When in port, can you take alcohol OFF the ship?

wife2b

True enough. The only time we were not to happy with that was in St. Croix. After donner they had all local vendors at the end of the pier. Walking down to the end of the ents and tables set up, I def. got a bad vibe so we rounded up the kids (they were younger and smaller back then) and headed back to the safety of the ship. Sailing in winter months gives you more of an opportunity for this type of activity (meaning the nice side not the bad experience) of being on shore after dark.

Why would you get a "bad vibe"? These "Port Night" activities are usually sponsored by the local chamber of commerce and port authority for the express purpose of giving tourists the best possible impression of the island they can't otherwise get because everything is closed. Did the crowd just feel "off" to you? (I ask out of curiousity. You would think something like that would feel very secure. I'm not second-guessing you.)

To the OP we always bring liquor off the ship to take to the beach .I bring 2 sports bottles one for soda and one with rum or whatever were drinking and put it in my backpack with towels and stuff .Never had an issue maybe because we use sports bottles

Why would you get a "bad vibe"? These "Port Night" activities are usually sponsored by the local chamber of commerce and port authority for the express purpose of giving tourists the best possible impression of the island they can't otherwise get because everything is closed. Did the crowd just feel "off" to you? (I ask out of curiousity. You would think something like that would feel very secure. I'm not second-guessing you.)

As a genreal rule I agree, and I love interaction with locals when we cruise (as well as other types of travel) . I can't put anything concrete to it other than as we worked our way down to the end of the long row it certainly did feel "off" as you put it. We travel a fair amount and it happened one other time in Rio.

There was other people around and although I did not see security I am sure they were present. Just one of those things.

Archived