HELP from all the postive people

BEACHLOVER101

I second what kadiebug said about hotels and roaches in Florida. I doubt that there is a hotel in Florida, be it 1 star or 5 stars that has not seen a roach. This is a subtropical climate with moisture and heat. Hubby and I have shot many a wedding and prom at this hotel. Its a nice property, nice pool area, a pretty good size business clientel. You are close to an entertainment area containing a Long Horn, Sweet Tomatoes, an upscale sports bar/restaurant (can't think of the name), a Barnies Coffee (think its still there) and other stuff. You are at a good location, though not close to the beach.

As for September, if a hurrican comes, the ship will go in a different direction. Plus if you are out on the ship when the hurricane makes landfall, you make actually get a longer vacation by a day or two.

Positive attitudes are good. :)

Beachlover:

Don't sweat it! I was on the Caribbean Princess during September last year and we had an incredible time!!! Only had one day with rough weather and every day was perfect weather-wise. Sunny and warm! In fact, we were out there with Hurricane Jeanne and got a two-day extention :) The entire ship collectively hooted and hollored as that was announced. NO ONE wanted to go home anyway!!!

The food was great. Movies under the stars was so fun. The clubs at night were awesome. We met tons of great people from all over the place. If your family hates you after this, your family is too hard to please, trust me!!

We'll be on the Caribbean Princess in September 2005. Already booked it and can't wait!!! :D

You will have a great time.... we were on the CP last September 11-18, during which time there were 2 storms blowing around when we left, so we were changed from Western to Eastern.... before we made it to St. Thomas, there was a new storm blowing there, so we headed back west...had the best weather and seas in between all the storms... would have never known that there was even a drop of rain out there. The only bad thing... we basically made a big big circle in the middle of the ocean for 5 days before we could land somewhere and that turned out to be Montego Bay. (and that was not necessarily a bad thing..still had plenty of time to enjoy the ship, pools, food, etc.) The captain of your ship will do everything he can to keep the ship in good weather and seas.

Relax and go with whatever Mother Nature throws at you that week...you'll love it.

• 1 month later...

You have nothing to worry about regarding the weather on your cruise. We have cruised in Sept and Oct in the caribbean and it was really hot! Especially in St. Maartin.

As for the hotel, I find it hard to believe that a Marriott property would be as you described. If you find that it is not up to your standards, ask to speak with the General Manager to have things corrected. Who knows, they may wind up comping the room or moving you to a different hotel. Still, I have never stayed at a Marriott that was not up to higher standards.

Have fun!

Beachlover,

I'm so glad someone posted on this. I looked and looked when I got back from my cruise (April) and couldn't find the thread.

The Marriott North was gorgeous and spotless. One of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in. Not a bug in sight and the employees there were definitely some of the friendliest and nicest ever.

The on-site restaurant had a small but delicious buffet and there is a small nature trail on-site.

On the downside, it was a looooong walk to the off-site restaurants and I would never stay there again without a rental car (which we didn't have).

My mom and I stayed at the Marriott North last August and it was very clean and the food was very good. The only issue I had was that it was about 30 minutes away from the port. Using the Princess transfers we didn't arrive until 1:30pm, although admittedly at that time there were no lines and we were on-board the ship by 2pm. I'm sure you'll be fine and have an excellent time. I know we did, which is why we are on the CP leaving this Saturday (June 4)--very, very excited!

My mom and I stayed at the Marriott North last August and it was very clean and the food was very good. The only issue I had was that it was about 30 minutes away from the port. Using the Princess transfers we didn't arrive until 1:30pm, although admittedly at that time there were no lines and we were on-board the ship by 2pm. I'm sure you'll be fine and have an excellent time. I know we did, which is why we are on the CP leaving this Saturday (June 4)--very, very excited!

We were on the CP last August when hurricane Charley hit--you would have never known if you hadn't heard about it on the news! Never even saw a drop of rain--the only downside was we missed Princess Cays (tender couldn't dock), but in so saying we had one more excellent sea day!

Lets say some things do go wrong, you live with them and move on. As my mom always says when stuff happens " we are making memories" and that is true. We have the best time talking about that stuff cause that is what you remember and how well you handled it. We stayed(my DH and I) in a really bad hotel this year pre cruise and I could not wait to get home to tell everyone how bad it was cause it was so funny. It was a comedy of errors and one bad thing after another. Phone didn't work, door lock didn't work, bugs in the room, safe didn't work, pop machine didn't work, everything on the menu we wanted they didn't have. It ended up just hilarious. Just the make the best of it and make your own memories.

Hi..I am one who thinks that as long as a room steward is picking up my wet towels twice a day...making my bed.....cleaning up the cabin....as long as when I sit down to eat I have about 4-5 people catering to my every whim....and the food is magically appearing before me....as long as my big decision for the day is what to order for breakfast room service the next day..and what the drink of the day is which I will enjoy on my balcony before dinner each night....what is there to complain about.......I have been on 7 cruises and have loved them all...everything wasn't perfect..but what is in life???? and the things that were't perfect were really not all that important as I can't remember what they were!!!!...as for reviews....I go to tons of message and review board while planning a cruise or land trip......every ship I have booked either is dirty..smells...hard beds..soft beds...terrible service...not enough pool chairs...too many ports ...not enough ports..canceled shore excursions....rude staff.....not so great CD.....every ship.. I have booked..and every hotel room........to me all those things are not an issue.....yes I smelled desiel fuel when walking by one certain part of the NCL Wind..yes the Zuiderdam had some issues with cold food.....yes the NCL Sea was old and not glitzy....yes the Constellation was big.....we are now booked on the Grand and I am reading about all those problems again.....there are too many real serious probelms in the world to get upset over a smell....lifes too darn short....we went to St John in August one summer ..had wonderful weather....despite the things I read..we loved the Westin.....went to Coz one April..despite what I read we loved the Fiesta Americana......we went to Key West last summer and was there for Hurricane Charley..we did miss out on 2 days of snorkeling...but we also got to see Mallory Square with about 10 people ...us being 2 of them......and we got to walk up and down Duval Street with about 30 other people..and we did the Conch Train Tour with only one other family on board.....I agree that we pay a lot for vacations and should have a great time...but there are no gauranttes(sp) in life..that just the way it is....

You've gotten a lot of "feel good" posts and I just wanted to add my two cents worth. Excuse my shouting, however, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME! Start looking at all the positives and put those negative thoughts out of your head.

Have a great cruise! :) :) :) :) :)

Archived