Roll Call - Silver Cloud April 17, 2012 Monte Carlo - Monte Carlo

Emtbsam

To anyone recently on Cloud: what is the condition of the ship. When was it last upgraded and when will it next be in drydock. Anything to report on quality of cuisine? Thanks.

Hi Jeffkauf,

Yes - we returned from a 9 day on the Cloud Jan. 16th. I can happily report that while the drydock (now scheduled I believe for late October or early November) is long overdue, the ship is in excellent condition overall. Where I saw the most need for work is the fabrics...drapes, chairs, sofas, carpeting. If they update the decor to a more current look it will help. Also, there were areas where it seems that they could add insulation and re-seal some things, to reduce odors and vibration in a few spots. From a service/cleanliness/functionality perspective, the ship operates beautifully. We have been on this and the Whisper, and they are both wonderful for their own reasons. I hope this helps. Have a great trip!

To anyone recently on Cloud: what is the condition of the ship. When was it last upgraded and when will it next be in drydock. Anything to report on quality of cuisine? Thanks.

Notes on food: Excellent overall. We paired up with another couple and were able to enjoy dinner at La Terrazza 4 nights of our trip. That was our favorite venue as it is more intimate and dimly lit than the Restaurant. I am not a duck fan but tried the Papardelle with duck ragout....ended up ordering it all 4 nights as a course. Also the beef carpaccio was the thinnest and best tasting version my wife has ever had.

A must-do is dining under the stars. We did this the last night of the trip (reservations are required) with another couple and loved it. Basically a simple steaks/chops grille menu. The chef grills the meats on the pool grill and the other accompaniments are brought from the pool kitchen adjacent. I had a perfect NY strip and my wife a nice tenderloin steak. The sauces were nice also.

For breakfast, if you like eggs benedict, be sure to ask for extra hollandaise. Their small chocolate croissants are delicious as well. We had breakfast delivered most mornings.

Happy dining!

Hello, We are Jeff and Lisa sailing on same cruise, we are very active cruisers in our 50's

I have been in Firenze last year and would like to make a group to hire a private driver to visit Firenze on 19th April and Lucca and cities around on the second day, I have the driver but not the group so if you want to join...

Same thing for Roma, last year we used a very nice driver and he agree to charge 50 Euros to take us from the harbor and to make us visit Roma or drop us in shopping places or to visit any place around,and back to the ship I will receive any suggestions happily, the price is for 6/8 persons

If you have some others tours to share in any place, that would be great, see you soon, pomponnette

Hi, Victoria. We haven't yet made our hotel reservation in Nice, though we'd better do it soon! We'll only be there one night, so wondered if it would be best to book a hotel near the airport. A lot of the transportation to Monte Carlo seems to leave from the airport. We would then take a taxi into Nice for the day. Do those of you who've transferred from Nice to Monte Carlo before think that's a good plan?

We would also like to take private transportation to and from Florence. Maybe you, Dieter and Debbie, and we could share a van. We plan to go to the Uffici Gallery and otherwise just wander around the town center.

My husband and I might be interested in doing Florence and getting a skip the line pass for Uffizi and to see David at the Academia as well.

we may be interested in the transportation to Florence,

also, we found a tour for the Rome day.

Bogey, let us know if you want the details of that tour that is roman castles and tivoli, a full day

Hi Can I get details on your roman Castles and Tivoli and can we join? Lisa and Jeff

We were thinking of taking the train on the 1st day but might be open to shared transportation. We are active adults as well and want to explore on foot and make sure we have plenty of time at the Uffizi.

We would be glad to share a transportation for Livorno to Firenze, Lisa and Jeff

A private van w.6 people is $113/per person;with 8 people $89pp.Interested?

Hi weretire, I don't want to be offensive with you, I used a private company last year on previous cruise and they charge 500 euros to go and back for 6 /8 persons sound cheaper and reliable too, Lisa

We went on some ports of calls last year and we used a private driver with air conditioning mini bus in Civittavecchia , he will charge us 50 euros pp to take us and back to Roma if we are 6/8 persons with all day visit of the city, Vatican included, the driver is charming and speaks fluent english and he is very nice he can drive us wherever we want if you have a special itinerary, Lisa

Hi weretire, I don't want to be offensive with you, I used a private company last year on previous cruise and they charge 500 euros to go and back for 6 /8 persons sound cheaper and reliable too, Lisa

That equates to $112 a piece for 6ppl. not much difference but be that as it may. Just looking for the best price for reliable transportation to and from Florence. May still do the train though.

That equates to $112 a piece for 6ppl. not much difference but be that as it may. Just looking for the best price for reliable transportation to and from Florence. May still do the train though.

Have not considered the train. Is the train station in Livorno within walking distance of the pier? Do you know how long it takes to get to Florence? I wonder when the last train at night is. I'll see what I can dig up on the net.

We are even considering spending the night in Florence since we've never been there before.

to bogey ,pomponnette, and others interested in a tour at Rome port. Civitavecchia.

this is a nine hour tour, cost 650 euros for up to 7 people

trip to Tivoli to see Hadrian's villa and villa d'Este. with many gardens, fountains,etc.

Lunch at La Sibilla, walk through town, shopping

lunch and admissions extra.

if you have other questions it may be better to email us at davidbdo@aol.com and i can give additional details.

We have used Romecabs (add a .com), who do excellent transportation and tours. They have an outstanding Civitavecchia to Civitavecchia Rome tour, all day, 600 Euro for 8 people. Thorough description on their web site. They respond to online inquiries very quickly. We are checking whether they can arrange a tour of Ostia Antica for us instead of Rome.

Silversea web site now offers an all day Rome bus tour with about four hours of independent time for in-transit passengers on this cruise for $189. They also now offer tickets to the Uffizi and Academia in Florence for $39 each.

We have used Romecabs (add a .com), who do excellent transportation and tours. They have an outstanding Civitavecchia to Civitavecchia Rome tour, all day, 600 Euro for 8 people. Thorough description on their web site. They respond to online inquiries very quickly. We are checking whether they can arrange a tour of Ostia Antica for us instead of Rome.

Silversea web site now offers an all day Rome bus tour with about four hours of independent time for in-transit passengers on this cruise for $189. They also now offer tickets to the Uffizi and Academia in Florence for $39 each.

When I looked at getting tickets to the Uffizi on line, I needed to specify a time of arrival. I wonder whether the SS tickets have the same restriction.

Have not considered the train. Is the train station in Livorno within walking distance of the pier? Do you know how long it takes to get to Florence? I wonder when the last train at night is. I'll see what I can dig up on the net.

We are even considering spending the night in Florence since we've never been there before.

the train station requires a taxi ride or a bus,we'll opt for taxi . the trains run every hour but I don't know til what time.the trip is just under an hour and a half. :)

Hi, here is the name of the company that we've already used last year for a complete and wonderful tour in Roma, this year we would prefer to visit the country and villages around Roma , you can check this company itinerary on the web: you can copy the following and paste it : *****.it and choose the english link, if one or two couples like any of the tour we will be happy to join, the tour are really cheap and the driver is very welcoming and also a good driver, Lisa

We are interested in either a hotel, B & B or rental apartment in Nice for four nights pre-cruise. In the past, we've stayed in the Palais Maeterlinck just outside of Nice and the Chateau de la Chevre d'Or in Eze. This time, we want to be in Nice proper. Any suggestions?

The above mention Hotel Suisse is a nice little hotel, but ... quite noisy since it is located directly at the end of the Promenade with traffic round the clock. Same location, but on top of the hill and much more quiet: The La Perouse! Next to Vieux Nice and with a stunning view of the Bay.

Smaller, and smack downtown: The Windsor Hotel.

The flagship of hotels, the beautiful NEGRESCO just underwent a multi-million Euro renovation and is more stunning than ever.

Unfortunately, the Palais Maeterlinck has been closed as a hotel, but check the Palais Mediterranée on the Promenade des Anglais - it is one of the three 5-star hotels in Nice.

My favorite decoration wise and nicely located at the tree-lined Boulevard Victor Hugo: The Boscolo EXEDRA.

Archived