What would be the effect of Cunard leaving the UK Registry?

Salacia

The Queen never says what she thinks in public, although she did complain once about Mr Berlusconi shouting.

David.

Thank heavens Someone had the good sense to complain about his shouting!

Does the UK Minister for the Overseas Terrorities speak for the UK goverment? I'm assuming that this the case... so, this might be of interst:

A transcript of

Speech given by Henry Bellingham, UK Minister for the Overseas Territories, on Sept. 26, 2011 at Bermuda College, Bermuda

can be found here http://sartma.com/art_9134.html

Bobby, best wishes for your upcoming birthday. Whether you celebrate it on land or at sea, may you be surrounded by those you love.

In regard to future cruises, all good things must come to an end. Like you, I look for more rewarding ventures on land. I added up the costs spent on our 9 QM2 voyages since 2007...and it amounted to a substantial down payment on a beach house! There are options. I hope we all find what makes us happy and healthy.

Best wishes for a happy birthday.

Regards,

Salacia

Thank you for the good wishes, and the best to you as well on the occasion of your wedding anniversary!

How interesting that you mention a beach house as an alternative... That is exactly what I have been actively working on all summer with a realtor.

...and the reason why I have recently cancelled the QM2 Grand Canaries Trans/Cruise this month, Celebrity Silhouette next month, and the QM2 Christmas Cruise. All that remains is the January EB and WB crossings of QM2 and QE.

Keep well and say hi to Robinson! :D

Bobby

All that remains is the January EB and WB crossings of QM2 and QE.

:D

Hello Bobby,

Chuck an I will be on both of those crossings too. Will Tayleur be traveling with you? Hopefully, we wil be able to have a drink or two together.

I know that the trips that I make on Cunard may be coming to an end. The American registered, paddlewheel steamboat AMERICAN QUEEN is calling to me once again.

Frank

Hello Bobby,

Chuck an I will be on both of those crossings too. Will Tayleur be traveling with you? Hopefully, we wil be able to have a drink or two together.

I know that the trips that I make on Cunard may be coming to an end. The American registered, paddlewheel steamboat AMERICAN QUEEN is calling to me once again.

Frank

Hi Chuck,

Long time, no sail together! It will be great to reconnect with you both and have some good ship talks over drinks.

Tayleur will not be traveling on QM2 but may fly over and sail back on QE.

It's just amazing how many loyal Cunard passengers of all different CWC statuses are expressing the same sentiment, that their days with Cunard are coming to an end.

This should give whoever monitors these boards on behalf of Cunard pause to think quite seriously about the sea change that seems in the offing.

See you soon!

Bobby

It's just amazing how many loyal Cunard passengers of all different CWC statuses are expressing the same sentiment, that their days with Cunard are coming to an end.

This should give whoever monitors these boards on behalf of Cunard pause to think quite seriously about the sea change that seems in the offing.

See you soon!

Bobby

Bobby,

Do you really think Cunard would take any notice anyway, They at times seem to bury their head in the sand,and in doing so expose their brains.

Enough self-flagellation UK. Enough denial. Avoiding issues won't solve a thing (and a drink won't either), and certainly complaining without doing anything won't.

Are they just going to throw Cunard away? :confused:

Why not! successive British Governments have thrown most other British Institutions overboard.

Why not! successive British Governments have thrown most other British Institutions overboard.

Well, at least they're protesting on Wall Street and around the US; good old grass roots protests are healthy for society; better than remaining mute and suffering. I'm no ex-hippy (too young for that anyway), but give me a "60's Revolution" atmosphere of protest rather that "shut up and put up" any day.

Cunarders could always picket Princess/Carnival... ;) :D

Why doesn't the British Government just allow the ships that sail with an British registry to allow the captains of these ships to perform weddings aboard ship? Problem solved. Regards,Jerry

Hi Jerry. From what I've read from various postings with references quoted previously, the law in the UK requires that weddings be held in a place that is accessible to the public, and a cruise ship is de facto not accessible to the public. There is a logic to that law, and perhaps it won't be changed simply because cruise ships request it for economic benefit. [Cousins, please correct me if i am mistaken]

Nevertheless, do you really believe Cunard is considering re-flagging their ships because Cunard is not able to 'cash in' on the wedding scheme?

Regards.

Salacia

Nevertheless, do you really believe Cunard is considering re-flagging their ships because Cunard is not able to 'cash in' on the wedding scheme?

It sounds as though the idea was hatched awhile back and the ground is being carefully laid to see if this re-registration can be convincingly pulled off. Shame really...seems like every brand Carnival has becomes more watered down with time, Cunard will become no exception.

When Cunard bought NAC twenty--odd years ago, the first thing they

did was reflag the ships from Norwegian to Bahamas registry. Civilization did not in fact come to an end; the Sagafjord and Vistafjord are still

the best ships I ever sailed on...

When Cunard bought NAC twenty--odd years ago, the first thing they

did was reflag the ships from Norwegian to Bahamas registry. Civilization did not in fact come to an end; the Sagafjord and Vistafjord are still

the best ships I ever sailed on...

Hi leonardofan. After doing some research, I can understand why you found those ships the best never. Not sure I agree with you regarding re-flagging, all things considered. Just as an aside:

Cunard purchased The Sagafjord and Vistafjord in 1983. http://www.thecaptainslog.org.uk/ShipGalleryIndex/Sagafjord.html

For more current history on Sagafjord (re-named Saga Rose) see http://cruiselinehistory.com/?p=839 What caught my attention was this:

Plans for her to be turned into a floating hotel are still in discussion.

Will she join the Queen Mary and QE2 as a landlocked resort?

Does Cunard/CCL currently own Saga?

Thanks again for an interesting reference to cruise liner history.

Salacia

Hi leonardofan. After doing some research, I can understand why you found those ships the best never. Not sure I agree with you regarding re-flagging, all things considered. Just as an aside:

Cunard purchased The Sagafjord and Vistafjord in 1983. http://www.thecaptainslog.org.uk/ShipGalleryIndex/Sagafjord.html

For more current history on Sagafjord (re-named Saga Rose) see http://cruiselinehistory.com/?p=839 What caught my attention was this:

Plans for her to be turned into a floating hotel are still in discussion.

Will she join the Queen Mary and QE2 as a landlocked resort?

Does Cunard/CCL currently own Saga?

Thanks again for an interesting reference to cruise liner history.

Salacia

No. Saga cruises are part of the larger Saga company which is a very diversified company, not just travel.

Hi Jerry. From what I've read from various postings with references quoted previously, the law in the UK requires that weddings be held in a place that is accessible to the public, and a cruise ship is de facto not accessible to the public. There is a logic to that law, and perhaps it won't be changed simply because cruise ships request it for economic benefit. [Cousins, please correct me if i am mistaken]

Regards.

Salacia

Salacia, Thank You for the explanation It is just my prediction but I predict that Cunard will keep their ships with a British registry and by doing that it will be the best thing to do. Regards,Jerry

Salacia, Thank You for the explanation It is just my prediction but I predict that Cunard will keep their ships with a British registry and by doing that it will be the best thing to do. Regards,Jerry

Hi Jerry. I like your prediction :) Regards, Salacia

Salacia,

Re your original question, if the ship is flagged in Bermuda, for example, then the law of that country would be relied upon for various contracts involving the ship, its passengers and crew. There are a series of cases in US courts at the moment regarding assault claims made by crew of Princess ships trying to get US jurisdiction over their claims. Princess is relying upon the crew contracts which state the relevant law is that of Bermuda. The crew want the claims heard in the US and not Bermuda.

Answer to Salacia's question:

Unfortunately, SAGA ROSE was sold to Chinese shipbreakers last year after a number of floating hotel proposals failed to materialize.

Although she was still very popular, Saga was forced to withdraw her from service as she was no longer SOLAS compliant due to her extensive wood panelled interior walls.:(

Unfortunately, SAGA ROSE was sold to Chinese shipbreakers last year after a number of floating hotel proposals failed to materialize.

Although she was still very popular, Saga was forced to withdraw her from service as she was no longer SOLAS compliant due to her extensive wood panelled interior walls.:(

Sad saga for the SAGA ROSE.

Sound familiar?

Archived