Weight Watchers Point System anyone?

cruising mickey

I know I should be asking myself, "Is THIS really worth it???" before I put something in my mouth. Because really, in the end, it's not, is it? It takes at least a week to lose a pound, but we can gain it in one day easily. Once, my first time on WW, when I'd lost control, I managed to gain 9 pounds in one week. So I KNOW how easy it is to sabotage yourself.

I've got 10 months to lose 40 (or more) pounds and I really want to do it. But I can't if I keep eating when I'm out of points. This thread helps me focus on it all.

I started WW on Wed. I have been really good about tracking and making good choices. The only problem I have had is that I get 51 points and don't come close to using them all. I don't feel hungry and I don't want to eat just to eat. I am doing WW Online for Men. I have also started doing Couch 2 5k. My snacks are basically fruits and veggies which are zero point items. Any advice?

I started WW on Wed. I have been really good about tracking and making good choices. The only problem I have had is that I get 51 points and don't come close to using them all. I don't feel hungry and I don't want to eat just to eat. I am doing WW Online for Men. I have also started doing Couch 2 5k. My snacks are basically fruits and veggies which are zero point items. Any advice?

I agree with checking the WW site for advice, but here's my take.

Their calculation is that you need 51 points keep yourself satisfied. If you're eating 40 points and you're satisfied then I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. There are those who say you go into "starvation" mode, but at 40 points (or so) you're still taking in over 2000 calories a day.

I think there will come a day when you decide you really want something with a higher points value, and you shouldn't worry about it and should enjoy what you want (within reason). That's why you have so many points, so you don't deprive yourself and go overboard too often.

Couch to 5K is a great program. Go slow so you don't get hurt and then you'll make it through the whole program. If you find week 5 super hard then keep repeating it. There is no harm in taking 20, 30, 40 weeks to get there! Good luck and keep at it!!

I think everything that WaterBaby said is excellent advice. The most important thing is Tracking. If you eat til you are satisfied and track everything, this along with your exercise should keep you feeling satisfied. I sometimes do not eat all of my points ( that was last year) and did not go into sarvation mode.

This morning I went to my first meeting since September. I gained back 8 of the pounds that I found so hard to lose last year. This was a result of not tracking, but also of making bad choices. I am determined to get those pounds off and also reach my goal this time. Once I do that, I will concentrate on maintenence. This is achieveable and I WILL achieve it. All I can do is 1 day a at a time, and today is my first day.

Nikki

Where is everyone- I fell like I am talking to myself. We went out to a local bar for dinner last night. I had steamed shrimp and a small salad. Drank a white wine spritzer. This shouldn't jeopardize my week, but I will find out on Monday. Hope all are doing okay with your efforts.

Nikki

Hi Gubby, I'm here :) Had a lousy week last week and gained another .8 pounds. I just can't seem to get myself back under control! I am so frustrated. Every time I think I'm on track, I get derailed by some food. I'd like to think I'm stronger than that but it isn't working that way so far.

Bunches, I know how you feel. I slipped once earlier this week when I had a cream puff, and again this afternoon when I pulled DH's ice cream out of the freezer and had a couple of large spoons of it. I wasn't even hungry, it was just calling me. I resisted for about 15 minutes and then gave in. I know the tricks,- get out of the house, have a glass of water, chew some gum. None of them do a thing when this mood strikes. I think that all I can do is resist as many as I can and keep trying to get to my ideal weight. No sense beating ourselves up as in my case that is THE recipe for disaster and I will give in to any little urge that comes along. I must keep telling myself that I like how I look and feel now and I do not want to go back to the larger size I was last year. good luck to you and to me.

Nikki

I know, once I get that "I've blown it for today, so what else can I eat" feeling, it always ends badly.

Even just 20 pounds makes a difference. I noticed that walking from one end of the ship to the other I didn't get as winded as last cruise. Really hoping to lose at least 15 before the next cruise (June 2)

Yesterday was not too bad. I ended up with a McDonald's salad for late lunch, and soup for supper. Sunday after church I make pizza with a premade crust and fat free Mozarella cheese plus pepperoni. Two slices 11 points. Then maybe soup again for supper tonight. I don't cook much on the weekends which my husband doesn't mind so that's what we do.

Well hopefully the rest of the week will be good!

Hello everyone! I just found this board and need to go back and read all of the posts but thought it looked really interesting.

Just started doing Weight Watchers myself last Thursday.

We just got back from a b2b2b last month and I picked up 5 lbs which was less than I thought I would but instead of having to lose 15 lbs I now need to lose 20 lol.

Thanks for the heads up on the soup. I had 1/4 of a canteloupe for my supper. I'm so lazy on weekends. :)

Hey "Ready" welcome to our little group. It has been helpful to me to be able to talk to people who understand the journey. And as it relates to cruising too. I've had three gains in three weigh ins since the cruise. Of course it was over the cruise, dh's birthday, our anniversary, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. I gained about 5 pounds total over all those events, so it could most certainly be worse. My problem is getting back in the groove again.

Thanks for the heads up on the soup. I had 1/4 of a canteloupe for my supper. I'm so lazy on weekends. :)

Hey "Ready" welcome to our little group. It has been helpful to me to be able to talk to people who understand the journey. And as it relates to cruising too. I've had three gains in three weigh ins since the cruise. Of course it was over the cruise, dh's birthday, our anniversary, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. I gained about 5 pounds total over all those events, so it could most certainly be worse. My problem is getting back in the groove again.

Thanks for the welcome! I think to me it will be quite helpful talking to others about losing weight. That is why I found this thread to be so interesting.

So I went and got fitted for running shoes today. On the way back, I picked up Subway for DW and I. Usually, it is a foot long for both of us. I came home with 2 6 inch sandwiches and stopped at the store for broccoli and carrots. Felt much better.

A subway sandwich sure does sound good! I had an egg white omelet with spinach and parmesan cheese with turkey bacon for breakfast and a thin slice of homemade whole wheat toast. First time trying the egg white omelet...it was actually pretty good.:)

i am leaving for my cruise in two weeks and spent the weekend going back and forth deciding to do the steak house.

I decided not to. (well honey helped in that decision)

we get 49 extra anytime points. Our weigh in day in Thursday so we board on Sunday with 49 points and on Thursday we will get 49 more.

that steak house will play havoc terribly and use up most my points.

I'd rather have a dessert every night then eat all those points at one meal.

I tracked points every day online, but I was WAY over every day no matter how much I tried to restrict it. But my first weigh in after the cruise I was up 3.8. I've read that the average cruise passenger gains a pound a day. So I consider that I did pretty well all together. My biggest challenge has been getting back on program since I got home.

One of the ladies in our roll call had gastric bypass and had lost a significant amount of weight. From time to time I consider that option, but realistically, if I could eat small amounts like that in the first place I wouldn't need the surgery! Plus in reading the average person loses 50-70% of their excess weight, and then put back on a certain amount after 2 years. So for now at least I'll struggle on counting points.

I decided to enjoy myself and have what I want within reason. Not going to count pp. Just have a great time.

was our thought too- but the steakhouse was not a reasonable choice for us.

a frozen foo foo drink - non alcoholic will be about 14 points.

1/2 cup mashed taters is 4 and not counting the butter and cream they put in there... the onion soup, the ceasar salad-- and my gawd, the lobster which really is not a bad choice-- but then i have to smother every bite in the butter stuff.

and lets not forget the choc trio dessert...

Honey lost almost 80 pounds since March. Went from a 48 to a 36. (barely can sqeeze into a 34) that is a lot of hard work.

I only did 20 but I also do not excersice.

Tracking is key= a huge key. Write before you bite

Edited by serene56

Hi everyone I started back on WW on December 29,2012 and have done pretty good so far. My first week back I lost 3.6 pounds and the second week I lost .2 pounds so I'm at a total of 3.8 pounds. I would love to lose around 40 pounds before October 26,2013 but anything would be great :p

One thing I do know I have to get better at is tracking. I'm terrible at writng everything down

Tracking really is the key. If I don't track, I snack. I only lost 23 pounds between June 1 and December 1. And that was staying below points (including weeklies in there) for the week. When I was younger I would have lost more in the same amount of time. Oh well, any loss is a step in the right direction.

I can honestly say that on our 3 cruises last month the first 2 cruises on the Breeze I did not eat any desserts or breads. Well, I did have to have the hot dog bun at the Sea dogs...best hot dog I have ever eaten :o.

Then came our Princess cruise and out the window it all went! They had such awesome menus that I just did not care. Could not pass up that Dream Love Boat dessert thing. Ended up gaining 5 lbs that one cruise.

So now time to get serious! Our next cruise isn't until Dec. so I have 11 months to lose it.

Welcome to all the new "losers." It is good to have new people who want to do the same thing and to have to bounce ideas off.

I went for my WI this morning- first since September and I lost 2.3 pounds. I would ahve liked a larger loss, but I am happy with that as I had ice cream and a small cream puff last week. No wine tho' and I am planning on having a glass tomorrow night when we have friends over for dinner.

Nikki