A Reluctant Cruiser...

sarafinadh

• 1 month later...
I am so curious to know what ever even got you on a cruise again?

I Know. Who would have ever thunk.

Himself retired last July, and we started a business on Amazon. It's been fun, but wild, and he really needed a break. Only no matter what I did he just kept working.

Took him to Cabo Pulmo for a week before the holidays. About as remote as it is possible to get and still be reasonably accessible.

He spent the whole week on line, over a miserable weak slow connection, at least 6 hours a day. I was strolling the beach, riding, scuba diving. He was working. Well, and napping of course ; -)

After the first of January we had a trip planned for business in LA, with meetings a week apart. It didn't make sense to come home and go back. So I went looking for a way to get him to unwind. AndI remembered that on the ship there had been no internet or phone. At least while we were at sea. And Carnival runs a short trip from LA with not much in the way of ports.

I figured I could stand a few days if it would get him to unwind. He was making me nuts ; -)

And then I was surprised to enjoy it. And he LOVED it. And it turns out he had always wanted to cross on the QE2. Who knew.

So I looked into it, and sail date lines up well with a trip we have planed to France and Italy, so it looks as if we will be on the 'Grand Dame' this August!

Seven days relaxing, and dancing and listening to music; James Taylor will be aboard. Himself loves blackjack. I always like afternoon tea. The shops look like they might even be worth a window shop one afternoon ; -) All as an entry into almost a month in Europe! Sounds pretty plush to me!!

Edited by sarafinadh

You may think you don't like cold weather, but the scenery is so spectacular you will have to be outside watching it. We didn't fancy cruising at all, but our friends persuaded us to try an Alaska cruise. It was the best thing we ever did. We spent every day at sea on deck watching the fabulous scenery. Yes we needed warm clothes, but hot soup and hot chocolate was brought round. Also although it was cold (we were on the last cruise of the year - end of August/ early September), the sun was out most of the time so if you stood in the sun you felt OK.

We did a mixture of ship bought and independently booked excursions. We booked an independent trip on line to take in Juneau. It was a whale watching trip with 'Captain Larry' on a boat called the Orca. It didn't disappoint - we saw hump back whales very close up. In Skagway we went with the ship' strip on the White Pass railway. We had no choice because it didn't do any other trips except those for the cruise ship. We didn't regret it, because it was very interesting. The guide was excellent.

Good luck and enjoy!

I don't know where to begin...Wherever you got your information is so wrong. I am single so travel solo and it is important that I find great people to be with; I have often been called a snob so I get your concerns. In general, what I say is that you we can't find a dozen really interesting people among the 200 to 4000 other passengers, then the problem is mine, not the other passengers. I always do my-time dining so I can go when I want. I get friendly with the host / hostess the first afternoon (BEFORE dinner) and let that person know what I expect - great dinner companions at my table, the same waiters each night once I have found the really good ones (host will help with that the first night. Let the waiters know what you expect and of course you must act civilly with them. They will treat you like royalty if you treat them very professionally but with personal empathy. Ask for the little extras that let the staff know that you know how to dine!!!!! They will treat you accordingly. Sadly that have many mal-educados on all ships and have to deal with them daily too. Use their names always and get to know the maitre 'd by name and be sure to speak to them the very first evening and every evening after. Ask for a cheese board or antipasto plate as you sit down; establish yourselves as special guests. That's the main issues in the dining room. Oh, and specialty restaurants aren't typically what they are claimed to be...Sometimes yes, often not. If you can't get an excellent meal i n main dining, it is your fault usually.

As for doing things on board, look at all activities available before you board.... If you like sunning, there are tons of places that are quiet and not near 500 others next to the pool. Lectures can be great. Entertainment varies tremendously by ship, but try the first night and see if it is your cup of tea or not.... Hard to advise on that. I stay clear of gambling, the people are not my favourites in general. Some small cocktail bars can be lovely just to go to and chat with family or new found friends. Whether the bar is open or not, it is there to be used for quiet chat. I cruise a lot (never fly) and my problem is often to be able to do all that I want in the course of the average day aboard.

Excursions I always do my own.... It's not a whole lot different from driving into a new town while traveling aboard.... You look about, read some facts before you go ashore and explore!!!! Always fun..... Just go in opposite direction of the crowds getting off the ship.... I also sometimes stay aboard on port days - I feel like I own the ship....

So much more I could say. But I am willing to predict that you will have a blast IF you makes crew and officer acquaintances as soon as possible once aboard. Let them know by your actions that you are a special guest and that you are looking forward to a wonderful time. ALL officers are anxious to be stopped and just to hear a few words from you; they get tons of petty complaints (passengers trying to get a free bottle of wine by bitching about something ridiculous). Your being civilized will stand you in good stead. And don't hesitate to write a personal note to an officer with a thought, positive or negative; and simply say that you know they appreciate hearing constructive thoughts... And they do!!!!!!!

And that is about it.... You set the tone without seeming to be imperious and the crew will be at your beck and call.... I promise you a super cruise... Let me know here how it went..... Gary Lloyd

July 13th 2012, Alaska Northbound inland cruise on the Celebrity Millennium. Family trip celebrating my In Law's 50th.

I am really struggling here. I am going on an Alaskan cruise next July. With an extended family group. For a week. And it sounds like torture to me. And everyone here sounds so happy about cruising.

I have a horrible attitude, I know, but when I think "Cruising" it sounds like a combination of Las Vegas, a Huge Shopping Mall, Chain Restaurants and a Big Hotel. All of which I avoid at all costs.

I love to travel, and my husband, college aged daughter and I have been on wonderful trips, all over the world. We stay in small apartments in residential neighbourhoods and walk and eat and explore endlessly and can happily amuse ourselves for days or weeks at a time. But we do not do the typical sightseeing, or the common venues. We don't have a schedule or even reservations except for lodgings. We don't "vacation", we travel.

A cruise sounds as if it is all about vacationing and very little about traveling. Like a sea based version of "If it's Tuesday it must be Belgium" with mad morning dashes off the ship thru crowded gangways and rushed afternoon returns trying to make it back by sailing time.

I have been reading all the interesting posts here and have read thru all the material I can find from the Celebrity site so I feel that I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. I know that the ship will be just out of dry dock and very fresh, which I will appreciate very much.

We don't have a problem with dressing for dinner, The Spouse looks very handsome in his dinner clothes and my Daughter loves to dress up on occasion, as do I.

We are in our 40's and our daughter is 18, but we are happy mixing with all age groups and have no reservation on that count.

I am an avid sailor and can deal with seasickness, Love my patch, and ginger candies, and I'll have one for the Spouse as well since he succumbs very easily to mal de mere and for our daughter just in case.

I think that reserving the excursions ahead of time will be necessary. I plan on not using the cruiseline's trips, but instead using local businesses. I feel pretty stressed about figuring out ahead of time what all we should do, but the information on the Alaska board has me started in the right direction.

But what will I do on the boat? Hanging out in bars has no appeal to me. Not interested in karaoke, listening or doing. Not interested in reviews and shows of questionable quality. Folding napkins and towel animals is just not going to do it for me. We are foodies and from what I can tell the food will be (hopefully)acceptable but nothing that will excite us, The food service gets such mixed reviews and I confess that in this area we are as bad as any San Franciscan... I HATE cold weather so outdoor viewing of the passing scenery isn't very attractive to me either. Seen one tree, seen 'em all...

I guess I can just suck it up and hang out in the stateroom reading between ports.

I sound like such a snob, I know, but I am not, really, I just don't care for group activities and events. I feel I will have very little in common with most of the other passengers. And I know exactly what people will think of some wet blanket who is unexcited when everyone else is having a grand time.

My poor inlaws think they are doing such a Lovely Thing for us and have no ide that we have discussed endlessly how to divert them to anything other than this plan. The only other option was Arizona for spring training and lucky for me the other families wouldn't take their children out of school for a trip. Arizona? Baseball? That makes even a Cruise look better ; -)

I am not even sure what I am hoping for here... maybe advice from others, who cruise reluctantly, and how they stay happy for their companions sake?

Tips on what I might be able to do on board that are not readily apparent?

Suggestions on avoiding the worst of the herd mentality? I already get about trying to time your boarding and disembarking to avoid the crowds...

Dosages for mood altering drugs that will let me at least appear to be enjoying myself?

Assurance that once aboard I will discover that the cruise IS fun?

If so many of you love it there must be something to it I am missing. I don't want to spend 8 months (and my In-Law's investment) dreading a trip.

You set the tone without seeming to be imperious and the crew will be at your beck and call.... I promise you a super cruise... Let me know here how it went..... Gary Lloyd

Thanks so much for the kind suggestions Gary. That original cruise has (long) come and gone, and sadly it was worse than I expected. At the end I would have bet the house on never cruising again. This necro-thread has taken a somewhat unexpected turn recently however.

After hating the first cruise I wound up on a second one and actually, for a bunch of reasons, found it pretty pleasant. I came back to this thread because so many folks here had been so kind and encouraging and helpful, I wanted them to know that I had had a better experience the second time around!

Not ever going to be an avid cruiser, but under some circumstances it's a good option!

Sara

We're going on our first cruise, to the Baltic, this year. We usually do our own thing too, driving through France, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Spain etc. staying in Gites, guest houses, farmhouses, etc., so this is a big change for us. We love meeting people and making new friends. Not sure we'll enjoy the in board entertainment, but then we don't have to do those things! Going with an open mind, and hoping it's the correct choice for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sarah, thank you for coming back and telling us about your more recent experience. I'm glad that you were both able to relax and recuperate on your cruise, I hope that the transatlantic crossing is a lovely start to your month in Europe.

I have always wanted to take a cruise and the thought kept coming up as a kid growing up. I remember when I was 11 seeing the DVDs of the Disney Cruise thinking would this be a good vacation? At the time I could not imagine myself being there with tons of people but then again we were going to Europe, Timeshare Resorts, Rving in my Grandparent's 5th wheel etc.

Then in 2007 I found out about Cruise Critic and joined again with the thought I would sail that year. Well it didn't happen and for a good reason.

In 2011 I was looking through the Travel Section of the local newspaper and came upon a Trans Atlantic Cruise on Royal Caribbean from San Juan-Barcelona with ports in St. Martin, Tenerife, Gibraltar, Cartegena, Majoirca before arriving into Barcelona. I showed my Father the ad and told him all about cruising and the benefits.

He had misconceptions but all of my misconceptions went away as soon as I read one or two trip reports so I knew I would love a cruise.

We took the cruise in April 2012 and really loved it and an opportunity presented itself for 2013 after I was able to get Southwest Vouchers that we used to fly to New Orleans. We found another Royal Caribbean cruise from New Orleans-Rome and enjoyed it as well. This year I found a Santos(Sao Paulo) Brazil-Barcelona Cruise with stops in Rio,Salvador De Bahia, Teneriefe and Malaga before going to Barcelona.

I enjoy that you only have to unpack once, you meet fun people, nightly entertainment, good food and lots of relaxing time on sea days by the pool.

My point is you can make it miserable or have a blast the choice is yours.

Its good to know before that you may not like cruising rather than be stuck on a cruise in misery. I would start with a 5 day cruise and go from there.

I Know. Who would have ever thunk.

Himself retired last July, and we started a business on Amazon. It's been fun, but wild, and he really needed a break. Only no matter what I did he just kept working.

Took him to Cabo Pulmo for a week before the holidays. About as remote as it is possible to get and still be reasonably accessible.

He spent the whole week on line, over a miserable weak slow connection, at least 6 hours a day. I was strolling the beach, riding, scuba diving. He was working. Well, and napping of course ; -)

After the first of January we had a trip planned for business in LA, with meetings a week apart. It didn't make sense to come home and go back. So I went looking for a way to get him to unwind. AndI remembered that on the ship there had been no internet or phone. At least while we were at sea. And Carnival runs a short trip from LA with not much in the way of ports.

I figured I could stand a few days if it would get him to unwind. He was making me nuts ; -)

And then I was surprised to enjoy it. And he LOVED it. And it turns out he had always wanted to cross on the QE2. Who knew.

So I looked into it, and sail date lines up well with a trip we have planed to France and Italy, so it looks as if we will be on the 'Grand Dame' this August!

Seven days relaxing, and dancing and listening to music; James Taylor will be aboard. Himself loves blackjack. I always like afternoon tea. The shops look like they might even be worth a window shop one afternoon ; -) All as an entry into almost a month in Europe! Sounds pretty plush to me!!

To me it just sounds like on your previous cruise you just weren't going to where you wanted to (warm place) and you were determined not to have a good time before you went. Yeah that mindset will get you every time and being spoiled (not saying you are) makes a child stamp there feet and claim they hate something even before they try it. That's where you tell a child to give something a chance and not decide before they go how much they are going to hate something. I'm glad I'm not your parents who paid for your trip, I'd have much preferred you stay home than to have to stay drunk or under "chemical" help and be the one who actually paid for that. ....wondering if you paid for your parents to go on the warm trip with you?

Any adult can do anything for 1 week and find things they can do and enjoy and not have to be drunk or drugged to get through it, unless they have a mental issue.

We never cruised until I was in my late 40's because I didn't think I"d like it, but when I did I had an open mind and didn't "dread" it beforehand and never took a drink or a drug. Found out for real that we can be happy anywhere, but that is our frame of mind. I can't believe you hated it so much but then took another one. You could have booked a land vacation away from all the stress without it being a cruise. That's just incredible you hated something so much to stay drunk and drugged (because it was cold?) then you book another one...hmmm..interesting or is it because they weren't going exactly where you wanted to go? I absolutely HATE hot weather(live in the south) but where do we cruise? The Caribbean and I enjoy the heck out of it. I don't spend time in the sun, in the heat, at the beach but I make a good time...perhaps you could've done the same but then again they didn't go where you wanted them to go, so you weren't happy.

Personally I can't wait to take a Alaskan cruise but until we do I'm going to suffer with the heat and make the best of it without complaining and drinking or taking "chill pills" and go as often as I can. OH and we own a beach house and I hate the beach...but as I said happiness is a state of being. You made yourself unhappy beforehand, I am not surprised you hated it because it wasn't to a warm place....

Geez Louise, the first cruise wasn't her cup of tea - and I have taken a cruise where if it had been my first - it might have been a one and done.

She gave it another try, we are all allowed to change our minds or give things another shot I hope.

It isn't like she sat in a corner of her cabin and wept the entire cruise or went on a wild drunk & cut off her hair. She had the audacity to not love it, and then post her review on CC for all us cruise freaks to read. Brave woman. ;)

Edited by CanWeGoYet?

Geez Louise, the first cruise wasn't her cup of tea - and I have taken a cruise where if it had been my first - it might have been a one and done.

She had the audacity to not love it, and then post her review on CC for all us cruise freaks to read. Brave woman. ;)

Thanks for that!

I would offer up that my slow sipping of a few cocktails and a half a Valium before dinner did not leave me drugged and drunk. Just less hyper sensitive.

No one other than Himself and our daughter, who was also struggling with the trip, were even aware of the increased (for me) consumption and medication.

Certainly NOT our folks. They have NEVER known anything other than what a GREAT time we all had. I wouldn't have hurt them or spoiled things for the rest of the family for anything.

Thanks for that!

I would offer up that my slow sipping of a few cocktails and a half a Valium before dinner did not leave me drugged and drunk. Just less hyper sensitive.

No one other than Himself and our daughter, who was also struggling with the trip, were even aware of the increased (for me) consumption and medication.

Certainly NOT our folks. They have NEVER known anything other than what a GREAT time we all had. I wouldn't have hurt them or spoiled things for the rest of the family for anything.

Oh, if you mentioned cocktails or valium it has long past slipped my mind.

Just an example pulled out of thin air.

Some seem to take it personally, like you were a guest in their home & were ungrateful for their hospitality. I don't get the indignation.