Viking 'Footsteps of the Cossacks' (Ukraine)

Peregrina651

Too bad all the cruises don't adopt what the Freya did on the Danube/Rhine. Each off-ship tour had both regular tours and "leisurely tours," for those who couldn't keep up the pace on the regular tour. We took the leisurely tour at the last stop and I was sorry I had not done it all along, since it covers the same ground, but at a much slower pace.

They did. We always had a "leisury" tour too. Not sure but I beleive it was group "1F"

Edited by id est

Sounds like we may be on the same cruise. We leave California on August 28 to Kiev and off to Odessa. If that's your cruise, email me (basykes@gmail.com) and maybe we can connect before we sail.

Hi Blue Angel,

I'm on the Sept. 22 cruise, I guess that's 2 cruises after yours ends, so we won't even meet in Odessa. Have fun. I hope you enjoy the Turkey extension. I was going to do that, but decided that it seemed too unstructured. I'm doing the Kiev pre-cruise extension instead, equally unstructured, but at least it will give me a chance to catch up on my expected jet lag and do things such as exchange currency before the actual cruise starts.

GCV :cool:

I hope you enjoy the Turkey extension. I was going to do that, but decided that it seemed too unstructured.:cool:

The extensions are usually unstructured (we always do at least one on each cruise [3 so far] and are doing both ends this time). There is usually a half-day official tour and after that you are on your own. We don't mind, though. Always find something fun/interesting to do!

Edited by BlueAngel1009

The extensions are usually unstructured (we always do at least one on each cruise [3 so far] and are doing both ends this time). There is usually a half-day official tour and after that you are on your own. We don't mind, though. Always find something fun/interesting to do!

Istanbul -- the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Market are a ton of fun. When we went in 1999, we bought hand painted camel bone boxes--the local equivalent of the black lacquer boxes you will see in Ukraine. You can tell the real camel bone from the fake with a BIC. If the thing melts in the flame, it is fake. The Spice Market is good for saffron, pistachios and Turkish delight.

Along the wharves you will find fish vendors selling fried fish. We didn't get there but my father had done it on a previous trip. The fish is fresh caught.

If you are interested in art and architecture, check out the mosaics at the church in Chora. You can easily take a cab to get there.

Blue Angel --

No one has talked about the Istanbul extension yet, so we hope that you can report on it. Which hotel? Where is it located? What's nearby? What you saw. What you enjoyed.

Don't forget that you need a visa to enter Turkey. You can send your passport off to the local consulate to get the visa or you can stand in line and get it when you arrive. I wish could say more about this but we were there over a decade a go and not with Viking.

Too late to send for Visa. We leave in 4 days, so I guess it's standing in line. Viking did not advise us to send ahead and let it be known we could get it IN Istanbul. I wish I had realized that sending ahead was preferable.

We have had difficulty getting Ukranian money here...Chase appears to be the only bank that does it and they are taking so long, we will be gone before our money arrives. Fortunately my husband read something about "trying to list all the ATM machines in Kiev is like trying to list all the fire hydrants," so I don't anticipate difficulty getting Ukranian money. We do have Turkish Lyre.

Too late to send for Visa. We leave in 4 days, so I guess it's standing in line. Viking did not advise us to send ahead and let it be known we could get it IN Istanbul. I wish I had realized that sending ahead was preferable.

We have had difficulty getting Ukranian money here...Chase appears to be the only bank that does it and they are taking so long, we will be gone before our money arrives. Fortunately my husband read something about "trying to list all the ATM machines in Kiev is like trying to list all the fire hydrants," so I don't anticipate difficulty getting Ukranian money. We do have Turkish Lyre.

If Viking said that you could get it in Istanbul then they are prepared to wait while you stand in line, so don't give it another thought.

DON'T WORRY about not being able to get hryvnias (UAH) before you leave. There are ATMs in the airport and there are ATMs near the docks. I've stopped worrying about getting local currency before I leave since ATMs are so much easier and cheaper to deal with. Bring an ATM card and make sure that your bank knows that you are traveling overseas. Same for your credit card issuer. Call the customer service number on the back of the card and just tell them that you are traveling overseas.

BON VOYAGE!!!!.

Oh, and saffron--buy it in a factory sealed container just to be safe--makes a great gift for the chefs in your life! I know you buy it in the Spice Market but I can't remember if you'll also find it in the Grand Bazaar; it has been a LONG time since I was there.

Did you stay at the Radisson Blu? I've enjoyed reading your trip report.

I just received my departure package I'm at the Radisson Blu.

Time to start packing.

1 old long black skirt from Chicos is in the suitcase, as are the new slacks from R E I that have legs that zip off to make capris then could zip off higher to make shorts. New comfortable jeans from NYDJ outlet - $20 on sale, are in there. Scarf/shawl is in there.

Time to hit the gym and walk 1.5 miles today on a slight incline, then further and steeper tomorrow.

I was going to write a journal, focusing on my reasons for taking this trip, but it won't be written until I get back, as I'm not taking a computer.

Well, your blog has set the bar pretty high, Blue Angel, but it has motivated me to start my owned long planned travel log of this upcoming trip.

http://noborschtforme.blogspot.com/

I'll be doing more posts in the days leading up to the trip, but probably very few on the trip itself, and then more when I get back.

Creating this was surprisingly easy, let's see if I can keep it up and it will end after the trip.

Creating this was surprisingly easy, let's see if I can keep it up and it will end after the trip.

I'm terrible at blogging while I am traveling. Even though I carry a computer with me, I can only type easily on my desktop keyboard; my travel notebook is more for all my photos. When I'm traveling, I take my notes the old-fashion way, pen to notebook, and then put the blog together after I get home. It may take me months to get a blog completely transcribed.

Edited by Peregrina651

blogging is my indulgence. I sit here -- it is 12:30 a.m. right now -- writing up the day before I go to bed. I also look stuff up, so it complements what I remember about our tours. Best of all, when I get home, it's already DONE! I bring my laptop with me and I love being alone here on the ship when everyone else is sleeping.

Grand Cruise Virgin--I love how you include your personal family history and what a treasure trove to have those wonderful photos! Will you be visiting some of the places where your relatives lived?

Edited by BlueAngel1009
make more clear to whom I was responding

We are in Kiev now; transferring to ship this afternoon. I have started my trip journal, which I intend to update daily. The index page can be found here:

http://www.funnytheworld.com

So far haven't done too much. Raining. There were too many signed up and we didn't go to the open air museum.

BlueAngel's blog is a must, must, must read. I can't wait for the next installment!!!

Yes. We were at the Radisson Blu. It's under construction, so it doesn't look so grand and rooms are small, but breakfast is incredible and it's perfectly located to everything.

Have to say that not all of the rooms are small. I saw the pictures you posted on your blog. I remember our room as being bigger than what you showed. The high ceilings and large windows helped give it a spacious feel and I don't remember the space at the foot of the bed being quite as narrow.

Bring some sort of plug, rubber stopper, basin, etc. There is NO plug in the bathroom sink and even the waste containers have holes in them, so finding a way to wash your clothes is tricky, especially given the tiny staterooms.

Another trick: We do our undies in the shower each morning (yes, DH does his own). We use the house shampoo (it is just a another high-sudsing detergent designed to cut body dirt) and take care of everything at once.

If you adding a stopper to your kit, think one size fits all.

2d1906ce-a1ea-4854-905b-dcd41d872a32_300.jpg

Bring some sort of plug, rubber stopper, basin, etc. There is NO plug in the bathroom sink and even the waste containers have holes in them, so finding a way to wash your clothes is tricky, especially given the tiny staterooms.

I have always had a plug in the bathroom sink when I went with Viking. Did you ask for one? Maybe the last people took it....