Help with itinerary

Alaska_2012

The iteneary shown on HAL's website for our cruise and the one I just got with my reservation email do not match up.

One in email:

Day 1: Vancouver

Day 2: CRUISING INSIDE PASSAGE

Day 3: Tracy Arm

Day 4: Juneau

Day 5: Skagway

Day 6: Glacier Bay

Day 7: Ketchikan

Day 8: CRUISING INSIDE PASSAGE

Day 9: Vancouver

HAL's site:

Day Date Port Arrive Depart

0 30 Jun 2012 Vancouver, B.C., CA 05:00 PM

1 01 Jul 2012 Inside Passage CO

2 02 Jul 2012 Tracy Arm, Alaska, US CO

2 02 Jul 2012 Juneau, Alaska, US 01:00 PM 10:30 PM

3 03 Jul 2012 Skagway, Alaska, US 07:00 AM 09:00 PM

4 04 Jul 2012 Glacier Bay CO

5 05 Jul 2012 Ketchikan, Alaska, US 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

6 06 Jul 2012 Inside Passage CO

7 07 Jul 2012 Vancouver, B.C., CA 07:00 AM

Should I assume the port times will be the same? I am trying to reserve excursions and need the dates and times. Thanks!

Alaska 2012, I believe you are going on the same Zuiderdam cruise that we took this year. It is a 7-day cruise round-trip Vancouver. The morning of July 2 you will cruise Tracy Arm and then you go to Juneau in the afternoon (docked from 1-10:30pm), as CruiserBruce has said. Sometimes the port times can change a bit, though, so maybe give yourself some leeway with the excursions.

That's very helpful, DallasDizzyDi. I also wanted to tell you that your post imparticular on one of my other threads made me go ahead and book on the Zuiderdam. Thank you for your insight. Everyone here has been so helpful!! :)

Thank you and I am very glad I was able to help. I'm sure you'll have the time of your life in Alaska. It is spectacular! I took my first cruise there in 2009, to simply alleviate my curiosity, and I returned a different person. Nothing had ever grabbed my heart and soul the way Alaska did and I now understand why people go back again and again and again. I am now one of "them" :), the Alaska addicted. :D

Here's a video I made after my first trip. I hope it helps you see just a small slice of the awesome beauty that will surround you in the Great Land.

Thank you for the video, DDD! It is beautiful! I can hardly wait. Can you tell me which day Ketchikan is? July 5th. The "day 7" on the first itinerary is throwing me off! Thanks again for your help.

You'll be in Ketchikan on Thursday. Friday will be scenic cruising through the inside passage on the way back to Vancouver.

I would not book an independent tour too close to your docking time unless you are guarenteed a refund if your ship is late.

Also, if it is an excursion you really want to take, you might want to plan it a bit after the listed docking time. On my August cruise the docking time was not necessarily the time we could get off the ship. Also we were late arriving at Ketchikan by an hour and a half. Some people we met were very disappointed because they missed their bear flight to Anan because the permit was issued for a certain time frame. The vendor was able to substitute another bear viewing area, but it was not the experience they had hoped for.

Thanks for the advice, vbmom87. I have a Harv & Marv tour scheduled for 1:30 with a port time of 1:00 so maybe I should change it. I appreciate your help!

You might want to talk with Harv and Marv about it and see what they suggest. If they will be having all cruise ship passengers on your tour, they might be able to wait for you if the ship docks late.

Enjoy your cruise!!! You selected a great itinerary for a round trip!!! The inside passage is very scenic!!! Glacier Bay is awe-inspiring and Tracy Arm (with or without seeing a glacier there) is a magnificent fjord. For anyone with scenery as their priority, you can't beat this itinerary for a round trip!!!

That's so good to hear. I learned quicky here on CC I was making a mistake trying to book based on the ship and not the iternerary. Once I got my priorities straight the Zuiderdam hands down had the best itinerary for us. We can't wait to see the beauty of Alaska from her! :D

Some people we met were very disappointed because they missed their bear flight to Anan because the permit was issued for a certain time frame. The vendor was able to substitute another bear viewing area, but it was not the experience they had hoped for.

Though I don't know the specifics, this was merely an excuse. The permits for Anan are not for a certain time frame, only for a certain day (check the FS website to verify this if anyone wants). My guess is that it was more a scheduling issue with the floatplane operator and not the permit issue. If the operator would just tell the truth it wouldn't bother me, but giving false information like this does bother me! (and no, vbmom87, I don't mean YOU giving false information, you are just the messenger. I mean the tour operator).

Though I don't know the specifics, this was merely an excuse. The permits for Anan are not for a certain time frame, only for a certain day (check the FS website to verify this if anyone wants). My guess is that it was more a scheduling issue with the floatplane operator and not the permit issue. If the operator would just tell the truth it wouldn't bother me, but giving false information like this does bother me!

Thanks. Perhaps I misinterpreted what was told to me, or as you say, the vendor used that as an excuse because he had a later tour. Whatever the case, we were an hour and a half late getting to Ketchikan. I am quite sure this messed up a lot of tours.

I like this itinerary but am concerned that the ship might not be appropriate for us. We do not wish to dress up a lot and our sons are in their 20s. I have read reviews that says that this line caters to a more mature audience :o. Based solely on itinerary I would pick it.

I like this itinerary but am concerned that the ship might not be appropriate for us. We do not wish to dress up a lot and our sons are in their 20s. I have read reviews that says that this line caters to a more mature audience :o. Based solely on itinerary I would pick it.

I spent two weeks on the HAL Amsterdam this summer and we did not bring formal clothes. On formal nights we either ate in the Lido (buffet) or in the Canaletto (a free and very good alternative restaurant) which does not require that you dress up on formal night.

If you go early or late in the season you will find a more mature audience. However, if you go in the summer, you will find a wider spread of ages, but the majority will still be a bit older. Others who have cruised Alaska far more than my two times will tell you that the demographics for Alaska cruises tend to be similar on all lines. I am not speaking from personal experience, but from what the 'experts' report on this forum.

However, if you do not think HAL is for you, then try a line that works for your priorities. If interested in a one-way cruise, Princess has an excellent itinerary on its southbound cruise from Whittier to Vancouver. It goes to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

In the end you have to pick what works for you. I am one who cruises solely based on itinerary.

Archived