What would be the effect of Cunard leaving the UK Registry?

Salacia

Another side effect of re-registering to Bermuda would be that Cunard's vessels could no longer be STUFT - Ship Taken Up From Trade - requisitioned by HMG - so no dash down to the Falkland Islands for the QM2 if Argentina re-invades as QE2 did, or trooping like QM/QE in WWII - how patriotic is that?

I presume, given Cunards considerable gay following they will also be conducting same-sex marriages? And if not, why not?

But they could be contracted by the MOD to take troops down to the Falklands.

Partial quote

I presume, given Cunards considerable gay following they will also be conducting same-sex marriages? And if not, why not?

If, for example, Cunard registers its ships in Bermuda, the the laws of Bermuda apply on board. Bermuda does not permit same-sex marriages.[source:http://www.bermuda-online.org/marriages.htm ] Ergo, same sex marriages are not legal on ships with a Bermuda registry.

My understanding is that a cruise ship may sail to ports where same sex marriages are permitted and the ceremony can be performed on shore.The marriage and divorce laws of that Country will apply to those being married in that port. It only sounds complicated because it is.

Cunard had heavily promoted their recent Around the British Isles voyage. For the Liverpool port, a full glossy "Queens on the Mersey" booklet was distributed in advance of the QE and QM2 calling within one week of each other. It was full of British shipping history in general and Cunard's role in that in particular.

On the QM2 arrival in Liverpool we were greeted as if we were a boatload of returning war heros. The former Cunard building, which has not been owned by Cunard in decades, was nonetheless flying the Cunard house flag. On leaving Liverpool a fireworks display sent us off, as images of Liverpool's landmarks were projected onto the facade of the old Cunard building.

Along the eastern coast of Britian the sightseeing boats were out in force. Overall, it seemed that the British people were proud of this ship and happy to call her their own.

All that good will may be flushed. Sad. And if it happens I've sailed on the QM2 for the last time.

Perhaps modern day Cunard will take a page from its fabled past. They might keep the QM2 registered in England and reflag the two Vista Class ships. When Cunard was owned by Trafalgar House both the CUNARD COUNTESS and CUNARD PRINCESS were re-registered in the Bahamas after having flown the red duster for the start of their lives. Both of the ships of Cunard/NAL were registered there too. Cunard's SEA GODDESSes were Norwegian, so there is a history of Cunard ships flying foreign flags.

That's a nice view of life I wonder if you have ever been to a wedding at sea :rolleyes:

Both of my daughters had their weddings at sea, it is well organized by the wedding co-coordinator, the ceremony is carried out by the Captain, the photographs have great backdrops, the wedding reception in a specialty dinning room is better than any London Hotel and it's a great opportunity for both sides of the family to get to know each other on a two week cruise. :D

No, I have not been to a wedding at sea. But cruise ships are a dime a dozen, and weddings are a once in a lifetime event and should be special, IMHO. I would not choose a cruise ship, even as a devotee of ships as I am. But I am sure were I to participate in one I would enjoy it... and maybe behave and not be too cheeky. ;)

Is Bermuda still British? What do the British establishment in the UK say about all this?

action-smiley-015.gifaction-smiley-025.gif

Hello Leucothea. Bermuda is an overseas British Territory, which is not to say "Bermuda is British". See http://www.bermuda-online.org/bdagovt.htm

By the way, if you click on the underlined word "This" in Gurneseguys' post, you will find additional information. (He didn't just say two words, he provided a link.)

When I visited Bermuda last May, I found it to be a lovely island (about 21 miles in total size - almost ten times the size of Central Park!). Although it is only 600 miles off the coast of my country, it is a different world. The citizens of Bermuda pride themselves on their independence: neither British citizens nor any other foreign nationals have special standing, according to my research. Please correct me if my research is faulty.Thanks.

Best wishes,

Salacia

PS I think Leucothea is a swell screen name :)

partial quote

...weddings are a once in a lifetime event and should be special, IMHO ;)

Bobby, I share your opinion. But the popular reality is that weddings are not a once in a lifetime event...and so a whole new industry has grown for second and third weddings.

PS I've booked a crui$e on QM2 to celebrate a 30th wedding anniversay. I told Himself he has been married 2 years longer than Robinson Caruso was marooned :eek: Celebration Time :D

Cheers,

Salacia

Are those your two words?

I meant, what do the Queen, etc, and whomever has been associated with Cunard in the UK, have to say (publicly of course) about the changes to Cunard and the possible registration change?

action-smiley-019.gifaction-smiley-045.gif

The Queen never says what she thinks in public, although she did complain once about Mr Berlusconi shouting.

David.

Two points:

(1) By leaving UK registration, it will no longer be necessary for a specific percentage - not sure what it is - of officers to be British.

(2) Minimum SOLAS standards - as opposed to the higher levels required by the UK - would apply.

Forget weddings, these are serious issues that we should be concerned about.

(1) wrong

(2) wrong

There are many Britsh flagged ships with no British officers onboard. Maybe you're thinking of American flagged ships where 100% of the crew have to be American apart from NCLA where 75% have to be American.

SOLAS standards apply equally to all countries who have signed up to the SOLAS convention, Bermuda being one of them.

Bermuda actually rates higher than the UK on the white list.

If I remember correctly Bermuda has a representative in Parliament,so may I ask what could be more British than that?

Hi Real PM. I don't know the answer to your question, but this is quoted from http://www.bermuda-online.org/bdagovt.htm under the heading Executive Branch...

Bermuda is externally a self-governing overseas territory of the United Kingdom. It makes all its own laws. UK and European Community laws do not apply in Bermuda.

If I remember correctly Bermuda has a representative in Parliament,so may I ask what could be more British than that?

Hi Real PM. I don't know the answer to your question, but this is quoted from http://www.bermuda-online.org/bdagovt.htm under the heading Executive Branch...

Bermuda is externally a self-governing overseas territory of the United Kingdom. It makes all its own laws. UK and European Community laws do not apply in Bermuda.

Hi The Real PM. I don't know the answer to your question, but this is quoted from http://www.bermuda-online.org/bdagovt.htm under the heading Executive Branch:

and quoted from http://www.bermuda-online.org/colonial.htm

The Government of Bermuda is self governing (except for defense, external affairs and internal security) - independent of the United Kingdom in all internal matters and with its own set of laws....

Hi The Real PM. I don't know the answer to your question, but you might find this interesting:

quoted from http://www.bermuda-online.org/bdagovt.htm

quoted from http://www.bermuda-online.org/colonial.htm

The Government of Bermuda is self governing (except for defense, external affairs and internal security) - independent of the United Kingdom in all internal matters and with its own set of laws

No, I have not been to a wedding at sea. But cruise ships are a dime a dozen, and weddings are a once in a lifetime event and should be special, IMHO. I would not choose a cruise ship, even as a devotee of ships as I am. But I am sure were I to participate in one I would enjoy it... and maybe behave and not be too cheeky. ;)

I would love to buy a dozen for a dime :rolleyes:

I know how much the weddings cost and how very special :)

Just think at a dime a dozen I could have a fleet :D

partial quote

Bobby, I share your opinion. But the popular reality is that weddings are not a once in a lifetime event...and so a whole new industry has grown for second and third weddings.

PS I've booked a crui$e on QM2 to celebrate a 30th wedding anniversay. I told Himself he has been married 2 years longer than Robinson Caruso was marooned :eek: Celebration Time :D

Cheers,

Salacia

You are a very funny poster, Salacia! What is going on at Cunard is so cynical. Like you, I have 2 crossings (QM2/QE) booked in January which I am sure I am going to cancel. Cunard has put the kabosh on further cruises with them. I am pursuing more rewarding ventures on land.

I, too, have a big birthday coming up. Not on a Cunard ship.

You are a very funny poster, Salacia! What is going on at Cunard is so cynical. Like you, I have 2 crossings (QM2/QE) booked in January which I am sure I am going to cancel. Cunard has put the kabosh on further cruises with them. I am pursuing more rewarding ventures on land.

I, too, have a big birthday coming up. Not on a Cunard ship.

Bobby, best wishes for your upcoming birthday. Whether you celebrate it on land or at sea, may you be surrounded by those you love.

In regard to future cruises, all good things must come to an end. Like you, I look for more rewarding ventures on land. I added up the costs spent on our 9 QM2 voyages since 2007...and it amounted to a substantial down payment on a beach house! There are options. I hope we all find what makes us happy and healthy.

Best wishes for a happy birthday.

Regards,

Salacia

Archived