Could I be involuntarily moved to another stateroom?

wife2b

how were you able to book this room?

(Original question was re: how a party of 2 manages to book a triple or quad in the first place)

Cruiselines have a lot of data regarding which sailings sell out and which do not. If historically a given sail date is not expected to sell out, they will allow 2 people to book a triple or quad. If you spend enough time in a booking engine, you can see this for yourself. On historically more popular sailings, that are likely to sell out, this is not permitted, and if you put into the booking engine you are a party of 2 it will not show you open triples or quads.

Fair enough, but I've been on this board a long time, and as billie5 stated there HAVE been multiple reports here by folks being bumped out of their 2 person cabins. I can't say if the posters were reporting accurately, but it was definitely getting reported here.

I haven't seen any lately, but I am not as certain as you that it doesn't happen.

I have been on this board since 2006 and am platinum on Carnival;) Regardless there is more to his story also...being told in the VIP that he was upgraded to a balcony cabin from oceanview? Not bumped .....who would turn that down:confused: LOL!

Anyway for any newbie that books just put a note in your booking that you do not want to be moved....you won't as long as you are 2 people in a 2 capacity cabin;) Rest assured.....

On a couple of our cruises we are booked (two of us) in a cabin that sleeps 4. I was told by the Carnival booking agent when I called that if the cabin was needed for someone that was booking for 4 people then we could possibly be moved to another room.

how were you able to book this room?

I was booked solo on the Dream and during a call was told that I could be moved if the cabin was needed. It would have been interesting, especially considering how much I paid for the cabin, where they would have moved me. Glad that they didn't.

1391CarnivalDream.jpg

Carnival Dream Ocean View

A group doesn't and they can't move you unless they contact you first and get the ok

I am sorry iTouch, but you are wrong (but I still like your name). I've been a CC member for 9 years and have read a number of posts over the years from disconsolate members. Believe me, they gave no permission. The cruise line retains this right -- nothing you can do about it.

Unless all these people were lying, you are, I am afraid, just incorrect.:cool:

Bill

Not sure if this is directed to me- I completely agree with you. We are not booked in an HC room & would never do so if we didn't need to.

Since you did not book a HC cabin my post was not directed towards you. Thank you for your consideration wife2b!!!

I just wanted people to know that some of those balcony cabins with the extended balconies are designed for handicapped and shouldn't be booked unless they need the special adaptations these cabins have. Some people are thoughtless and would do anything to get a extended balcony.

I am sorry iTouch, but you are wrong (but I still like your name). I've been a CC member for 9 years and have read a number of posts over the years from disconsolate members. Believe me, they gave no permission. The cruise line retains this right -- nothing you can do about it.

Unless all these people were lying, you are, I am afraid, just incorrect.:cool:

Bill

I'm not wrong;)

If you choose a cabin for 2 I thought Carnival could upgrade you to a higher category if they needed your cabin unless you specifically stated no upgrades?

Upgrade from one twin cabin to a different twin cabin higher deck or even ocean view to balcony etc may not be classed as an upgrade to some especially if they are moved from near Mid ship to far Aft/ forward and only wanted to be close to mid ship.

Some late bookers are hanging for a cheaper price and carnival want to fill all cabins ASAP so it stands to reason carnival may give an early booker the upgrade and more expensive cabin over the late booker weather they like the change or not because it is an upgrade.

When I booked my ES long balcony L shaped cabin on the Splendor for next year it was classed as premium balcony on the booking engine but same category and price as standard balcony?

If they moved me to a balcony on a higher deck then i have no complaints but i cant see them moving me to another balcony same category same deck unless the one i chose had availability for 3rd person or inter connecting doors?

I think most twin for twin cabin changes would have involved an upgrade of sorts.

Den

Bummer, I had no idea :( Well, fingers crossed!

Thanks for the responses :)

We booked with a PVP for a porthole-2 of us but holds 4. The size of the cabin and holds 4 was discussed and it was never mentioned about the possibility of being moved and it was important to us since we booked with another couple right across the way who also booked a porthole, holds 4, but only two of them. Found out on CC that we could be moved, just like you have. CC is never a place to get much support, as most told me I should have read everything-still not quite sure what or where everything is to read nor do I know of many that would even read everything. I am going to start a thread on 'Do you read all things,like everything on cruise rules?'

I will show you an example of why I think most do not.

If you choose a cabin for 2 I thought Carnival could upgrade you to a higher category if they needed your cabin unless you specifically stated no upgrades?

Upgrade from one twin cabin to a different twin cabin higher deck or even ocean view to balcony etc may not be classed as an upgrade to some especially if they are moved from near Mid ship to far Aft/ forward and only wanted to be close to mid ship.

Some late bookers are hanging for a cheaper price and carnival want to fill all cabins ASAP so it stands to reason carnival may give an early booker the upgrade and more expensive cabin over the late booker weather they like the change or not because it is an upgrade.

When I booked my ES long balcony L shaped cabin on the Splendor for next year it was classed as premium balcony on the booking engine but same category and price as standard balcony?

If they moved me to a balcony on a higher deck then i have no complaints but i cant see them moving me to another balcony same category same deck unless the one i chose had availability for 3rd person or inter connecting doors?

I think most twin for twin cabin changes would have involved an upgrade of sorts.

Den

This is correct......upgrade not bumped to a different cabin in the same category.......that is the big difference that some are confused about......and it is also correct if you state you do not want to be moved they will not offer an upgrade.

I'm not wrong;)

Well, I suppose all those people over the years could have been lying. You know, trolls.

iTouch is correct, however, that upgrading is a whole different matter than being reassigned a different cabin in the same class.

There is, theoretically, another obscure possibility which can lead to an involuntary cabin reassignment. Each cabin is assigned to a specific lifeboat which has a mandatory maximum capacity. This capacity (surprising for many people) is less than the number of passengers who could be crammed into cabins if each cabin were filled to maximum. Of course, there are usually lots of two-person cabins with theoretical 3 or 4 passenger capability which will sail with just 2 people, most of them in fact. Occasionally, the cruise line will stop allowing 3 passengers in certain two-person cabins which are outfitted for a third person, because the lifeboat capacity in that section of the ship is being approached. (That is to say, if all two-person cabins which allowed a third or fourth passenger were actually to have that third and fourth person, the lifeboat would be overfull, something the company would never allow) One reads about this situation occurring every now and then on CC. I suppose it might be possible, if the cruise line so chose, to allow additional two-person cabins to be booked by three persons by emptying another two person cabin; i.e., by moving someone in a strictly two person cabin to another cabin in a different (lifeboat) section of the ship and sailing with that cabin empty. I must admit, though, that I've never heard of this happening, although I suspect one would never know if it did happen. The cases of involuntary switching of cabins which I recall on CC have all been because of a group needing contiguous cabins.

It is a shame that CC attracts some people who will never change their opinions, no matter what the evidence. More the shame when the CC member is otherwise a good contributor. The best approach is to drop the conversation, although, unfortunately, it does lead to some people remaining misinformed. This might be a good time to do it, nevertheless.

Bill

Well, I suppose all those people over the years could have been lying. You know, trolls.

iTouch is correct, however, that upgrading is a whole different matter than being reassigned a different cabin in the same class.

There is, theoretically, another obscure possibility which can lead to an involuntary cabin reassignment. Each cabin is assigned to a specific lifeboat which has a mandatory maximum capacity. This capacity (surprising for many people) is less than the number of passengers who could be crammed into cabins if each cabin were filled to maximum. Of course, there are usually lots of two-person cabins with theoretical 3 or 4 passenger capability which will sail with just 2 people, most of them in fact. Occasionally, the cruise line will stop allowing 3 passengers in certain two-person cabins which are outfitted for a third person, because the lifeboat capacity in that section of the ship is being approached. (That is to say, if all two-person cabins which allowed a third or fourth passenger were actually to have that third and fourth person, the lifeboat would be overfull, something the company would never allow) One reads about this situation occurring every now and then on CC. I suppose it might be possible, if the cruise line so chose, to allow additional two-person cabins to be booked by three persons by emptying another two person cabin; i.e., by moving someone in a strictly two person cabin to another cabin in a different (lifeboat) section of the ship and sailing with that cabin empty. I must admit, though, that I've never heard of this happening, although I suspect one would never know if it did happen. The cases of involuntary switching of cabins which I recall on CC have all been because of a group needing contiguous cabins.

It is a shame that CC attracts some people who will never change their opinions, no matter what the evidence. More the shame when the CC member is otherwise a good contributor. The best approach is to drop the conversation, although, unfortunately, it does lead to some people remaining misinformed. This might be a good time to do it, nevertheless.

Bill

A 2 person cabin will only sleep 2 people......if you want a triple or quad you need to book them......they don't bring in roll aways. The only way they can and will move you is to upgrade you if you infact booked a specific cabin which sleeps the amount of people in your cabin.....you will not be bumped out of your cabin to another cabin in the same category because of a group booking....that is the reason you pay MORE to book a specific cabin instead of a guaranteed cabin.......it really is not that difficult as some make it out to be.;)

I have been on this board since 2006 and am platinum on Carnival;) Regardless there is more to his story also...being told in the VIP that he was upgraded to a balcony cabin from oceanview? Not bumped .....who would turn that down:confused: LOL!

Anyway for any newbie that books just put a note in your booking that you do not want to be moved....you won't as long as you are 2 people in a 2 capacity cabin;) Rest assured.....

i would turn that down. we don't want a balcony. we do not use it. their was a note in our booking we did not want an upgrade.. guest services told us it is in the contract? this happen once without the note and were told our travel agent knew about it which he did not i was on the phone with him as they told us this. second time was with a note not to upgrade.

cruise one it seems another couple and my dh and i were booked in the same cabin and hence 20 cruises gave us the upgrade. cruise two family members of staff on board our was a very large cabin on deck 2 so we were upgraded to balcony on deck 9. very nice but we did want this and aould have had said no if asked

bia

i would turn that down. we don't want a balcony. we do not use it. their was a note in our booking we did not want an upgrade.. guest services told us it is in the contract? this happen once without the note and were told our travel agent knew about it which he did not i was on the phone with him as they told us this. second time was with a note not to upgrade.

cruise one it seems another couple and my dh and i were booked in the same cabin and hence 20 cruises gave us the upgrade. cruise two family members of staff on board our was a very large cabin on deck 2 so we were upgraded to balcony on deck 9. very nice but we did want this and aould have had said no if asked

bia

My point exactly.....you were upgraded and not bumped to another cabin in the same category.

.....it really is not that difficult as some make it out to be.;)

Nor is it as simple as others make it out to be.

I don't think I will change your mind on this, but it is in black and white in the cruise contract. The fine print is boring to read, but it is there to give the cruise line pretty free rein in whatever they want to do. It doesn't happen often, but yes they can change your cabin assignment even without your consent.

From the contract:

(g) Specific stateroom assignments are not guaranteed. Carnival reserves the right to move Guests to a comparable stateroom for any reason, including but not limited to, instances in which a stateroom is booked with fewer than the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate; or when a partial Guest cancellation occurs and the remaining number of Guests do not match the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate.

(Original question was re: how a party of 2 manages to book a triple or quad in the first place)

Cruiselines have a lot of data regarding which sailings sell out and which do not. If historically a given sail date is not expected to sell out, they will allow 2 people to book a triple or quad. If you spend enough time in a booking engine, you can see this for yourself. On historically more popular sailings, that are likely to sell out, this is not permitted, and if you put into the booking engine you are a party of 2 it will not show you open triples or quads.

Thank you. I was wtg for a response to this question.

Maybe my particular sailing is really popular because now when I search my sailing now, there are only 10 cabins left in my cat and we still have nearly a year to the sail date.

Nor is it as simple as others make it out to be.

I don't think I will change your mind on this, but it is in black and white in the cruise contract. The fine print is boring to read, but it is there to give the cruise line pretty free rein in whatever they want to do. It doesn't happen often, but yes they can change your cabin assignment even without your consent.

From the contract:

(g) Specific stateroom assignments are not guaranteed. Carnival reserves the right to move Guests to a comparable stateroom for any reason, including but not limited to, instances in which a stateroom is booked with fewer than the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate; or when a partial Guest cancellation occurs and the remaining number of Guests do not match the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate.

I know what the contract says:confused: And I'm not talking about what could happen.......sure anything could happen....lightning could strike in the same spot twice also:rolleyes: Now the real question is will it happen.....no...

Hmmm. The point exactly. Involuntary reassignments have been happening for years, including when the contiguous cabin situation arises. If you keep your eyes open, I am sure you will come across this from time to time on CC (although you can always insist that the posters are wrong.:))

Bill

Incidentally, iTouch, although I really didn't want to research this, here is a link you might find interesting:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=978039&highlight=cabin+reassigned

(I hope the link works!) It is 3 people in a 3 max capacity room who were reassigned another room of the same type (actually inferior -- a double where the third person will need a rollaway) without their consent and without any reason given.

Although these people were never given the reason for their involuntary reassignment, most likely it was the contiguous cabin problem. At least in the past when passengers have found out the reason, that seems to have been the problem.

Of course, they may have just made up this story.

Bill

There's a new policy about moving passengers from a HC cabin if non-disabled have booked it. They are holding HC cabins to the very last minute to be sure they will be available.

Splendor has very few HC cabins available & so far, the ones on the deck we wanted are booked. We are on the wait list for them- If they ask us to move, we may do it (or an up-grade to a OV or balcony (unless they are too far forward! Fingers X'd)

That's exactly what came to mind- a HC accessible cabin booked for non-disabled, likely to be moved. It makes sense for them to release later.

Incidentally, iTouch, although I really didn't want to research this, here is a link you might find interesting:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=978039&highlight=cabin+reassigned

(I hope the link works!) It is 3 people in a 3 max capacity room who were reassigned another room of the same type (actually inferior -- a double where the third person will need a rollaway) without their consent and without any reason given.

Although these people were never given the reason for their involuntary reassignment, most likely it was the contiguous cabin problem. At least in the past when passengers have found out the reason, that seems to have been the problem.

Of course, they may have just made up this story.

Bill

Abosutely bullcrap........"Oh I just called the other day" Seriously who does that when they are already booked:confused: What are ya calling about:confused:

And then they just move them next door:confused: ROFLMAO!!!!! Some people are so freaking gullible it is scary..........

Archived