The Dress- What he thinks???

Hi Ladies, this is not a cruise question but one I am wondering about.I just read this article in Glamour about what men think abnout wedding dresses. I am doing a vow renewal ( 20 yrs). He was in the Marines and we were very young when we got married so eloped and did a simple Justice of the Peace wedding, 5 people , no party, no wedding dress. So our renewal will be something special, whole family cruising with us. My dress is very important to me, but I don't know if I should ask his opinion or not. I want it to be a huge surprise to him. I want to see that WOW look on his face. Are any of you asking your groom what he would like to see in a wedding dress?

I did ask my future hubby about what type of dress he liked. He told me he didn't want to see me in sleeves and would prefer strapless. :eek: I wasn't comfortable with my upper arms and he loved my arms. I got a strapless dress and he loved it (and so did I once I saw the pictures).

My parents did a renewal of vows and she didn't let him see the dress. It was the same thing for them... they eloped and had no one there except for a witness they didn't know. The renewal of vows was beautiful (with family on an Alaskan cruise - 25 years).

Best of luck in your decision. I wouldn't necessarily show him what you are thinking of buying, but maybe get his input based on a few pictures you show him... ask what he thinks of the waste of one, the sleeves or no sleeves of another, the waist down portion on others. You get the idea. Good luck! :o

I asked him to give me an idea. He said he saw me wearing a dress, not a gown. Nothing fancy and he'd probably laugh at me if I was in a big poofy gown (I am not really a girly girl). He did say he wanted me in a strapless dress, but I had surgery on my shoulder a few years ago and hate the scars and the face that you can tell the bone is missing now because there's a huge dip in my shoulder. So I did buy a dress that had sleeves but not huge sleeves and I doubt he'll remember his sleeveless request when he sees me in it. :)

I asked for ideas... and he gave me a few suggestions. Then he asked for some sites so he could point out things he liked and didn't like.

We had both been married before. His was more or a few family members a courthouse type environment. Mine was a big whoopdido where I knew no one and my parents invited 1/2 the state of CA.... so it seemed.

I wanted to get married in a t-shirt and jeans (or something very casual) but he wanted the 'formal' attire. The dress was more for him than it was for me so his input really mattered to me.

As it turned out we both got our wish. With all the screw ups for our cruise ship wedding, it turns out it wasn't legal, no one knew though and we didn't find out right away... don't want to go there. So we had the symbolic formal wedding with close friends and family and we made it legal in NFL jerseys and jeans! best of both worlds...

Sorry if this is a little dirty but my FI loves the idea of me in a wedding dress in "that" way. He can't wait to "take advantage" of me in my dress.

Cue the music: "bom shicka bom bom". LOL!

Well to the OP, I don't think my FH has an opinion. I am much more formal than him anyway.

Well for me my hubby went with me to try dresses on.. lol And he wants me to be there when he picks out his suit cuz it's all what I decided.. lol I know I should had someone there different then him when I was trying on and purchase the dress but hey he wanted to pick it out and make sure it's not all tacky and shows my curves.. lol so silly of him but I know by the time the wedding comes he will forget what it even looked like.. ;)

If you want it to be a suprise then let it be a suprise. It's such a magical thing watching the groom when the bride first walks in. I think you should suprise him. Plus, it's so much fun going to the bridal shop with you mom and bridesmaids to pick out dresses!!

With mine, my FI and I looked at dresses together on the internet. He told me what things he liked and what he didn't. (although it didn't help... he hated the lace dresses and mine is completely lace.. lol)

Poor fiance has suffered through many episodes of say yes to the dress. So I had an inkling of what he liked or disliked. But he has no idea what my dress is like and even when I ask does he want to see a picture of it, he refuses! I do not keep surprises or secrets well... I get too excited. :P

Poor fiance has suffered through many episodes of say yes to the dress. So I had an inkling of what he liked or disliked. But he has no idea what my dress is like and even when I ask does he want to see a picture of it, he refuses! I do not keep surprises or secrets well... I get too excited. :P

OMG I am addicted to that show. Good idea to make him watch with me. I DVR so he doesn't have to watch, but I think he will have to now hehe Thanks. I am also thinking of going through some pictures with him. I think he prob would like to see me in something more form fitting, I know he does in regular clothes. I just don't know if that carries over to a wedding dress.

Haha, I did that to my husband too...and I still do. ;)

Archived