Should I book an Aft Balcony?

carefreebee

I'm thinking of changing from our 10 day Emerald booking in March to a 7 day on the Crown and then also book the 4 day Caribbean Princess to Bermuda in October.......kinda a two for the price of one thing;)

An aft corner balcony on Baja deck is available on the Crown's 3/31 sailing, should I book it?

We've never had an aft cabin before but have seen there are many Cruise Critic fans who love them. I can assume there is endless sun, sea and stars to enjoy but are there any cons having a corner balcony?

I'm thinking of changing from our 10 day Emerald booking in March to a 7 day on the Crown and then also book the 4 day Caribbean Princess to Bermuda in October.......kinda a two for the price of one thing;)

An aft corner balcony on Baja deck is available on the Crown's 3/31 sailing, should I book it?

We've never had an aft cabin before but have seen there are many Cruise Critic fans who love them. I can assume there is endless sun, sea and stars to enjoy but are there any cons having a corner balcony?

A friend had B749 on our recent cruise on the Crown & it was great and I can understand why they are so popular. They liked it so much that it's all they want to book in the future. If you want direct sunlight it might not be the best option though. My wife has a tendency for mal de mer but we were in R749 two decks about our friend's cabin & surprisingly my wife had no problems. :eek:

Do what we did; just take the plunge! We have always wanted to try one so we just decided to book one! We sail on the Crown in Feb. we booked early so we could get a corner aft cabin. Really looking forward to it :)

A friend had B749 on our recent cruise on the Crown & it was great and I can understand why they are so popular. They liked it so much that it's all they want to book in the future. If you want direct sunlight it might not be the best option though. My wife has a tendency for mal de mer but we were in R749 two decks about our friend's cabin & surprisingly my wife had no problems. :eek:

We don't need direct sunlight but would love to have good star viewing.

We don't need direct sunlight but would love to have good star viewing.

I would think it would be good for viewing stars but only those looking aft if seated because you would have to go to the rail to look straight up to complete the view. That's very common for most balconies except for uncovered Dolphin deck mini-suite balconies & partially uncovered Caribe deck balconies.

Well said. I'd go for it. Only if you get sea sick easily would I stay midship and central in height.

My expereince is that if you get sick a lot it better to have aft balcony. If you are on the sides all of the liquid will end up on the balcony below you. If you have an aft balcony, the shape of the stern will allow everything to fall directly into the ocean.

Do what we did; just take the plunge! We have always wanted to try one so we just decided to book one! We sail on the Crown in Feb. we booked early so we could get a corner aft cabin. Really looking forward to it :)

I think we'll take your advice and take the plunge!

My expereince is that if you get sick a lot it better to have aft balcony. If you are on the sides all of the liquid will end up on the balcony below you. If you have an aft balcony, the shape of the stern will allow everything to fall directly into the ocean.

:confused: not sure what to think about this post....but I don't plan on getting sick and I would never use my balcony, aft or otherwise, to release "liquids" to fall below:eek:!

I think we'll take your advice and take the plunge!

We are booked on a 14 day BTB on the Crown which departs in 82 Days!! We are booked in B748 which is an Aft corner balcony. I will let you know how we like it and I'll take a few pictures for you. I'm really looking forward to this experience!

Dave

:confused: not sure what to think about this post....but I don't plan on getting sick and I would never use my balcony, aft or otherwise, to release "liquids" to fall below:eek:!

Our cabin only had 2 portholes & was 2 decks higher than our friend's B749 cabin and my seasickness prone wife had no problems. She always brings meclizine juist in case but rarely used any on our recent NE/Canada cruise. :)

We're taking advantage of today's sale to book for Dec. 2, 2012 repositioning across the Atlantic from Venice to Galveston. This was the last aft left (non-suite). Will we hear much noise from FUSION one deck down?

After you're booked, consider joining the roll call for your sailing:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434428&page=4

We're also on the preceeding cruise (12 day Greek Isles) from Rome to Venice & so are others sailing b2b for 32 days which has it's own roll call.

Can't help about any noise from Club Fusion but recently on the Crown the Patter showed it was open until "late" or "close" but have no idea when it closes.

We are booked on a 14 day BTB on the Crown which departs in 82 Days!! We are booked in B748 which is an Aft corner balcony. I will let you know how we like it and I'll take a few pictures for you. I'm really looking forward to this experience!

Dave

It's official......we're booked in B748 on the Crown 3/31/2012 sailing :D!

Can't wait to hear all about your experiences Dave!

We're taking advantage of today's sale to book for Dec. 2, 2012 repositioning across the Atlantic from Venice to Galveston. This was the last aft left (non-suite). Will we hear much noise from FUSION one deck down?

We had E735 on the Sapphire Princess this past May and loved it. Absolutely no noise from Club Fusion below or any other noise. No hallway noise and very private. Slight vibrations when docking but nothing bothersome. We have an aft suite booked for a future cruise on the Crown from Galveston. We now prefer the aft cabins.

Our cabin only had 2 portholes & was 2 decks higher than our friend's B749 cabin and my seasickness prone wife had no problems. She always brings meclizine juist in case but rarely used any on our recent NE/Canada cruise. :)

What ship has rooms with porthole windows 2 floors above baja?

Dave

We have your cabin the week before....Jan 28, 2012. I'll leave the light on. :D

And yes corner aft cabins are the bomb. They are our favorite. This is our 2nd one and we booked a 3rd for 2013 on Ruby...different corner but the same cabin we had a couple years ago.

Russell

We have your cabin the week before....Jan 28, 2012. I'll leave the light on. :D

And yes corner aft cabins are the bomb. They are our favorite. This is our 2nd one and we booked a 3rd for 2013 on Ruby...different corner but the same cabin we had a couple years ago.

Russell

How would you like to take a couple of pics for us?:D

Dave

What ship has rooms with porthole windows 2 floors above baja?

I am only aware of 4 of them on the Crown type of ship with the additional deck of cabins. It's C category Oceanview with portholes cabins...R746 to 749...which was a free upgrade from an inside cabin for us. I doubt if many would pay to have an oceanview cabin with only two 15" portholes & they're probably used mostly for upgrades. But it was in a very convenient location close to the Terrace Pool & only one deck up to all of the Lido deck activities. And as previoiusly posted, even my wife who has a tendency to feel the motion more than others didn't have a problem which was somewhat of a surprise. It's just above the Owner's Suite so we thought there couldn't be too much additional motion & we were correct...not bad at all...for a free upgrade. It's consdered an oceanview cabin but I wouldn't pay extra for it & would instead get an obstructed oceanview where we had a full sized window.

How would you like to take a couple of pics for us?:D

Dave

I could e-mail you a couple pics from B749 on ruby which is opposite corner and you can hold them up in front of the mirror to look at them. :D

I always take a bunch of pics when you first get in the cabin before your luggage arrives and it looks pristine.

Even got a short vid clip of the view and wake to watch when I need a cruise fix.

At work now so it will have to be later.

Russell

We just got off the Crown on saturday, we were in B755 and the only down side we noticed was noise on the balcony from the prop wash and vibration from the props and thrusters when docking. there is a occasional smell from the vents but that wasnt bad or that often. We were in B756 last year and had the same experiance.

We think aft balconies are fabulous, especially the corner afts. We have a corner aft balcony cabin booked on 3 of our next 4 cruises (the 4th being the coveted E731 mini with the extended balcony as we will have 3 people on that cruise.) Plus we like the fact that we need to do lots of walking to get to or from the cabin, helps keep that cruise weight gain down a bit. Just a word of warning, the aft cabins are addicting! :)

Archived