How often does Grand Cayman get skipped?

Cruising Erin

We are 1 for 1. Memory seems to tell me is a fairly protected harbor, just not a big pier for docking. I'd guess, but anyone is free to argue or point out any falicy, but I'm guessing unless there is a "named" storm, you will make it.

I missed it 1 time out of maybe 12 or 13. However, I almost never get off the ship in GC anymore because it is a tender port and I don't really like to tender and the huge crowds at the tender dock are completely unorganized.

The harbor is not at all protected and weather can come up there really quick. That's what kind of put me off tendering. We were on shore when a storm came up and between the ship pitching and the tender pitching they had to litterally yank people off the tender up onto the steps. I had bruised hand prints on both of my arms for more than a week.

Haven't missed it in about 7 tries, but the last time (in 2009) we had to reposition and tender in at Spotts. Not great, but at least we made it onto the island. Unfortunately, we all had to pay for taxi's to town AND it was so windy (albeit sunny and 80) that there were no water activites all day. Everything was cancelled, so we just went to Hell and shopped around, had a few drinks and headed back to the ship. In hindsight, I wish we would have rented a car and toured the island (which I've done previously), but we were so grumpy about our excursions being cancelled, having to pay extra to get to town and being too windy to get into that beautiful water, that we just decided to Make do with what was there.

Archived