Weight Watchers Point System anyone?

cruising mickey

Thanks Cari, it really is helpful to talk with people who understand completely what you are going through. Like I said, I thought I showed restraint the last cruise, but still gained almost 4 pounds and have had a hard time getting back on track.

It's been getting a little easier the past couple of days, so maybe I'm over the hump now. Got my dh using Spark People to track what he's eating because I don't think he realizes how big his portions are. He too needs to lose about 100 pounds. And I think to myself, "How did THAT happen?" And the answer is one pound at a time. That's what happens when we are not vigilant in what we are eating. As you said, one day slips into another, then one week into another and before you know it, it's years.

I do not plan on that happening again! I am now 57 years old and have been battling this since I had my tonsils out at age 6. That triggered my weight gaining. It's been a battle ever since.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]Good cruise plan Cari. You are doing really well. Bunches I am pulling for you to reach your goal by cruise time. And as you say, you are in this for life, so you will be down those pounds at some point. Why is it that we accept we gain a pound at a time over weeks, months, years, but we feel disappointment when we lose more slowly than we want? Let's just keep on doing everything that we know works for us and we will be happy with ourselves no matter how long it takes to reach goal. We are going to be doing this for the rest of our lives or we will be regaining all we lose and even more.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]Nikki[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]Just back from my WI. I knew I would be up this week and I was. However, all I gained was .2 so that makes me feel not too bad. I know what I did ( or didn't ) do and so will repair it for next WI. This setback means that it will take a little longer to reach goal but I will reach it and then maintain. Good luck to others this week.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]Nikki[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] Edited by gubby

Nikki-- don't worry too much, .2 is like a good pee. LOL. You are really devoted and conscious of what you eat........ a real inspiration to a WW repeater, like myself.

Happy Hump-day to everyone.

I had a hurdle this week that I recognized immediately. I thought that I would share. I love potato chips, so I bought a big box of the individually packaged 100 cal packs of Pringles. I did eat only the one package as a snack, BUT, I think it set-off some kind of a binge alert in my mind. Right after eating the Pringles, I went on a hunt for some bingie-type food. I ended up finding one left over candy cane and two leftover foil-wrapped Holiday Hearts. I ate them ALL and then felt really bad about not being able to control myself. I cannot explain the Pringles leading to a mini-binge but I know it happend. I started to really analyze this and could only equate it to potato chips being one of my favorite junk foods and just eating them, 100 cal packs or not, set-off a binge signal in my brain. I have 100 cal bags of pretzels and the mini-bags of 94% fat-free popcorn and I am fine with them, it's just the potato chips :confused:. I ended up adding up the points for the mini candy cane and the two holiday chocolates. I wasted 7 points on 3 minutes of eating pleasure. That is more activity points than I earn in one day. I sent the whole box of packaged Pringles to work with my dh and told him to set them in the break room. I feel like I have overcome an obstacle that may have been holding me back in the past. I really believe I caught myself and starting to really analyze my eating habits, due to the new 360` plan and it's way of getting us to think about the way the food plays a part in our daily lives. I learned someting new...... Old habits die hard.

Another thing that I did this week was to restock my car with emerency snacks. I put some Fiber One bars in the glove box along with a few packets of Crystal Light. It paid-off yesterday. My dh and I had a lot of errands to run plus a 60 mile roundtrip drive to visit to his Mom in the nursing home. We stopped at the grocery store to pick her up a box of assorted pasty, our usual habit of bringing her a treat. While there, it was around lunch time. My dh went to the deli and bought a small box of fried chicken strips. I looked over the offerings and really didn't see anything that looked like a good choice so I ended up just buying one Apple and a diet A&W Rootbeer and then having one of the Fiber One bars. Once at the nursing home, I had a cup of decaf coffee with Splenda and skim instead of a Soda, hot cocoa and Cookies, which the staff provides for family and guests. I am really trying to retrain my brain to make better choices when faced with unexpected situations. I realize that this will not work in every scenero, like going out to dinner with friends and wanting to use extra points for something that I really want, but, at least it is retraining me to pick and choose what situations are important enough to me to be using my extra points.

Sorry for the long rant, but I really think that it helps me to stay on plan when I can pinpoint certain little areas that I am weak in. I have been a WW reoffender since 2003, so realizing THIS is a lifetime commitment and not a quick fix is helping me plan out stratagies that I can live with for a long time.

Wishing everyone a great week and a smile when you step on the scale.:)

Cari

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]Well thought out Cari. I will have to sit down and try to analyze my habits to the same extent that you have. My biggest problem is snacking on sweets. As I am Type2 diabetic, this is really serious and still I sometimes find it hard to stop myself from doing it. [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

We all have triggers that set us off with the eating. I am addicted to sweets as well. Though I do pretty well with the Fiber One brownies. The most I've eaten in two a day, but they're 2 points each and worth every single point. Too often I get the urge to eat when I know I'm not really hungry. That's what I have to fight.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]So far this has been a so-so week. I have not tracked completely and have eaten out twice. I also have had wine once and a marguerita on Monday. I resisted the "snackies" last night, but that was because it was just before bedtime. I am into the extra points and Thursday is just beginning with the Superbowl and its challenges to come on Sunday. I will put out healthy choices like fruit and veggies, but the wings will call me. I gain if I use any of the extras, so I am dreading Monday. Perhaps what I need is a true gain so that I can just start over again. I really want this loss must constantly talk to myself about it.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I understand where you are coming from. I have to constantly talk to myself as well to keep myself on track. The fact that you avoided the munchies last night is great! Each time we resist is a triumph.

Today would be weigh in day, my last, but we forgot and made an appointment to take the dog to the vet at the same time, so that's it. I think that I am the same as last week even though I have been good this week. It's so depressing. My dh cut down on food and lost 10 pounds in 5 days! Why can men do that??? Oh well.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]Keep on keeping on bunches. You do have your past success to help you over some of the hurdles and we are all here to encourage and allow you to vent, run ideas by and be your cheerleaders. You have done great things before and you will do great things again. As for men losing easily, I think God made them that way because he knew they have less patience than women. It is surely annoying but we need to keep them around to carry packages and squash bugs.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='bunchesofun']I understand where you are coming from. I have to constantly talk to myself as well to keep myself on track. The fact that you avoided the munchies last night is great! Each time we resist is a triumph.

Today would be weigh in day, my last, but we forgot and made an appointment to take the dog to the vet at the same time, so that's it. I think that I am the same as last week even though I have been good this week. It's so depressing. My dh cut down on food and lost 10 pounds in 5 days! Why can men do that??? Oh well.[/quote]

Keep on heading in the right direction. Every once in awhile it's normal to hit a bump or two in the road. Just make mini-me goals and keep the big picture in sight. I just tell myself that the weight didn't come on in just a few weeks (or months) and it wont come off in a few weeks.

Slow and steady wins the race......... and creates good lifestyle habits that will stick.

You go girl !!!!!! :)

I was down 2.8 at today's weigh-in. I'm happy with that.

I bought a box of the Special-K chocolate-pretzel 90 cal bars..... and boy are they ever good. A great little snack for only 2 pts.

:) Wishing everyone a great weekend and a good loss at the scales this week.

Cari

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]Excellent loss for the week Cari. You will certainly reach your goal with results like this. I must look for those bars. [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]I will not lose much if anything this week. It is so difficult for me to get with the program without jeopardizing my good intentions this week. I have no idea what is going on and seem helpless to stop the insanity. I am talking to myself non-stop but find it so easy to ignore me too. Tomorrow is another day and I must get myself in control.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Hello everyone. I don't post much, but I do read your thread daily. You ladies are a tremendous support to each other! [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I have one question, well more of an observation. I find that my loss on the scales shows up ever OTHER week. I remember years ago when I lost weight, it was the same thing. One week nothing - the next week a loss. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Do any of you experience that?[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='gubby'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]Excellent loss for the week Cari. You will certainly reach your goal with results like this. I must look for those bars. [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]I will not lose much if anything this week. It is so difficult for me to get with the program without jeopardizing my good intentions this week. I have no idea what is going on and seem helpless to stop the insanity. I am talking to myself non-stop but find it so easy to ignore me too. Tomorrow is another day and I must get myself in control.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]Nikki[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

I am not one to give good advice as I have slipped off the WW wagon so many times that it's embarrassing. Just keep the big picture in mind, know you have bonus points to use and keep healty options around.

You are doing so well. Sometimes a week of just wanting to maintain is ok. I keep telling myself that no foods are off limits as long as they are in moderation...... and pre-planning is key.

I can share with you my plan for Super Bowl Sunday. I have already planned to have 2 of the Miller 64 calorie beers during the game. I've already written them down in my journal. Now, I can plan the rest of my Super Bowl snacks around that.
I am putting out pretzels and assorted mustards, a bowl of popcorn, and some whole grain tortilla chips with baby carrots & celery sticks along with a spicy chipolte salsa mixed in with a few TBL of fat-free sour cream. ( My dh can't even tell this dip is healty :D) I am also going to make some oven baked crispy chicken strips and oven backed crispy shrimp to round it out.
I'm going to try to focus on the game and company, not the food.

Hang in there girl.

Good luck Nikki....... :)

[quote name='Hoosiercouple']I am not one to give good advice as I have slipped off the WW wagon so many times that it's embarrassing. Just keep the big picture in mind, know you have bonus points to use and keep healty options around.

You are doing so well. Sometimes a week of just wanting to maintain is ok. I keep telling myself that no foods are off limits as long as they are in moderation...... and pre-planning is key.

I can share with you my plan for Super Bowl Sunday. I have already planned to have 2 of the [B][COLOR=red]Miller 64 calorie beers[/COLOR][/B] during the game. I've already written them down in my journal. Now, I can plan the rest of my Super Bowl snacks around that.
I am putting out pretzels and assorted mustards, a bowl of popcorn, and some whole grain tortilla chips with baby carrots & celery sticks along with a spicy chipolte salsa mixed in with a few TBL of fat-free sour cream. ( My dh can't even tell this dip is healty :D) I am also going to make some oven baked crispy chicken strips and oven backed crispy shrimp to round it out.
I'm going to try to focus on the game and company, not the food.

Hang in there girl.

Good luck Nikki....... :)

.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Speaking of beverages, I bought Skinny Grape Pinot Grigio. 2 points for a full cup (8 oz). Its pretty good! Tastes like wine that you added ice to, and it melted. Gives me the taste of the wine for half the points. Bonus! [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote=High C's;36944908][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Speaking of beverages, I bought Skinny Grape Pinot Grigio. 2 points for a full cup (8 oz). Its pretty good! Tastes like wine that you added ice to, and it melted. Gives me the taste of the wine for half the points. Bonus! [/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Is that the Skinny Girl Brand by that woman that used to be on the NY Housewives and then got her own show ? I can't think of her name ?????? Or, is Skinny Grape the brand name ? That is really good for points, I may have to look for it.

Thanks for sharing the info.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]We must have been on the same wave length when planning a menu for SuperBowl, Cari. I bought the same things when at Costco this morning, except I bought hummus for veggie dipping. I am going to simply boil my shrimp and dip it in cocktail sauce. Speaking of dips, I have been doing the salsa and sour cream combo for years and everyone asks for the recipe. John sampled the hummus in Costco today and admitted that he thought it was very tasty. He is slowly coming around.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]High C's- I learned when we lived in Germany to mix my wine ( either red or white) with seltzer or ginger ale in order to be able to have a couple of drinks at a party, and have continued to do so since then. As long as you use diet soda or water, the glass of wine is 2 pp. As we tend to buy less expensive wines anyway, I love doing this. Mixing it with a diet soda makes a sweet spritzer and with seltzer or sometimes tonic, it is a dry spritzer. I find both very acceptable. Another trick is to freeze grapes and drop them into the wine. It helps to keep the wine cold without diluting it. I am not a beer drinker and only occasionally have a mixed drink so don't use many points that way. However, I do like Cari's idea of counting this first.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]Good luck to all of us tomorrow and at the next WI.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]As I mentioned in earlier posts I am having a lot of trouble committing in the last couple of weeks. I thnk it must be diet fatigue. I have a WI this morning and know that I have gained. However, that will all be water under the bridge as I have come up with plan that should help to lift me out of the doldrums. [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]After seeing the newer Jenny Craig commercials, I have decided that I am going to take the "ME" days while we are here in the south until April. I know that 360 is basically the same thing, and that I can use the extra 49 points however I want. But to me, being able to go to a restaurant or have a glass of wine at dinner 2x a week by saying " ME DAY," sounds more like freedom. So on Wednesdays and Saturdays, I am upping my points to 32. The other days I will keep them at 26 and I WILL track everything and not use any extra points. That sounds more appealing to me and should help to get me out of this very bad rut. I will keep you all posted as to how it goes. As they say, " A change is a s good as a rest."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I just don't know what it is with my body. I kept myself to about 31 points a day all week (My allotment is 29) and was only down about a pound, then yesterday had 41 points and I'm up two pounds! I can't use a large portion of extra points in one day or it messes up my losses. Very depressing. I am still heavier than I was November 28 before we left on the cruise. And I was hoping to lose that, plus a bit more before the next one in June.

How did everyone do with their SuperBowl Sunday ?

I went in with a good plan but ended up going over my points PLUS using all of my remaining bonus points for the entire week. I am so bummed this morning...... It was all healthy food choices, but just more than the individual serving size, so I had to double points for some items. The good thing was that I did not have any beer like I had planned, I had a few diet A&W rootbeers instead. A friend brought some double fudge frosted brownies and I did have one of those as well.

I agree with you Nikki, a person has to live...and trying to live on 21 points per day is so darn restrictive.

BTW, WW figured me in at 21 points per day !!!! That is so holy-crap hard to do. Now that I just turned 50, I have to add another dairy to my day as well.......

I am going to go to the WW site and refigure my points target as it just seems so low compared to what everyone else's target is at.

Wishing everyone a great week.

Cari

:)

I went to the web site and just refigured my points target and it is infact 21. 2 pts for being female, 1 point for being between age 48-57, the first two numbers in my weight 15, 1 point for being between 5' - 5'9", and finally 2 points for sitting but also standing and active during the day. That does equate to 21.

. Edited by Hoosiercouple
to add addl comment

my Wii would not work this morning so I was not able to see what I gained on our cruise.

I felt like i was constantly eating. But the shrimp coctail with those 4 tiny shrinp-- how many points will that dish be??

I shared desserts with honey.
Only had 2 guys burgers-- and ditched the rolls as they were really saturated with the grease from the burger.

only had 2 slices of pizza the entire week and ONLY one little vanilla ice cream cone.

[quote name='Hoosiercouple']I agree with you Nikki, a person has to live...and trying to live on 21 points per day is so darn restrictive..[/quote]

the lowest point value on Weight Watchers is 26.

Please use this site to better calculate
[url]http://www.exercise4weightloss.com/points-plus-allowance.html[/url]

and each person is given an extra 49 a week
You should NEVER eat less then 26 points. Edited by serene56

[quote name='serene56']my Wii would not work this morning so I was not able to see what I gained on our cruise.

I felt like i was constantly eating. But the shrimp coctail with those 4 tiny shrinp-- how many points will that dish be??

I shared desserts with honey.
Only had 2 guys burgers-- and ditched the rolls as they were really saturated with the grease from the burger.

only had 2 slices of pizza the entire week and ONLY one little vanilla ice cream cone.

the lowest point value on Weight Watchers is 26.

Please use this site to better calculate
[URL]http://www.exercise4weightloss.com/points-plus-allowance.html[/URL]

and each person is given an extra 49 a week
You should NEVER eat less then 26 points.[/quote]

Holy Sh!! I've been on 21 points for a very long time AND it was calculated by a WW rep !!!!!!!!

Thanks,

BTW, I just read you're review. It sounds like you had a great time. We were planning on doing the exact same thing in San Juan, so that info came in handy. I Posted a question, on your review, to see if the salad bar had low fat or fat free dressing options. Also, wanted to see if you used the outside track and how many laps equel a mile.

Thanks.

Cari