Star Barong Fitness Center

Dibbadiane

I was wondering if anyone has knowledge (or can get the info during an upcoming cruise) regarding the fitness classes offered. I am specifically wondering what classes are typically offered, are classes offered more than once a day, which classes had surcharges (and how much), etc.. Any other additional information would be helpful.

It seems strange to me that this is even a concern but I have lost 40lbs over the last 8 months and want to have some plan about how counterbalance the typical cruise weight gain.

Thank you In advance.

We were on the star in May to the Mexican riviera...they had more classes on sea days (typical cycling, etc) and most were a $10 fee. I did not see many people signed up for any of them, so I don't think that was a big issue. There was an am stretch that was free (but that of course doesn't burn too many calories). there were plenty of treadmills but they face the wall. The stair/treadclimber/ellipticals face a different wall and it is almost impossible to see outside. They had exercise balls (the large ones, as well as kettlebells, etc) and a ton of free weights.

Hope this helps!

I won't be on the Star until April, but my experiences on the Dawn (sister ship) and Pearl were that they had pilates and spinning classes for an additional $10- at least one was offered each day, and sea days seemed to have both (one in the morning and one around 4:00 or 5:00). Also, when we were on the Dawn they had "personal trainer" packages... I don't remember how many times you got, or the exact cost, but I thought it sounded pretty cool. I think the minimum package was three times, but I might be wrong.

Congratulations on your weight loss! It's not an easy task!

First, congrats on your weightloss!

And second, about the pilates classes, does anyone know if they are done on the mat or on the pilates reformer machines?

I've become quite fond of my weekly pilates reformer classes and would pay to take them on the ship when I go in 2 weeks!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Zumba would be awesome but I am thinking we might both dreaming on that one. Too bad you are not going 1/1/12 we could have brought some songs and tried to do an impromptu class or maybe I can stuff one of my instructors in my carry-on bag.

Thanks for all of the info from everyone and the encouragement about my weight loss.

I can tolerate spin class, don't really love it, but I can do it. I am also pretty sure that my personal trainer at home and I can come up with some stuff I can do to supplement any cardio.

Belizegal...are you from Belize?

• 3 weeks later...
Zumba would be awesome but I am thinking we might both dreaming on that one. Too bad you are not going 1/1/12 we could have brought some songs and tried to do an impromptu class or maybe I can stuff one of my instructors in my carry-on bag.

Thanks for all of the info from everyone and the encouragement about my weight loss.

I can tolerate spin class, don't really love it, but I can do it. I am also pretty sure that my personal trainer at home and I can come up with some stuff I can do to supplement any cardio.

Belizegal...are you from Belize?

Hi Dibbadiane

I wish!!! Chicago area is home, I just love Belize!!

• 1 month later...

The equipment is available for use without charge. The hours could vary by ship but on the Sun in January I believe it opened at 6am but the treadmills could not be used prior to 8am. There were no Zumba classes offered on our cruise. Not sure if there is an age limit. Our DS was 18 and would go in and work out a couple times a day but I'm sure if a parent is present that a 14 year old would be able to use the equipment.

I guess we will soon find out on our own!!!!

My experience on all NCL ships is that the enforcement of any kind of "rules" in the gym is completely lax. I have seen children as young as 6 or 7 hanging on a treadmill next to the mother wearing flip flops and trying to start the machine (that one caused me to write a letter to corporate). The same kid was all over the gym trying all the balls and hand held weights while the mother continued to workout.

I have seen people of all ages wearing slippers or flip flops in the gym. I've even seen some old people take the flip flops off and going barefooted around the gym. The list goes on and on....

The one thing I can tell you is that a well behaved teen or even pre-teen will go virtually unnoticed in an NCL gym...with or without a parent. Although officially I have seen a sign once that said 16 and over.....yes that was the same gym where the seven year old was on the treadmill....... go figure.

Archived