Buying Cigarettes on the ship -- please help

FlaGrl4Evr

We always buythe 5 cartons and take them to our room and take them off the ship. No problem But in Alaska we had to buy them at a store in town and they delivered them to the ship. It was of coourse on another ship not carnival.

The one carton limit is a customs regulation. It has been that way for as long as I can remember. The ship will sell you as much as you want to buy. They are just notifying you that customs only allows one carton per passenger over 18 to be re-imported into the USA. Customs rules do not allow for payment of duty for overage, any extra is subject to confiscation.

These are the rules as written in the CBP "Know Before You Go" publication (see page 19). Usually customs doesn't bother people but it is always a possibility.

You can buy as many as you want, but you will have to pay 'duty' on anything over 200 cigs (1 carton) per adult....the last two cruises we took, we bought the Marlboro suitcase, smoked about 1 carton, allowed 1 carton each thru customs and had to pay duty on the remaining 2 cartons ($10 each)...still a great deal....We've never heard of a 'limit' or 'consfication' rule....

X-rays disembarking??? :eek:

Really??

Don't recall that.

Hello, they use dogs not x-ray on debarkation.

If you go to any US Virgin Island you are allowed to bring 5 cartons per person back to the USA.

If your going to St Thomas they have a great tobacco shop (blue building) right in the port area. Five cartons for $99. Just make sure you keep your receipt.

I was talking about at the airport for me anyways since I have to go thru customs twice :p

Is the one carton limit something new? I sailed last November and purchased four cartons - with no problem taking off the three (plus) cartons at debark. I think I even recall being told at the time of purchase that multiple cartons were no problem. Has this changed? I'm sailing the Conquest again in November and was counting on purchasing a few cartons.

Please Read This:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/53/kw/cigarette%20limit/sno/1

A traveler may include up to 100 cigars and 200 cigarettes in the $800 exemption from duty. U.S. residents on State Department-licensed travel to Cuba may not bring cigars or other goods back with them from their visit.

Additional cigars and cigarettes may be brought into the country, but they will be subject to duty and taxes. Cigarettes may also be subject to a tax imposed by state and local authorities. Bidis - essentially flavored cigarettes - are not generally permitted entry. For pipe/loose tobacco products, contact the port of entry directly.

Once every 31 days, a resident returning from travel from American Samoa, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), or the Virgin Islands of the United States may import 1,000 cigarettes (5 cartons), not more than 200 of which acquired elsewhere than in such locations, within the returning resident's $1,600 exemption from duty and taxes.

For example, you can buy one carton on the ship, four cartons have to be purchased on one of the Virgin Islands.

You can buy as many as you want, but you will have to pay 'duty' on anything over 200 cigs (1 carton) per adult....the last two cruises we took, we bought the Marlboro suitcase, smoked about 1 carton, allowed 1 carton each thru customs and had to pay duty on the remaining 2 cartons ($10 each)...still a great deal....We've never heard of a 'limit' or 'consfication' rule....

I'm happy to provide the links but I cant make you read them. ;)

On Pride there were signs stating that customs allows 1 carton per person. The gift shop employee stated that sometimes you get taxed sometimes not. Boyfriend bought the 5 carton deal ($108 Marlboro reds) and declared them for customs, no tax and they were not confiscated. I think if you just try to "smuggle" them and you get searched they may confiscate without offering to tax you.

On Pride there were signs stating that customs allows 1 carton per person. The gift shop employee stated that sometimes you get taxed sometimes not. Boyfriend bought the 5 carton deal ($108 Marlboro reds) and declared them for customs, no tax and they were not confiscated. I think if you just try to "smuggle" them and you get searched they may confiscate without offering to tax you.

I spoke to a cruiser on one of the ships and she stated that they got "caught" by customs coming home from a cruise and the customs official cut their cartons up right in front of them....they didn't have the option of paying the duties at that point. She asked them why they couldn't just give the cigarettes to someone who smoked but the person told her they had to be cut up in front of the "offender" (my word) :(

Archived