Why I will only book through TA and not direct with Carnival

valtandc

The only "catch" here would be maybe "off hours" or weekends that the TA isn't open. Just my first thought, and this is why.

I'm surprised......I can get ahold of my TA thru e-mail 24/7. You got to do what is best for you....and I feel good about keeping money in my community.

So, you spend all your time doing research, finding the best deal and knowing exactly what you want and then you call your TA and tell them everything you want?

Who's the travel agent here? I may not know that, but I do know who the dim-witted one is.

And what do you do? Call your PVP and say "duh can you please tell me where I want to go"? LOL! I would think most frequent travelers do research......

I'm surprised......I can get ahold of my TA thru e-mail 24/7. You got to do what is best for you....and I feel good about keeping money in my community.

I def agree with you on "keeping money in my community", that's why I dealt with her as long as I did. Something that got me though was the more I learned about the cruise industry, the more I realized that the TA was just "going through the motions". IMO, a great TA would be the one that would call me and tell me, "hey, we just spotted a price drop on your upcoming cruise!" I wonder now if it were possible, that the TA submitted price drop forms and got the money instead of me getting an OBC.

I def agree with you on "keeping money in my community", that's why I dealt with her as long as I did. Something that got me though was the more I learned about the cruise industry, the more I realized that the TA was just "going through the motions". IMO, a great TA would be the one that would call me and tell me, "hey, we just spotted a price drop on your upcoming cruise!" I wonder now if it were possible, that the TA submitted price drop forms and got the money instead of me getting an OBC.

Well yes you definitely have to trust your TA. If you received a price drop then it would reflect your final payment. She could not possibly get your discount or obc. LOL!

I think I am in the minority in that we don't use a PVP or a TA. We book all of our cruises ourselves through carnival's website and do our own leg work for early saver when it comes to a price drop, etc.

As Firefly said, to each their own....

everybody has an opinion..... i used a pvp for our first 7 sailings on carnival, a total of 21 rooms (most balcony). the pvp was good. had to request credits or price drop discounts never received obc or "treats" in the cabin. since then we have sallied 3 times using a ta, obc on every sailing, wine with dinner, and once strawberry's in our room when we boarded.

I was never unhappy with the pvp but i did expect a bit considering i was doing most of the leg work.

just my opinion and experience

- I always get either an OBC or some type of cash reward.

- I get a return cruise check or another credit.

-when there are issues with Carnival (and I always seem to have issues with the back office offering credit, or claiming I don't have one) my TA handles these.

- My TA always give me a bottle of wine.

- My TA is pleasant and easy to deal with and intelligent.

And my last experience with a TA was, well not at all like that. Once he had the booking, he acted as it I did not exist and was intent on disturbing his siesta. I will never book a cruise through a travel agent again.

Doc

did you get that written on your confirmation? Did you reconfirm the procedures for this benefit prior to your cruise? Did you speak to a manager when you got back and request a credit for the value of the dinner?

these questions need answering...thanks

Iv had this happen with a TA too .. its not that uncommon. They promised me a bottle of wine if I booked with them again.. no wine. the ship contacted the TA, TA blamed the cruiseline. cruiseline confirmed no order had been placed. After 3 calls to the TA after my cruise, then sent me a check for $10.

Would you believe they then sent me another email offering a bottle of wine to book with them again.

Some TAs you need to just click off your list .. but one night at 11 pm, they still had live help so I tried to use them again, and they couldnt get the numbers to come out correctly.. said I needed to find out the "codes" (not their problem).

This is so funny..use a TA..dont use a TA...reminds we of something that I just sit back and smile about...

In my neighborhood/schools/group of friends..etc... I am regarded as an expert on how to get a Disney vacation..and all the trimmings...at rock bottom rates...and the free food plan as well.....and I am always willing to show people how to do it...and folks have called me many times over to ask about those little ways of doing it...which btw, are hidden in plain site..if you do your research.....

You cannot imagine how many times people have told me that they would rather not call Disney directly and use a brick and mortar:eek: TA to book the trip..and dare I say it...the flight as well..come on now..everyone books flights online these days...

so be it.....they are thrilled with the fact that their TA got them breakfast with Mickey thrown in and a costly private limo from the airport...and I am thrilled that I got free roundtrip DW transfers..the free food plan and a family value resort suite that sleeps 6 and has 2 bathrooms...and park tix....

and get this...for less than the TA charged them...go figure...you tell me who got the better deal....:D

Oh and I got a non stop 2 1/2 hour flight at a good price because I am not afraid to book the tix myself...but their TA...got them a 1 stop flight that took 6 hours to get to Orlando...because the TA likes the airline!:eek:

I always book our cruises online through the Carnival website. I enjoy controlling my own affairs.

Due to staying on top of things we are getting on board the Ecstasy with $260 OBC in less than 2 weeks. Our final price for 3 cruisers in an inside was $747. To me that is worth keeping my own control. But, I understand everyone is different.

This is so funny..use a TA..dont use a TA...reminds we of something that I just sit back and smile about...

In my neighborhood/schools/group of friends..etc... I am regarded as an expert on how to get a Disney vacation..and all the trimmings...at rock bottom rates...and the free food plan as well.....and I am always willing to show people how to do it...and folks have called me many times over to ask about those little ways of doing it...which btw, are hidden in plain site..if you do your research.....

You cannot imagine how many times people have told me that they would rather not call Disney directly and use a brick and mortar:eek: TA to book the trip..and dare I say it...the flight as well..come on now..everyone books flights online these days...

so be it.....they are thrilled with the fact that their TA got them breakfast with Mickey thrown in and a costly private limo from the airport...and I am thrilled that I got free roundtrip DW transfers..the free food plan and a family value resort suite that sleeps 6 and has 2 bathrooms...and park tix....

and get this...for less than the TA charged them...go figure...you tell me who got the better deal....:D

Oh and I got a non stop 2 1/2 hour flight at a good price because I am not afraid to book the tix myself...but their TA...got them a 1 stop flight that took 6 hours to get to Orlando...because the TA likes the airline!:eek:

Any reputable TA will tell their clients that it is cheaper to book their own flights because they do add a fee.......and even if the TA did book the flight, the client has full control of which flight would suit them......

Also not sure why people think they loose control of their booking if a TA books a cruise for them.

Iv had this happen with a TA too .. its not that uncommon. They promised me a bottle of wine if I booked with them again.. no wine. the ship contacted the TA, TA blamed the cruiseline. cruiseline confirmed no order had been placed. After 3 calls to the TA after my cruise, then sent me a check for $10.

Would you believe they then sent me another email offering a bottle of wine to book with them again.

Some TAs you need to just click off your list .. but one night at 11 pm, they still had live help so I tried to use them again, and they couldnt get the numbers to come out correctly.. said I needed to find out the "codes" (not their problem).

I agree this happens..but before our NCL Jewel cruise last April I made sure that I reconfirmed with the TA about the OBC and the free bottles (2 for us) of wine and it was printed on my confirmation as well. NCL of course had changed their procedures about the wine (no problem with the OBC) but had no issue with giving me the vouchers for the wine that I just presented at the MDR or speciality rests.

As far as this OP's issue..the cruiseline should have just looked at the written confirmation and seen the 2 dinners..and just given it to them. That is good business as the OP should have had it in writing anyway.

Of course..I only book now thru the big online agency that books thousands of cruises a day...I know that..the cruiseline knows that..the TA knows that.....so problems are settled very quickly..because the cruiseline is not going to piss off the TA that sends them so much business.

The only "catch" here would be maybe "off hours" or weekends that the TA isn't open. Just my first thought, and this is why.

I'm a small business person and for that reason remained loyal to my local TA for our first 8 cruises. Having a friend that used a PVP, and listening to him rave about said PVP, then having a little issue with my TA, (bless her heart, getting old and wasn't available a few times, and the rest of her office was inept!) I decided to use the PVP. Honestly, other than being able to briefly "shoot the breeze" with the guy, there's absolutely no advantage. When we book now, I know what I want before I call, and all the PVP does is hunt and peck the keyboard to make it happen. We use FCC's and the whole nine yards, and again, I handle all the legwork. I guess what I'm saying is that I haven't experienced much difference in service, price, advantages, disadvantages, etc with either of the two.

I will say this though, after "handling" everything for my family of 5 adults for our Alaska cruise this past summer, I will use a TA if we do something like that again, if for nothing but the air and hotel bookings. That was a pain in the arse!!! I swear I grew a few more gray hairs over that ordeal!! lol

Good points. For me, I like using the TA not only for some added OBC....but I feel like they are on my side if I happen to have an issue with Carnival. And after reading many posts there are many that have issues with different problems regarding Carnival....could be any cruiseline for that matter. If Carnival says: no.....then I can go to my TA to try and push some buttons. They have much more pull booking thousands of trips as opposed to my one or two. Kind of like when you hire a lawyer to represent you......

Any reputable TA will tell their clients that it is cheaper to book their own flights because they do add a fee.......and even if the TA did book the flight, the client has full control of which flight would suit them......

Also not sure why people think they loose control of their booking if a TA books a cruise for them.

I am not going to debate what you are saying....and if you reread my post...you cannot think that I agree with having a TA book airfare...so please don't go there...ok

I am just stating that some travelers are still only comfortable with listening to brick and mortar TA's...and follow their advice like "sheeple"...thus.. in the situation I am referring to the travelers were so stupid that they let the TA do all the work...and they didn't even realize that the TA was not doing the best for them.....not only with airfare...but with the Disney booking as well...all because they couldn't make the call themselves to Disneyworld...

and to answer the next inevitable question...it is not my TA..never would be..I do my own booking thru an online well respected TA..and tell them what I want..not the other way around..always get good prices...always do much research before I call the TA..always book my own airfare....and always will....I am just relating what someone I am acquainted with did...and it was stupid what they did and that they were so insecure

I am not going to debate what you are saying....and if you reread my post...you cannot think that I agree with having a TA book airfare...so please don't go there...ok

I am just stating that some travelers are still only comfortable with listening to TA's...and follow their advice like "sheeple"...thus.. in the situation I am referring to the travelers were so stupid that they let the TA do all the work...and they didn't even realize that the TA was not doing the best for them.....not only with airfare...but with the Disney booking as well...all because they couldn't make the call themselves to Disneyworld...

and to answer the next inevitable question...it is not my TA..never would be..I do my own booking..and always will....I am just relating what someone I am acquainted with did...and it was stupid what they did and that they were so insecure

It was a statement against their TA NOT you:D This is a discussion about TA's so I every right to go there.

And my second comment because many posters are saying they don't use a TA because they want to be in control.

It was a statement against their TA NOT you:D This is a discussion about TA's so I every right to go there.

And my second comment because many posters are saying they don't use a TA because they want to be in control.

oh i see what you mean now...:o

Archived