River Falls is great for your age group of kids. In Cozumel, the ruins are ok but they are a bit of a hike and when we were there in Feb. it was pretty hot as you are in the open quite a bit. We did have a chance to go swimming there which was nice.

Dunn's River Falls in Ochos Rios for sure. You might want to Google "Chankanaab National Park" in Cozumel. I'm considering this in Cozumel on my next cruise.

Another CC poster went there and posted in her review about it. Looks awesome with a variety of things you can do. Here is the link to her review, so you can read it if you like: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1485446. The review is long, but you can go to The Cozumel part and check it out. Great review and pics...

I'm also considering Nachi Cocom.

Decisions, Decisions....... Happy Cruising..... :)

I know - too many things to do and too little time! I've been reading the Cozumel Port threads and I think I've narrowed it down to hiring a driver and going to the closer Mayan ruins, a nice beach, and maybe the Park, plus an Iguana encounter (the kids would like that).

I also read the Ochos Rios ones, and boy I just want to do EVERYTHING! I'm definitely putting the Falls in there, for sure, but I also like the tubing, and all the activities on Mystic Mountain. Blue Hole also sounds nice....

Grand Cayman - I'm going to look into the stingrays, I haven't read up on GC much yet.

I second Nachi Cocum - we went with two families and kids that ranged in age from 6 - 12. They all had a great time and no one wanted to leave! It was not a ship's tour. I booked it independently, as I do most of my excursions. It was a great price and a great time!

We also did the sting ray thing in Grand Cayman, and that was memorable for everyone. Again, I would go to the ports of call boards here and check trip advisor for recommendations, then book it independently. In most cases, you will be on a smaller boat and thus have more interaction with the sting rays.

Have fun!

I've been reading up on Nachi - and it sounds like an awesome place, if only we had more time - since it's our first time to Cozumel, I'm trying to squeeze in the sights and ruins. You know what this means - we'll have to book more cruises so we can go back!! :)

We did a few of those ports but we were on DCL at the time. In GC, skip the butterfly farm. The turtle farm is great though and if you can combine with a beach activity you'll be set. At the turtle farm the kids get to hold turtles. And of course, you can always go to Hell although it is pretty small.

Dunns River Falls is great for your age group of kids. In Cozumel, the ruins are ok but they are a bit of a hike and when we were there in Feb. it was pretty hot as you are in the open quite a bit. We did have a chance to go swimming there which was nice.

Thanks for the info about GC and the turtle farm, I was looking at that one - the kids love animal interactions. I'll have to look up Hell.

DRF is going to be our first stop. The ruins is more for DH, he's always wanted to go there, so we need to cross that off his bucket list, but we'll go to the closer ruins and not take the long trek to the big ones.

Don't spend too much time on Hell. It is basically one very small tshirt stop/store, a post office (IIRC) and you walk out and see some solid lava looking formation. The good thing is GC is pretty small so you can get around pretty quickly if you decide to do multiple excursions.

We did the Stingray City first then the Turtle Farm and then Hell and still had time to shop. We booked all together. However Seven Mile Beach looked pretty good!! But if you only do one thing in Grand Cayman do the Stingrays!!! I highly recommend it!!! If you can book all together book the Stingray tour first. this takes up the most time. Make sure you hold and kiss one!! Its something you will never forget!!! Also if you dont already have a underwater camera. Just get one of the disposable ones. I used a Fuji. It was like 12.00 worked great!!

We did the Stingray City first then the Turtle Farm and then Hell and still had time to shop. We booked all together. However Seven Mile Beach looked pretty good!! But if you only do one thing in Grand Cayman do the Stingrays!!! I highly recommend it!!! If you can book all together book the Stingray tour first. this takes up the most time. Make sure you hold and kiss one!! Its something you will never forget!!! Also if you dont already have a underwater camera. Just get one of the disposable ones. I used a Fuji. It was like 12.00 worked great!!

Silverman - this is the itinerary that I was leaning towards for GC! Where did you book it?

Below is a lind to Marks tours. We used Mark in Jamaica and he was wonderful. I can't even begin to tell you how great he was. I had a question for him and I e-mailed him and he actually called me that evening on the phone to reassure me. We were a group of 8, he picked us up at the pier, took us to Dunns River Falls, then a mini city tour, then we went on a tubing expedtion and then he took us to an area for shopping and a snack. This was definitely one of my favorite excursions and a lot of it was due to Mark.

http://markstours.com/tours.html

Another thing I would suggest to you is to go to the port sections of the boards, that is where I found Marks Tours. We did a private snorkel and sting ray swim also that was great too and we found that on the port section for Caymen Islands.

In Cozumel we went to a resort, also booked privately and spent the day there.

Sorry but I can't remember the names of the private excursions that we did in the Caymen Islands and Cozumel but I'm sure you will find one on the boards. I like to book outside of the cruseline because there are a smaller groups and the price is usually substantially less.

Have Fun!!

Archived