Need insurance but Im clueless

jburk

We will soon be booking our 2nd cruise for nov 2013. We will not be going without insurance. We almost has to cancel our last cruise as my stepgrandmother had a stroke the day before we sailed. I feel SO clueless about what type of coverage I need. I have visited a few websites but still feel clueless and dont know what company to trust. I feel like I need a cancel for any reason policy. We are booking so far in advance anything can happen. Plus i can only request off for work 6 mos in advance. In addition the school calendar will not be out yet however the kids have been out for tgiving week for the past several years so I am assuming that will continue. However if not, and if work denies my vacation we'd reschedule the trip and not cancel. Its me, dh and our 2 boys. I need some advice on what coverage woild be best. I do not want to use the cruiselines insurance bc I know there are better deals out there.

Its me, dh and our 2 boys. I need some advice on what coverage woild be best.

Keep in mind you can typically cancel your cruise with no issues whatsoever up until Final Payment Date arrives (typically 75-90 days before your cruise sails).

Also, if/when you cancel or change your cruise, you do not get your insurance payment back.

You typically have to book insurance within 7 daysish of your initial trip payment in order to get any pre-existing condition waiver to apply (ie: if you suspect that you might need assistance due to any pre-existing condition, then you would get that assistance if the waiver applies). If that is not a concern for you, you can book your insurance any time you want.

http://www.insuremytrip.com is a good source to go to; I use them. But honestly, I think you might be better off canceling your existing reservation and rebooking it once you know that your dates are certain, especially if your exact vacation dates are not already carved in stone. Then buy the insurance at that time and get the pre-ex waivers to apply. Nov 2013 is a long way away.

The last several cruises I have booked have all been booked <=45 days out. If your dates are flexible, waiting until that timeframe is one of the best ways to get the best deals.... (the downside of course being that your desired ship or cabin type (verandah/ handicap accessible/ etc) could sell out before you book, hence the "flexible" qualifier...)

Also, if/when you cancel or change your cruise, you do not get your insurance payment back.

True, but you usually can roll this coverage over to another trip at no cost.

You typically have to book insurance within 7 daysish of your initial trip payment in order to get any pre-existing condition waiver to apply

With a lot of companies, you have 14-21 days. Definately recommend you purchase insurance in time to have this coverage. If you want a "cancel for any reason" policy, you also have these requirements to purchase within a certain time frame after you make your initial deposit, AND you must cancel your trip by a certain date (for example 48 hours prior to your scheduled departure date). And note, with "cancel for any reason", you won't get all your money back; depends on the policy. It could be as low as 75% of your costs. Read the policy carefully, and call if you have any questions.

I'd strongly suggest considering the policy offered by your insurance line. For all their faults, more and more of them are including (in place of "normal" cancellation coverage) generous Any Reason riders far better (and usually cheaper) than the riders offered by 3rd parties.

It won't cover your airfare, but if you can re-schedule, you'll usually only owe change fees and fare difference anyway.

Archived