Weight Watchers Point System anyone?

cruising mickey

After 2 weeks in Spain drinking sangria and eating wonderful meals all the time, and then a 16 day trans-Atlantic cruise with all the bread temptations I am back having gained a total of 3.2 pounds. I tried to follow the Simply Filling plan and for the mmost part was successful, but all that wonderful bread was my biggest downfall. We must have walked an average of 5 miles a day which certainly helped to keep the extra points in check. I am not too disappointed , but now need to lose those extras and not dwell on no loss for over a month. This is the best I have ever done on a cruise and if not for the bread, perhaps I would have stayed the same or even lost. However, I also think that I enjoyed the things I ate and drank more than I would have if I had denied myself. I will get back on track today, and try my best to have these extras off before we leave for S.C. in 3 weeks.

I am happy to hear about continuing losses for others.

Nikki

I jump started my motivation by getting a personal trainer! I had gotten burned out in weight watchers doing it for 12 years. I lost 0.6 pounds recently on a two-day cruise to nowhere and lost 0.4 pounds on a trip to Las Vegas. I have been trying to lose 25 pounds for five years now after losing 30. I think I can do it this time!

Cruise to the Med. in June. I am thinking about a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas in February if I get a bonus at work. No guarantee.

Best of luck to everyone!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day.

Congrats to all on recent losses.

Nikki, only 3.2 lbs for a cruise of that length seems like a blessing. You should be proud that you balanced out your days with walking and such.

Keep on - Keeping on. :)

Back to the treadmill today. I only had one bite of spice cake and a bite of pie, from my dh's plate and I was good to go as far as the desserts yesterday. I focused on the veggie tray sans the dip and had a slice of white meat turkey and made some wise choices on the sides. I brought my own Crystal Lite and herbal tea instead of the sweet tea and punch that was being served. Having the focus on family and friends really meant more than the food. We brought no leftovers home....... so no temptations. ( love that)

Have a great upcoming Weekend.

Cari

• 2 weeks later...

I was up on the scale over the Thanksgiving holiday so I want to go into this Christmas and New Years season with a viable plan. It is just too easy to give in at the holiday table and then too darn hard to take off.

I went grocery shopping this week with this upcoming holiday season in mind. I tried to stock-up on some healthy options on quick snacks for unexpected guests, and also for quick dinners for days when I am running late. We talked about this at our WW meeting so I had a slew of ideas.

I bought bags of pretzels and assorted mustards for dipping as well as hummus and whole grain pitas, plus cucumbers to cut into rounds to hold a dallop of humms or chicken salad. Cherry tomatoes and baby carrots as well. I always keep a fruit bowl on our dining room table but added some seasonal fruits that are not normally in the banana, apple mix. I also stocked up on lots of the new Yoplait Greek 100 yogurt. I use a little for a mix-in with cut-up fresh fruit as a dessert. I then top each individual bowl with a heaping TBL of fat-free Cool Whip.

For quick dinners, I pre-cooked some chic breasts and cubed it into individual freezer bags. I also cooked a batch of brown rice and measured it into serving size portions for the freezer. I usually buy fresh veggies but did buy a few bags of the steamers for something really quick.

In addition, I have already started pre-planning what I will be bringing to the in-laws for our Christmas dinner. Thier traditional Christmas dinner always consists of Chicken and dumplings with mashed potatoes and all of the rich sides along with my MIL's apple dumplings & rum sauce as one of the desserts. I am contributing a lean roasted pork loin with some type of chutney, stemed baby carrots with a touch of brown sugar Spenda and a fresh fruit salad; at least this way I know that I will be able to stay on plan.

I'm trying to take this holiday season on a day-to-day basis, as far as my WW. I am just keeping the big picture in sight as a visual to help me make it through.

Wishing everyone a successful week of losses,

Cari in Indy

I lost 3/4 of a pound this week. As usual, it is found so easily, but requires a lot of effort to lose it. I must admit, that I didn't track very closely, but with all the running around and packing, I would have expected to use more calories than I obviously did.

I read your plan for the holidays Cari and it sounds reasonable. I must start looking at something like that when we get to South Carolina. I think that by laying off the bread this next week, I will do better. We are attempting to use up all the food so we don't have to throw out much next week, but that plan is not helping me. I will have to bite the bullet and be more willing to toss stuff.

Cindy the Simply Filling plan that I followed on our trip was to eat only Power foods and not have to track on a daily basis. Anything that was not a power food was supposed to be accounted for in the extra 49 weekly points. It worked up to a point, but I obviously went over in the extra point category. However, that is the least amount that I have ever gained in a 4 week holiday period that included a 16 day cruise. So there was some success with the whole plan.

Nikki

Cari, I feel your disappoinment. We have all been there. Something goes wrong with the metabolsim on those weeks I think. However, you will likely find that the next week more than makes up for it.

I will not do well this week. My grand-daughter had her 17th birthday on Saturday. She wanted to go out for Chinese food, so I was behind the 8 ball before the week even got started. this week we have 3 dinner invitations and then begin our annual trek to S.C. So there will be no loss for me. I am just praying that the gain is in reasonable territory. All that hard work can be undone so quickly.

Good luck.

Edited by gubby

• 2 weeks later...

I gained another pound last week. And when we arrived in Myrtle beach I realized that I wouldn't get to a WW meeting until January 4 due to the Christmas holiday. I need the help that the meetings bring me and must try even harder to try to stay on track. At least I will be starting the year off weighing less than I did the same time in 2012. I have already decided that my plate for Christmas dinner will consist mainly of veggies. I will have 2 slices of turkey and because I am going to prepare my potatoes with half cauliflower, I do intend to have one small ladle of gravy. Dessert will be fresh fruit, and I will have only one serving of everything. I should not feel that I have been deprived of anything. If I try to repeat the same rules for New Years' dinner, things should not be too bad. Especially if I continue to do a mile walk along the beach each day. Happy holidays to all. What strategies are you planning to use for this period?

Nikki

I was down .8 this week.

Nikki, I love how you envision your holiday plate. Kudos to you.

I have a Christmas plan too. We are having brunch here with my son and then going to the in-laws later. I am bringing my own contributions to the table, which include a lean roasted pork tenderloin, steamed baby carrots, with just a touch of brown sugar Splenda, a jello salad with fresh fruit mixed in and topped with fat-free Cool Whip. ( a boring dessert but one that I do enjoy) Plus, I'm bringing my own bottled water and Crystal Lite. I will stick to the veggie tray sans the dip and the shrimp tray with lemon for appitizers.

Good luck to all for the Holiday Season !!

Cari

Got back from our cruise and I was up 3.8 pounds. HOWEVER, I am having a devil of a time getting back on track. I am hungry all the time and hence picking. I have got to stop this!

Gosh, I hate that feeling of getting-back-on-track after a vacation or what not. Just take it day by day and it will fall into play. Getting back in the habit of the treadmill or other exercise regimn helps out too.

Hang in there. !!!!

Cari

Good plan for the appetizers, Cari. As there will just be John and I, there will not be the addition of appetizers so no temptation there.

I found the cruise withdrawal difficut too, Bunches. I am still finding myself wanting to pick but am most often able to have a glass of water instead, but it has taken me 3 weeks to get to this stage. How hard it was to lose the excess weight and how easy it is to find it again! I must keep reminding myself that I liked the feeling of being down every one of those pounds and that I am going to get there again. My fervent wish is that I could be satisfied with a single small piece of chocolate or other sweet and not feel that I need to gobble down every piece in sight.

Nikki

Today is the first day I have had that I haven't picked or had two lunches, etc. It's 8 o'clock so only have to keep it together one more hour :)

I know I can do it I just have to concentrate and remember how wonderful it feels to step on that scale and have a loss. I really didn't think it would be this hard to get back on track, silly me.

Hi everyone,

I am doing a TA at the end of April and I can and will lose 25 pounds before then!!!

I'm doing WW online. I did meetings in 2006 and lost 29 lbs and got to my goal. Then I immediately quit going to meetings and gained back every pound, plus another 10.

I got one of those Active Links and am wearing it now. I know I need to be more active, but I also need to keep myself out of the kitchen after dinner. I think I'll go back to knitting in the evening & see if that keeps me honest. ;)

So if you don't mind, I'd like to check in with your group. Hopefully I can kick in some helpful ideas!

Welcome WaterBaby. It will be great to have another voice to listen to. It seems we all know our downfalls, we just need the encouragement to overcome them. Adding another voice will certainly help us. Good luck in your quest. I need to get through this holiday season and then back to regular meetings. They are what keeps me on track-I need that accountability.

Nikki

I tried very hard to stick to my plan yesterday. And for the most part I was successful. I did not overeat at dinner and had fruit for dessert. For breakfast I had eggs benedict, but only ate one with a very small amount of hollandaise. I had a small yogurt for lunch. we went to the movies in the afternoon, and I resisted the popcorn. So all-in-all I am pleased with myself. What the scale says however, is anyone's guess. Oh yes, I mixed my wine with sparkling water as well, so didn't feel any deprivation there.

Nikki

Edited by gubby

Hi everyone,

Nikki & Bunches - looks like you did well over Christmas. I had a leader once say that it was okay and realistic to go a little crazy for one meal over a holiday, but not to allow it to seep into the rest of the day or weekend.

I am doing as well as I can given the fact that my house is a total disaster area. My truly dear H is gutting & renovating our master bath,, and the mess is absolutely EVERYWHERE. Can't get into the dining room, bedroom is an absolute disaster, dust, crap everywhere. I did cook proper meals most of the last few days, but there was a bag of chips that somehow made it into the house, and I got some chocolates for Christmas so those have been around. That said, I was down 0.2 when I weighed in yesterday.

I'm still wearing the Active LInk and will finish the 8 day test early next week.

Hope the snow doesn't mess up your day, Bunches!

As I will not be able to get to a meeting for another 10 days, I keep trying my best to stay on track. Although I am over on my allowed points most days, I am not doing too badly. But I do know that once I get into the extras, it means a gain. This gain should not be too bad, but it was soo hard to lose it once and I have only myself to blame for putting it back on. I really need the reality of meetings and the next-best thing is to read this thread to see how others are doing. Congrats on the loss WaterBaby.

Nikki

We went out to Cracker Barrel for Chirstmas lunch and then Chinese food for supper. But I don't think I'm up. Won't make it to meeting this morning as dh didn't un bury my car while he was shoveling snow. Besides the roads are still really bad around here. DH went out last night for lottery tickets and said they were horrible. I missed meeting last week as well. I MUST go next week! As said before, must get on track as it was hard enough to lose it the "first" time!