apart from freestyle, what else is different?

nikimouse

what else is different between NCL and carnival? can anyone compare entertainment, deck partys, atmousphere, any differences in passengers you noticed between the 2? Ive read alot about food but I wanna know how fun NCL is. Hopeing I like it more than carnival. thanks!

what else is different between NCL and carnival? can anyone compare entertainment, deck partys, atmousphere, any differences in passengers you noticed between the 2? Ive read alot about food but I wanna know how fun NCL is. Hopeing I like it more than carnival. thanks!

I am stealing the phrase from someone on another site: Freestyle is all about "do your own thing" cruising. It is very laid back, yes, so is Carnival but in a little different way. NCL isn't quite as active at night and generally has a slightly older, overall clientelle, but the lines are similar. NCL cabins are smaller and the ships are not as large or as glitzy as Carnival. The entertainment is comparable.

Basically, I don't think the dfiferences are enough to even notice, but there are some..

Nita

seems to me carnival is set up for party till you drop and ncl is set up to providing enough things to keep you busy but not so much as to interfair with those who just want to relax and melt into a lounge or corner.But thats just my opinion

I avoided Carnival for many years because of negative stuff I'd heard about them.

Last year we finally gave them a shot, and low and behold, we found we really enjoyed CCL! No rowdiness that we could find anywhere, and certainly comparable service.

I won't go over the food as you've obviously read up on that. Although I will mention you can still order complimentary cappuccinos on CCL after dinner, which is a nice thing. Also NCL has freestyle dining down pat, while CCL has a ways to go as far as table availability and overall coordination.

And Nita covered the cabins. I'll add that if you're a mint collector, you still get the traditional mint on the pillow with CCL.

As far as entertainment, at one time NCL was considered far above CCL but now I'd rate them dead even. NCL has (in my opinion) dropped dramatically since their elimination of the JAR dance company. CCL has more going on in the daily activity department, like a hairy chest contest at the pool, crafts during the day (no charge), movies, stuff like that.

Passenger mix is pretty much the same on both lines.

Here are two other differences that struck me. Last year, I spent my birthday on CCL. This year on NCL. I don't mention it to anyone - I generally ignore it as far as any celebrations go. NCL has always ignored it as well. But last year on CCL, out of the clear blue at dinner, here come the dancing waiters with a little cake. They'd tracked me down using their computers! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little touched, and certainly extremely impressed.

The second difference is the ship layouts. On NCL it seems like every available square inch of public space is eaten up by specialty restaurants. On CCL you have many more bars and lounges, and thus, many more places to sit, relax and just shoot the breeze when out and about the ship.

Both line do an immaculate job of maintaining their ships. Oh, and NCL has much better libraries.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

I like both lines and would book either in a heartbeat. Actually, I do. :D

I think there are just as many, if not more, differences between ships as there are between cruise lines. You're going to get a very different experience on Epic than you are on Sky or on POA. The newer/bigger ships attract more elaborate entertainment. Itinerary affects things too - Caribbean cruises are different than Alaskan cruises. Even the time of year changes things. You'll get more families during the summer when school is out, more young people during Spring Break.

I've liked all the cruise lines but each cruise had its strengths and weaknesses.

(Carnival has the best bedding.)

Archived