We are sailing on the Norwegian Spirit 5/15/04

to Alaska and was reading our documents = they

mentioned that dress is casual wear in most of

the dining rooms excluding formal night. Just

how casual can you go, my husband is not a

docker type person and does have some very nice

jeans - are these acceptable. I realize that

shorts/tank tops are not acceptable and that is

fine since we won't be taking any of them.

well if you were to ask the Fabulous 5 (from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy)...i am sure jeans would be acceptable, PROVIDED that they are dark denim...the darker the more "classy" and stylish...as they would say.

i am not a supporter of jeans during dinner, but if you can't get your hubby away from wearing them try to get him to wear darker jeans (i.e. black, brown, dark denim), then add a nice shirt on top of that. i'd probably go with a nice pair of dress boots (not cowboy boots) for the jeans...definitely black...or whatever matches his belt.

hope that helps.

diver_floating_md_clr.gif

WE ARE...PENN STATE! Biology '94

http://photos.yahoo.com/zonehph2002

click on NORWEGIAN WIND 20040327 (03/27/2004 sailing)

I've never completely understood why jeans are singled out on most cruise ships, but they are. I am not a jeans wearer, so it doesn't really matter to me. But you should keep in mind that jeans are "officially" not allowed in the dining rooms at night. That includes darker shades of denim. I've read reports on CC of pax being refused admittance; on the other hand, I've read numerous reports of pax not having any problems with darker denim (or even regular jeans, for that matter). Clearly, the enforcement of the policy varies depending on who's manning the doors.

NCL's literature states that "resort casual" is deemed appropriate, not just "casual". Other than the ban on t-shirts, jeans and shorts (at night), it's up to the cruiser to interpret the term. To me, "resort casual" means you would fit in at a country club or similar setting. For men, it means a collared shirt (polo, sport or dress) and Dockers-type pants or dress pants.

I have been led to believe jeans are never acceptable in the dining room for dinner. On our SKY cruise we found most people to be in "resort casual" -- dockers & golf shirts for the men. The NCL web site says "resort casual" is as dressy as you will ever have to get for dinner.

Trish

I've seen lots of people in jeans in the dining rooms... especially on the Alaska cruises.... I've never known anyone to be denied dining because they had on jeans. There are so many dining venues on the ships your husband should have no problem in any of the dining rooms wearing jeans... Enjoy your cruise!

Sovereign 10/95, Eastern

Fantasy 4/96, Nassau

Amsterdam Canals, Netherlands, 7/96

Dolphin IV 12/96, Nassau

Ocean Breaze 12/97, Western

Dawn Princess 9/98, Alaska

Granduer 10/00, Southern

Sovereign 12/00, Nassau

Radiance 4/01

Fascination 8/01, Nassau

Radiance 9/01, Alaska

Summit, 9/01

Sovereign 11/01, Nassau

Pride 1/02, Nassau

Rhapsody 1/02, Western

NCL Star 6/02, Hawaii

Brilliance 9/02, Transatlantic

NCL Majesty 11/02, Nassau

Navigator, 1/03, Eastern

Sovereign, 2/03, Nassau

Sovereign, 5/8/03, Nassau

Sovereign, 5/15/03, Nassau

Serenade, 8/03, Maiden Voyage-Transatlantic

Sovereign, 8/31/03, Nassau

Mariner, 11/16/03, Inaugural Eastern

Sovereign, 12/03, Nassau

Sovereign, 3/04, Nassau

Jewel, 6/04, Baltic

Jewel, 9/04, Europe & Transatlantic

NCL Star, 11/04, Mexican Pacific Coast

Sovereign, 1/05, Nassau

well, MOONMOUNTAIN...

looks like most people are encouraging your hubby to wear slacks. and i am sorry to say i'd have to agree. (i was trying to work around the situation...though i still think dark colored jeans should be ok, PROVIDED you match it well with a nice shirt or even a sport jacket...that should avoiwe're talking formal dining. that in itself should be a treat because i am sure a good portion of us have dinner in our boxers or pjs, while sitting in front of the tv on many nights.

jeans are typically "work pants". that's what they were orginally intended.

i think your hubby would really be comfortable in a golf shirt and a pair of Dockers. seriously, Dockers are closer in weight to denim, as opposed to wool dress slacks.

and if he walks tall like he's the captain's brother, then i think you'll have no problem in the dining rooms. image is key!

happy sailing!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>that should avoiwe're talking formal dining. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the darn phone rang as i was typing this part...

should read: that should avoid acts by the dress code police. but then again, we're talking formal dining.

You may see Jeans in the dining room afer pm but they really are not allowed. Rather than take a chance of be asked to leave and embarrassing everyone stick with dockers or something similar and a nice sport shirt or golf shirt.(not the gals) they would look pretty silly in Dockers and golf shirts.LOL

NMNita

Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004

now hold on newmexicoNita,

would the girls have the shirts buttoned or twisted in a knot on the bottom?

and would the dockers be hip huggers, capris, or the waistband rolled over once or twice...

now that would be sexy.

For me, non of the above! I wouldn't want to start a laughing contest during dinner: for my cute grandaughters who knows, but certainly not golf shirts: the dockers as in brand I guess so; shirts tied up at the waist if they could get by grandma that would work.

NMNita

Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004

NmNita-

I'm cringing as I write this . . . ZoneHPH is a fellow Nittany Lion -- even though I've never met him ---- to a limited icon_smile.gif extent I'll vouch for his integrity. I know he undertstands the word "no". All good Penn State boys have that concept drilled into their brains. Fortunately, it does not deter them from trying. icon_wink.gif

As for fashion, somehow, I think your granddaughters will be stunning no matter where they go or how they are actually clad. In the long run, you're probably better off w/ ZoneHPH chasing them b/c you know a couple of important things:

1. He's well educated.

2. He has a GREAT sense of humor!

3. He can afford to cruise! This at minimum means that he shouldn't object too loudly if his granmother-in-law comes along as long as her cabin is on the opposite end of the ship from his. icon_smile.gif

4. Your great grandkids will become legacies at the BEST university in the galaxy!

Trish

OH MY, TRISH1C!

what ever did i do to deserve such a stunning testimonial? thank you so much.

very cute with the "no". but you are correct...our next line will be "i'll find my way to get around that." or "i'll wear her down." - hahahahhaha - Sounds like a bad night of "fishing" at the 'skellar.

trish1c, feel free to email me at zonehph@psualum.com

maybe we can set up tailgating opportunities this year.

My husband had jeans on when we left port the first day and when we went to the dining room, the maitre'd wasn't going to let him in. However, he relented and said it was okay the first night out since not everyone's luggage had probably been delivered to their stateroom. My husband always dresses appropriately for dinner, even a tux for formal nights, but just didn't feel like going back to the cabin to change (our luggage had arrived hours earlier). So, it's probably okay the first night out and your husband could claim your luggage hadn't arrived yet so he could change, but I think he would be better off with the dockers for the rest of the cruise. Enjoy!

Thank you for all your responses - my husband went yesterday and got a nice pair of dockers to take. He didn't want to have to eat alone while the rest of us enjoyed the dining options.

It is getting so near the excitment is building

this is our first Alaska Cruise and all the pictures are so beautiful.

Archived