Why I will only book through TA and not direct with Carnival

valtandc

when there are issues with Carnival (and I always seem to have issues...
Maybe you wouldn't have these issues if you used a good PVP. :D

At least I'm not the only one thinking that this TA is not very good when the OP is having "issues" with every cruise they book, (and when the TA keeps feeding them wine and cash to keep their business!)

People who use TA's are the same people who write checks at the grocery store and pay bills with envelopes and stamps.

All 3 are anachronisms. When this group of people die off, neither of the 3 will exist any further. I can't wait.

So, OP, enjoy your TA - what's the harm? You mutually benefit each other.

People who use TA's are the same people who write checks at the grocery store and pay bills with envelopes and stamps.

All 3 are anachronisms. When this group of people die off, neither of the 3 will exist any further. I can't wait.

What's a check......and yes I use a TA:rolleyes: And what is your point? It makes no sense whatsoever.......

After 14 cruises with Carnival I learned the proper way to book another cruise

1. I book through a TA and for a 7N cruise I get $100 on board credit.

2. I use a cruise certificate and get $100 on board credit.

3. I use my stock ownership credit onboard credit $100.

4. I use my new mastercard that I get onboard and cancel it and get another new one $50 on board credit.

That is $350 on board credit and by using a travel agent as you can see I get a credit of $100.

Rocky

One time I found a fairly good rate with a TA, before restrictions were in place. Out of loyality I booked furture cruises with her and also sent her some other business from friends and family, everything was great. Until ES came along. I had to do the leg work anyway, but she got very upset when I found a lower rate and she had to submit the form. After the 3rd one she informed me that there would be a $25 charge if she had to make any changes (this was not listed in the original agreement). I'm glad that some people are loyal and get good deals, but for me a TA is out of the question for any future cruises.

So instead of taking less commision she would rather have no commision.

How long can your business survive that way?

Bill

You expect a kickback?

And who do you think is going to be paying for that kickback?

-your Travel Agent? The firm she works for?

No. it's YOU who will be paying for that kickback, whether directly or indirectly! :)

Whatever it cost Them, to give You your kickback, was all tied into the price you were quoted.

Nothing is free, certainly not kickbacks. Not in the cruise industry

Not in any industry.

I'm just glad to get a firm booking with no shilly-shallying.

Don't want, need or expect a kickback. I can afford my own. ;)

I disagree with you on this.

The TA charges the same price that is on the CCL website and rebates you $25 or whatever amount they agree to from their commision.

Doesn't cost the consumer any more money directly or indirectly.

Bill

At least I'm not the only one thinking that this TA is not very good when the OP is having "issues" with every cruise they book, (and when the TA keeps feeding them wine and cash to keep their business!)

No. This isn't the case. I had one issue with getting $250 cruise credit for someone that cancelled. I'm just lucky to have a great TA I guess. I had no intention to put down any other way of booking. My point was: if you can get OBC and so forth why wouldn't u take advantage of it. To each his own.

Huh. Lol. This is a ridiculous post. The TA makes things much easier for me. They do all the work. How do people like you post such nonsense when you have no clue. lol. amazing

After 14 cruises with Carnival I learned the proper way to book another cruise

1. I book through a TA and for a 7N cruise I get $100 on board credit.

2. I use a cruise certificate and get $100 on board credit.

3. I use my stock ownership credit onboard credit $100.

4. I use my new mastercard that I get onboard and cancel it and get another new one $50 on board credit.

That is $350 on board credit and by using a travel agent as you can see I get a credit of $100.

Rocky

Hey Rocky....you better watch it...people are gonna lash out at you for saving money the legit way because they don't have the common sense or know how to do so. Smart for you Rocky. Teach me how to do this. Many people on this board don't want to learn anything...They just stick with comments like: " Oh, but I like my guy down in Florida...He is so nice"

Many good comments here. I use a PVP! A great one actually.

Why is she great? Because she gives me good information, good service, and takes care of any issues that may arise.

Do I get extra OBC from her, a Bottle of wine, other extras delivered to my room. No. Do I expect them NO.

One thing I do have however is her personal cell phone number. I do not abuse this priviledge, actually I have never called it. (I did send her a text message once maybe.) BUT I do have it incase of an emergency at an odd hour. As mentioned prior, I guess she does a good job as I have not had that emergency and needed to call her at an odd hour.

I do like being able to fill out my own ES forms and take care of that quicker than making a phone call to someone to handle for me.

I love my PVP! She is fantastic and I wouldn't trade her for anything! She always goes the extra mile and is super!

Same here! And she knows our likes and is willing to take "vetos" on cabin selection, if we don't like a locale on a new ship. But DW treats her with kindness and gets "repaid" in same.

Some PVPs aren't as good though, from stories I read here.

I think some TAs can be fabulous and work very hard for customers and to make relationships with cruise lines and do a bang up job. Others are pinching the commission and just going through the motions and haven't developed an "inside track" to various cruise lines.

Hey Rocky....you better watch it...people are gonna lash out at you for saving money the legit way because they don't have the common sense or know how to do so. Smart for you Rocky. Teach me how to do this. Many people on this board don't want to learn anything...They just stick with comments like: " Oh, but I like my guy down in Florida...He is so nice"

Not everyone is willing to do this over and over .. but hey you can do it for other cards too. I just signed up for the SW VISA card to get my free flights. there are a ton of credit cards out there if one wants to constantly be changing credit cards. Im cruising 6 to 8 times a year, so Id have to apply for a new card and cancel one every month or so?? I dont think this is such a unknown trick.

Nothing new to learn. Everyone does what they prefer. Im probably saving a lot more than the OP by booking group cruises but when I tell friends how to save a barrel of money.. and they see I have to choose the dates and ships and cabins offered ... they say oh I want to be able to pick my date, I dont want to book so far out... lots dont care if they save money if its inconvenient. . ..

Its always a trade off.

My biggest tip to getting the best deals on cruise prices .. you need to be flexible. I know people who will only cruise on Carnival and that limits their choices .. or whatever reason they have for picking .. the more you place limits .. the less chance you have of snagging that super deal.

PS Im not going to be applying for a new mastercard multiple times a year either to get OBC for free. better ways.

I do my research ahead of time. I find out which cruise is the best value for us in the time period we are looking for. I know going in what the cruiseline is charging (This is for any cruiseline we are sailing not just Carnival). I then go through a website that allows on-line TA's to compete for my business.

On our Glory cruise last July, we received a slightly lower rate, 2 photo coupons and a Carnival Jacket. The TA booked exactly what I wanted and worked with me on any ES reductions that I found. On our upcoming NCL Epic cruise, we received a reduced rate (because the TA had a group cruise booked on this cruise), $190 OBC for each room (again due to the group booking), and a bottle of wine for each room. The TA booked exactly what I wanted and I have not seen a lower rate since I booked.

We used different TA's since each time a different TA had a better offer. These are just the last examples....we have been booking our cruises this way for our last 6 cruises with absolutely no problems. In each case, I was able to get more from our TA than I would have received from booking direct with a cruiseline. In each case, we had no service issues. I will continue to book this way. I always come out ahead and see no reason to change a good thing.

A reputable TA will go to bat for you in case of an emergency making hotel resrvations, missed flights, transfers etc a PVP won't....

The only "catch" here would be maybe "off hours" or weekends that the TA isn't open. Just my first thought, and this is why.

I'm a small business person and for that reason remained loyal to my local TA for our first 8 cruises. Having a friend that used a PVP, and listening to him rave about said PVP, then having a little issue with my TA, (bless her heart, getting old and wasn't available a few times, and the rest of her office was inept!) I decided to use the PVP. Honestly, other than being able to briefly "shoot the breeze" with the guy, there's absolutely no advantage. When we book now, I know what I want before I call, and all the PVP does is hunt and peck the keyboard to make it happen. We use FCC's and the whole nine yards, and again, I handle all the legwork. I guess what I'm saying is that I haven't experienced much difference in service, price, advantages, disadvantages, etc with either of the two.

I will say this though, after "handling" everything for my family of 5 adults for our Alaska cruise this past summer, I will use a TA if we do something like that again, if for nothing but the air and hotel bookings. That was a pain in the arse!!! I swear I grew a few more gray hairs over that ordeal!! lol

Travel agents make things easier for slow, dim-witted, resistant to change types of people.

I use TA's. But I always do my research ahead of time. I know exactly what the cruiselines are charging and I find a TA who can beat that and/or offer me incentives that a PVP can't. I always come out ahead....so who is the slow, dim-witted one???? :rolleyes:

When I used a TA I had the opposite experience. She promised my a dinner in the steakhouse - did not materialize...

did you get that written on your confirmation? Did you reconfirm the procedures for this benefit prior to your cruise? Did you speak to a manager when you got back and request a credit for the value of the dinner?

these questions need answering...thanks

When booking complicated trips, such as Europe, I will always use a travel agent of some kind. However, for Carnival cruises, I have found no better deal than booking directly with them either online or with a PVP. I enjoy searching on the internet and comparing prices. When we decided which cruise we wanted, went to the local TA and asked her to give us a price. We were in the ES rate period. She came out with a price $500.00 MORE than what was available directly with Carnival. We could not believe it. Even when we told her the price difference, she would not come down or offer anything such as OBC. She lost our business. Honestly I am rethinking booking anything with her since she was so overpriced on the cruise.

Still waiting for a price reduction on our Legend cruise in November. Nothing has come out cheaper than the ES rate, even when we look at upgrades and OBC others are offering.

I use TA's. But I always do my research ahead of time. I know exactly what the cruiselines are charging and I find a TA who can beat that and/or offer me incentives that a PVP can't. I always come out ahead....so who is the slow, dim-witted one???? :rolleyes:

So, you spend all your time doing research, finding the best deal and knowing exactly what you want and then you call your TA and tell them everything you want?

Who's the travel agent here? I may not know that, but I do know who the dim-witted one is.

I booked 3 vacations within 1 1/2 years with the same TA. One land and 2 cruises and I got NOTHING. So much for loyalty. :mad:.

For my cruise in October I found a Carnival PVP and like firefly said, wouldn't trade her for any OBC :)

did you ask the TA for something and they said no? Or did you not ask for anything? I always ask my online TA for things....I even follow their website for any extras they are throwing in after I have booked...and send them a quick email...

always get an OBC and wine of course...and just received a $400 price reduction as well...

but don't say they haven't given you anything..unless you know they have something to give...and just didn't give it to you

I will certainly keep looking and will keep asking for anything that they are offerring....

now if they weren't offerring a thing...then why would I keep booking with them? If you want something from them and they can't produce it...and you think or know of another TA who can...you problem is that you haven't gone to the other TA.

Archived