1st time cruiser

soobs

Hi

We are off on the WB TA on 12.12.11 and are wondering if the upgrade fairy waves her wand around us do we want an upgrade?

We are booked in a B2, we are not worried out sea sickness as we are going to take tablets for first couple of days but would want to be in the best part of the ship to avoid sickness. I believe the place to be is mid ship and mid deck?

We upgraded and paid a bit extra to get B2 otherwise we would have been on deck 8 with the life boat and didnt want that for our first cruise. We were suprised when a B2 took us down decks rather than up but don't think it works that way.

Any other tips you experts can give us or must do's while on board let us have them we cannot wait, no issues with dress code, dresses are all ready to be packed alsong with the tux and the black suit.

I hope your B2 reservation is maked "do not upgrade" because deck 8 with the A4 obstructed staterooms would, in Cunard's defination, be an "upgrade". Many people prefer the sheltered B balconies especially on a winter TA.

A ship's motion is like a see-saw: lower and closer to the middle and there's less movement.

thanks for the reply

We paid for an upgrade which was from A4 to a B2 to avoid deck 8 and obstructed views. We didn't ask them not to upgrade us whoops.

So really we need to stay in our B2 and be as central as possible on the ship as an upgrade to a higher deck will not be as stable as decks 5 or 6 which is where the B2's are?

Make sure you arrive early for afternoon tea in the Queens Room. Then you'll definitely get a seat.

Pack your swimmers, the pool on deck 8 is heated and it's wonderful to sit in the hot-tubs on deck eight and look out over the wake of the ship.

web.jpg?ver=13066883880001

The Canyon Ranch spa is nice, but the massages are very expensive and no different to a less expensive massage on land. On the upside you get the use of the spa and pool area in the Canyon Ranch spa if you purchase a massage.

We had great manicures whilst on board and thought they were very reasonably priced. My partner had a haircut and was very impressed.

The soda card doesn't include coffee - not sure if that's an issue for you. The alcohol is reasonably priced.

The laundry service onboard is excellent and reasonably priced. Don't bother using the free laundries on board. On the second last (or last night) they will offer a special discount and do a bag for around $30.

Check your daily program. There are fun things to do that you'll miss if you're not careful. We did bingo in the Queens room but only because another guest told us about it.

The shows are very enjoyable. We only managed to see one but enjoyed it very much. Tip - using your hands to make opera-glasses doesn't work (even when you're drunk :) )

web.jpg?ver=13066873010001

Walk around deck 7 three times after each meal - you'll feel better for it.

web.jpg?ver=13066796580001

web.jpg?ver=13066783780001

Visit the Commodore Club and watch the bow of the ship punch through the ocean.

web.jpg?ver=13066763390001

whats all this me, me, me, whitemarsh.

Seiously, though, thanks for the info re the pool, there is very little on Cunards site about these, do you mean the large pool is heated, not just the whirlpools?

Will be on board tomorrow, 16th. for our first voyage on the QM, and our first TA.

Sorry to disappoint you but A4 is several grades above a B2 although imho B2 is a much better cabin and is in a better position on board.

Yes, but I've noticed recently that Cunard seem to be now charging less for A4's than for grade B cabins. Here are some price comparisons for some of the QM2 NE cruises next year:

A4 = £2,149. B3 = £2,349

A4 = £3,029. B3 = £3,329

A4 = £1,869. B5 = £1,929

A4 = £2,429, B4 £2,539

whats all this me, me, me, whitemarsh.

Are you referring to Apple's MobileMe gallery? If so, it's the name of the website.

If not, get in line. :)

Seiously, though, thanks for the info re the pool, there is very little on Cunards site about these, do you mean the large pool is heated, not just the whirlpools?

Will be on board tomorrow, 16th. for our first voyage on the QM, and our first TA.

The whirlpools, hot tubs or spas, are all heated as is the main pool on deck 8. So is the hot tub on deck 11 (Grills only). They're the only places I swam so I can confirm they're heated. I imagine the other pools are heated as well, makes sense that they would be.

Archived