Demograhics

Pop-I

Absolutely NOT. The newer / larger ships attract the exact same demographic as the older / smaller SB ships. But there's plenty of poor attitude on both type of ships and hipness is found only in the slick marketing brochures.

I'm down with that. dude. Actually, I'm not sure I am. It does seem to us that the bigger ships skew younger. Which is certainly not necessarily hipper--perhaps cooler would be a tad more contemporary in usage. I do think Neophytus is correct with respect to attitude. You will inevitably find people who drink to much and bray their cliches. And certainly there are some whiners who find fault with everything from the wine--oops, not a good example, as I too subscribe to the recognition of diminution in quality--to the absence of sea salt.But you will also find people who are charming, intelligent, perhaps with interesting backgrounds--for me, that means different from my own. In short, people with whom you can comfortably spend some time. I will say, as noted by a number of Brits, that yon English oft need to be lured into conversation, as their inherent shyness seems to forbid them responding to the usual conversational gambits. This is especially true of a Yorkshire contingent, who only nod and then return to gazing into their Tetley's Ale, cases of which they have brought aboard.

And certainly there are some whiners who find fault with everything ... the absence of sea salt.

You make me recall with amusement the Crystal guest who complained to anyone who would listen that it was a shame they were serving Grana Padano, instead of Parmigiano Reggiano (not knowing that they are comparably esteemed, and GP is not a second-rate knock-off).

I'm down with that. dude. Actually, I'm not sure I am. It does seem to us that the bigger ships skew younger. Which is certainly not necessarily hipper--perhaps cooler would be a tad more contemporary in usage. I do think Neophytus is correct with respect to attitude. You will inevitably find people who drink to much and bray their cliches. And certainly there are some whiners who find fault with everything from the wine--oops, not a good example, as I too subscribe to the recognition of diminution in quality--to the absence of sea salt.But you will also find people who are charming, intelligent, perhaps with interesting backgrounds--for me, that means different from my own. In short, people with whom you can comfortably spend some time. I will say, as noted by a number of Brits, that yon English oft need to be lured into conversation, as their inherent shyness seems to forbid them responding to the usual conversational gambits. This is especially true of a Yorkshire contingent, who only nod and then return to gazing into their Tetley's Ale, cases of which they have brought aboard.

As a Scottish lassie (well once upon a time anyway:)) - and married to an honarary-Scot, and definitely not a "Q-tip" (what a dreadful expression:mad:), I look forward to meeting lots of different and interesting people when I travel, as does the DH, but we also love to be on our own sometimes for dinner and enjoy our own company on OUR holiday. So just because we want to dine on our own (the maitre D' on the Silver Whisper did pull a face when we said no we didn't want to join others every night!) it doesn't mean we are being anti-social, but simply that we want to enjoy each other's company, without any of the usual day to day interruptions we have at home, or feel we have to make small talk with strangers!

From our only cruise experience, we had lots of very interesting and entertaining conversations with many of our fellow passengers, and I have to admit those we found interesting and wanted to spend some time with were from the USA! We had no problem starting or responding to conversational gambits - I'm sure (and hope) from reading the boards it will be the same on our next Seabourn Cruise (2 weeks to go and counting:D).

I do, however, well remember meeting one extremely rude woman on the ship, thankfully very briefly in the lift, and she was English - and a total snob, you know the type who looks everyone up and down.

A smile costs nothing and a kind word even less, whether it's to a fellow guest or crew member.:)

I'm down with that. dude. Actually, I'm not sure I am. .But you will also find people who are charming, intelligent, perhaps with interesting backgrounds--for me, that means different from my own. In short, people with whom you can comfortably spend some time. I will say, as noted by a number of Brits, that yon English oft need to be lured into conversation, as their inherent shyness seems to forbid them responding to the usual conversational gambits. This is especially true of a Yorkshire contingent, who only nod and then return to gazing into their Tetley's Ale, cases of which they have brought aboard.

.................................................................................................

SIR, I protest. In accordance with the Code Duello will you kindly identify your second. While we await arrangements, it behoves me to correct the above mendacity.

Being a former denizen of the White Rose County ( Yorkshire for non native speakers ) I am well placed to correct the inexactitudes.

Firstly, you mistake shyness for a natural British reserve brought on by our almost universal inability to understand foreign languages viz American, especially if delivered with a Nu Yawk twang. Secondly to engage a Yorkshireman, you need to utter the phrase " can I buy you a drink". Sadly this does not work on Seabourn as the drinks are free. So a different stratagem is needed . What works for me is " Would you like to join us in our luxury Owners Suite to share a glass or two of Dom Perignon ( Cristal if you must)". Failing this we will probably continue to stare mournfully into our glass of warm Ale ( ex crate). Until awoken by the announcement " It's time for Tiffin".

Incidentally Tetleys is passe - it's Theakston's Old Peculiar Ale that is de riguer nowadays ( brewed in Masham in the Yorkshire Dales). We are a Peculiar lot.

So, pistols at dawn - innit?

Would you like to join us in our luxury Owners Suite to share a glass or two of Dom Perignon ( Cristal if you must)"

glass? GLASS?

Call yourself a Yorkshire-woman?

Bottle...at least! :D

But you're quite correct on the Old Peculiar....is it onboard?

glass? GLASS?

Call yourself a Yorkshire-woman?

But you're quite correct on the Old Peculiar....is it onboard?

..............................................................................................

No on both counts I am afraid. Although my feminine side sometimes shows through on posts, I am in fact a guy:). Ok, so my soubriquet is a bit misleading.

As to the Theakstons, I am afraid its a case of BYO.

Cheers.

Any 'proper' (without starting a war, I'm sure you know what I mean!) beer onboard?

Or shall I be forced to stick to the champagne?

............................................................................................

Not usually. Although on our Baltic cruise, two cases of excellent Weissbier appeared ( brought on board in Lubeck). A very nice Chinese gentleman liberated it and drank almost a case in one evening:eek: . He was still smiling the next morning but made repeated excursions to his cabin ( suite) - to count the empties no doubt.

But seriously, if you have a port of call in a country who's beer you would like to sample, just ask if someone can go ashore and purchase a case - or two.

As to the champagne if its Nic F, you may wish to forget it- thin and acidic. See other posts on this board.

Seabourn Nail,

I choose not to dwell on the negativity of jimmy9w who most likely has issues with his/her own self-image and the over 45 years of age set (me!). Too bad... May whatever life force, Earth Mother or "mainstream" healer soothe his/her qualms... For my part I will sport my cords and (occasionally mock) turtle necks, heishi beads, sandals and also the occasional kaftan and turban combo like my friends do.

And on that note, I just hope that jimmy9w can find some kindred spirits too and come to terms with his/her demons! Peace to all and to you especially, Seabourn Nail!

As a Scottish lassie (well once upon a time anyway:)) - and married to an honarary-Scot, and definitely not a "Q-tip" (what a dreadful expression:mad:), I look forward to meeting lots of different and interesting people when I travel, as does the DH, but we also love to be on our own sometimes for dinner and enjoy our own company on OUR holiday. So just because we want to dine on our own (the maitre D' on the Silver Whisper did pull a face when we said no we didn't want to join others every night!) it doesn't mean we are being anti-social, but simply that we want to enjoy each other's company, without any of the usual day to day interruptions we have at home, or feel we have to make small talk with strangers!

From our only cruise experience, we had lots of very interesting and entertaining conversations with many of our fellow passengers, and I have to admit those we found interesting and wanted to spend some time with were from the USA! We had no problem starting or responding to conversational gambits - I'm sure (and hope) from reading the boards it will be the same on our next Seabourn Cruise (2 weeks to go and counting:D).

I do, however, well remember meeting one extremely rude woman on the ship, thankfully very briefly in the lift, and she was English - and a total snob, you know the type who looks everyone up and down.

A smile costs nothing and a kind word even less, whether it's to a fellow guest or crew member.:)

Madam, a thousand pardons. I used this public venue to tweak my friend Marianh, who is deservedly proud of his Yorkshire heritage.Indeed, I understand that he is a former officer of the Yorkshire Society for the Preservation of Tyke. Any road... I actually love to hear accents from all over the United Kingdom. Although I have to admit that some accents are so, um, heavy as to lead to long periods of silence during which I attempt to decipher a statement. An example--praise be to Google--might be, "unless we go at a fair lick we'll not be home while seven."A simple Noo Yawker might indeed have trouble with the written words. When uttered they arrive wrapped in glottal sounds that mystify. Finally, in a craven attempt to creep back into your good graces, I offer that I once had a girl friend who was a fierce advocate for Scottish independence,and with whom I made regular pilgrimages to a statue of Robbie Burns in Central Park in NYC. We had, I believe, no trouble understanding one another.

Finally, in a craven attempt to creep back into your good graces, I offer that I once had a girl friend who was a fierce advocate for Scottish independence,and with whom I made regular pilgrimages to a statue of Robbie Burns in Central Park in NYC. We had, I believe, no trouble understanding one another.

Sir you will have now upset even more Scots. Robert or Rabbie but never Robbie I'm afraid - unless it was the great Bard's brother...?

Finally, in a craven attempt to creep back into your good graces, I offer that I once had a girl friend who was a fierce advocate for Scottish independence,and with whom I made regular pilgrimages to a statue of Robbie Burns in Central Park in NYC. We had, I believe, no trouble understanding one another.

...........................................................................................

Ah, " Once I lov'd a Bonnie Lass".

Madam, a thousand pardons. I used this public venue to tweak my friend Marianh, who is deservedly proud of his Yorkshire heritage.Indeed, I understand that he is a former officer of the Yorkshire Society for the Preservation of Tyke. Any road... I actually love to hear accents from all over the United Kingdom. Although I have to admit that some accents are so, um, heavy as to lead to long periods of silence during which I attempt to decipher a statement. An example--praise be to Google--might be, "unless we go at a fair lick we'll not be home while seven."A simple Noo Yawker might indeed have trouble with the written words. When uttered they arrive wrapped in glottal sounds that mystify. Finally, in a craven attempt to creep back into your good graces, I offer that I once had a girl friend who was a fierce advocate for Scottish independence,and with whom I made regular pilgrimages to a statue of Robbie Burns in Central Park in NYC. We had, I believe, no trouble understanding one another.

You guys are hilarious! Yes, of course Rabbie Burns but a tad overrated as far as I'm concerned (and I'll nae doot upset a lot a Scots wha hae wi that wee beestie but Auld Lang Syne does bring a teer to ma een at Hogmanay!).

Yes Scots can be difficult to understand and as for Yorkshire ee by gum lad you'd better start apologising now!:D

Oh I do so hope some of you are on the Seabourn Quest TA - it'll make my day!:)

Be good now and daena fash yersel (be good and don't worry!)

I am only referring to the hair color. That's it.

>"Would you really refer to George Clooney as a Q-Tip?????" Yes, if he's pretty much all gray. <g>

Sorry ! you still lost me here .. what do Q-Tips have to do with hair ??? They are for sticking in your ear or cleaning the channels in your sliding patio door, right ??

Sorry ! you still lost me here .. what do Q-Tips have to do with hair ??? They are for sticking in your ear or cleaning the channels in your sliding patio door, right ??
Jane means the top of a Q-tip is white and most of the ship has a lot of "white" haired people. I am impressed with someone who cleans their patio door channels with q-tips I bet the rest of your house is perfect!

Jane means the top of a Q-tip is white and most of the ship has a lot of "white" haired people. I am impressed with someone who cleans their patio door channels with q-tips I bet the rest of your house is perfect!

Ah, the mysteries of our shared language. Now I know what Q-Tips are. We call them cotton buds this size of the pond.

Interestingly they were invented by Leo Gerstenzang in 1923 after watching his wife struggle with cotton wool on the end of a toothpick. He called them " Baby Gays" ( honestly). Presciently the name was quickly changed.

My own observations on Seabourn indicate a fair smattering of bald pates among the baby gays - sorry Q-tips.. Does Jane have a name for these?

QUOTE: My own observations on Seabourn indicate a fair smattering of bald pates among the baby gays - sorry Q-tips..

Ee by Gum Lad, I trust MarianH you are referring to the MALE baby gays! LOL!

When Jane first refered to "Q-Tips" I was quite affronted and thought it was a yucky expression, as I like others always think of cotton buds being used for a variety of yucky jobs as previously mentioned, however, driving into our local town today, I was hindered on my way by 2 very obvious "Q-Tips" driving the obligatory "Q-Tip" 25 mph on a busy main road. So Jane I now get it as all I could see was the white "tips" and found myself laughing, but I still wouldn't call George Clooney a "Q-Tip" no matter how grey/white he gets:D

QUOTE: My own observations on Seabourn indicate a fair smattering of bald pates among the baby gays - sorry Q-tips..

Ee by Gum Lad, I trust MarianH you are referring to the MALE baby gays! LOL!

.......................................................................................................

Dead reet Lass.

My DW has just observed that my use of bald pate may confuse our American cousins. In that a baldpate is also an anas americana. And these are rare on Seabourn, except perhaps on the dinner menu. Many years ago I saw an inn of this name in Estes Park so I should have known. Mea Culpa.

>"So Jane I now get it as all I could see was the white "tips" and found myself laughing, but I still wouldn't call George Clooney a "Q-Tip" no matter how grey/white he gets."

This phrase was used by a pastor of a church with an elderly congregation. When he was preaching, he saw the many gray-haired parish members in the pews. I think originally I stated that I thought there was probably another name in the UK. However, now when you open the cabinet in the Seabourn bathrooms, you may think of this term!

I yield to George Clooney, but not his father or Phil Donahue.

>"So Jane I now get it as all I could see was the white "tips" and found myself laughing, but I still wouldn't call George Clooney a "Q-Tip" no matter how grey/white he gets."

This phrase was used by a pastor of a church with an elderly congregation. When he was preaching, he saw the many gray-haired parish members in the pews. I think originally I stated that I thought there was probably another name in the UK. However, now when you open the cabinet in the Seabourn bathrooms, you may think of this term!

I yield to George Clooney, but not his father or Phil Donahue.

I will and I just saw a preview for George's new film, now I wouldn't mind finding him in my bathroom cabinet! LOL!;)

Archived