When do you arrive at the port?

delta13

IIRC, I've found that the only drawback to boarding as early as possible is that the cabins usually aren't ready for occupancy until 1pm or so, so that means schlepping carryons for an hour or so.

Agreed that cabins not being ready is a drawback ... but for us, it is the only drawback. We are usually 1) so excited to begin the vacation, and 2) we've paid for that 1st day that we prefer to be at the pier and onboard as soon as administratively possible (assuming no delays in the check-in process or some such).

Michael and Silke

My family like to get to the pier as early as possible as well. My mom uses a cane and we tend to have less crowds when there early. Ealiest been dropped off was 9am due to family work schedules( and of course had to wait till 11) and lastest was around 12:30pm and walked right on. We like getting on board and start relaxing. The last couple of times I have checked everything but a small, light carry-on so it wasn't a hassle to carry around since cabins are not ready till 1pm and it worked great. Being diamond +, our luggage is usually at our cabin shortly after lunch anyways.

Tina

We arrive at the port as early as possible. Sometimes 9:00am or earlier if it is a warm location (like Miami). We like to check out the ship a bit and watch the unloading and loading. Drop off the luggage earlier to. Used to have theory that as carts filled up they were staged in order of filling so perhaps luggage would get to cabin sooner - but that's only worked about 50/50 so far. We check our airline carryons and carry onto the ship small backpacks with essentials.

For actual check-in we do that early as the counters open and since wife has her wheelchair we always get shunted to the wheelchair counter and then pre-boarded (like on airline). Often before even the photographers are set up.

On Radiance class we head to WJ but for next one we plan to go to Promenade Cafe and watch people gawk at the Promenade space.

Around 10:30!

The first time we cruised we flew in the day of the cruise. Got on the ship around 3:00 wearing our RI turtlenecks, socks, and fleece jackets. Took a look at all of the people on the pool deck in their bathing suits and 3 beers into their vacation and said to each other- we blew it!

Always fly in the day before and always at the port bright and early!

IIRC, I've found that the only drawback to boarding as early as possible is that the cabins usually aren't ready for occupancy until 1pm or so, so that means schlepping carryons for an hour or so.

That carry on fits nicely under the pool chair as you soak up the sun by the pool and watch the newbies explore the ship.

The first time we cruised we flew in the day of the cruise. Got on the ship around 3:00 wearing our RI turtlenecks, socks, and fleece jackets. Took a look at all of the people on the pool deck in their bathing suits and 3 beers into their vacation and said to each other- we blew it!

Funny, but understandable image.

We don't leave PR until 8:30pm i think. Does anyone know what time you can get on the ship?

We boarded at 11am for 8:30pm departure. A lot of people boarded early and stowed their gear then left for touring OSJ. We just explored the ship and toured the spa/fitness center. Also changed a Portofino reservation. It was really nice being able to orient to the ship before sailaway and night departure was amazing.

We are cruising the end of February on FOS, we are arriving into Port Canaveral the day before. Since were planning on leaving the wind, snow and rain here in Pittsburgh the 20yo are planning on wearing shorts and flip flops to the air port. Im thinking their going to get some looks. :)

My cruise is leaving from Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale so I am staying with friends in Boca for the Thanksgiving holiday. They live 30-40 minutes from the pier so I have it pretty easy this time. I will plan to arrive around 11-11:30am. Last cruise we went to Miami - which is about an hourr away, arrived about 11:30 and there were masses of people all with the same

idea.

Will never travel from Miami again. A real madhouse only made worse by the incompetent Miami pier staff (Not the RCCL crew) who actually work for the

Port of Miami/. Acted like they never boarded a ship before. Utter chaos!

We were in a suite and C&A Diamond and I asked 1 of the crew where the

Priority waiting was and she said "we do not have any kind of priority boarding here, everyone is the same" and walked away. Someone overheard me (another passenger) and said "we are Diamond Plus and what's going on in this port. Diamond always gets Priority." When we started getting loud

and more and more heard our anger they made an announcement that they

were boarding suites and C&A platinum and above first. (THEN the crowd starts groaning and moaning like we thought we were special).

I have travelled from Fort Lauderdale, Los Angeles & NYC and have never

seen such chaos and craziness at a port like I saw at Miami.

if you are travelling from Miami, get there as early as possible. Any other

ports 11am-11:30 is good. Sometimes you can get to your cabin before 1pm,

It really depends on how soon your cabin was vacated the previous sailing and how quickly your cabin was prepared. i think they say 1pm as that the latest the cabin stewards are told that the cabin has to be prepared by. Once I arrived at 12:15pm and the steward had finished the cabin but was still vacuuming. I just waited a few minutes and she was done. Another time it was maybe 12:45pm and the cabin was not done and I told the steward that I wanted to drop off my bag in the closet and asked her to please lock the door when she was done. I have never had an issue with getting there earlier than 1pm,

We are leaving out of Puerto Rico and a member of our party wants to know, if you can get back off the ship once you are checked in?

Or if they want to spend more of the day exploring Puerto Rico – do they need to wait and check in after they are done sight seeing?

Thanks!!

if you can get back off the ship once you are checked in?

We saw people do this. Checked their luggage in and got sea pass then checked back out to go sightsee.

On caution, expecially for Old San Juan - the streets can become utterly gridlocked and while it is not far distance wise to Pan Am Pier it can take a long time to get out of the core of OSJ and to roads that are less congested. The taxi drivers know all the tricks but sometimes it can take a half hour to go a few blocks. Allow LOTS of time on top of planning to be back onboard a couple hours ahead of sailing time. Check when leaving ship when the time limit is for being onboard (90 minutes?) and then cushion that plenty.

Archived