Which category is best for 1st timer?

wrg11

Which ship are you on? I recommend you look at the deck plans online and then look at the places you might frequent. Personally, I try to pick a cabin that has cabins all around me as well as above and below for sound. Some people say that there is less motion mid-ship. I like motion. I usually choose a cabin on the same end as the buffet, so I'm close to grab and go when I want something. On the ships that have a terrace pool in the back, I like an a cabin towards the back. I also choose cabins that have covered balconies. Some like sunny fully open balconies. It's all a matter of personal taste.

As said, it depends on the ship. It also depends on the types of things you like to do and where you want to go on the ship, which also depends on the ship. :)

Generally, I prefer towards the aft so if it were me, that's what I'd choose and it wouldn't make any difference whether it's Aloha or Baja, unless the ship is the Grand, Golden, Star, Sapphire or Diamond. On those ships, Aloha is the top passenger deck and if you're on Aloha, there is the buffet, pool and other public areas above you so you'd want to be very careful which cabin you choose to avoid noise. On the other hand, on those ships, being towards the aft also means you're close to the Terrace Pool, which is nice.

Towards the aft means you're closer to the buffet, the traditional dining room and Skywalkers (and the Adagio Lounge on some ships); mid-ship is closer to the pool and still close to the buffet, and the Atrium, International Cafe (depending on the ship) and Anytime dining rooms. If you're further forward, you're close to the pool, grill/pizza, and Princess theater.

Take a look at the deck plans to see where things are located on Lido and Promenade, Fiesta and Plaza decks. Then see where your cabin options are and decide which parts of the ship you'd rather be closer to.

It really does vary. My only suggestion is if you are not sure how you will react to motion, I would stay as close horizontal and vertical middles of the the ship as possible (usually Dolphin or Emerald decks). Once you know how sensitive you are, you can expand accordingly on a future trip.

Everything else is budget and preference. Do you want a balcony? Does it need to be covered? What activities and ship facilities interest you most? What is the itinerary and how much time will you be spending in room.

Example - On our last 2 princess cruises we booked a mini suite - these itineraries had lots of sea days and we wanted the extra room. For 2012, our itinerary is all long port days so we booked a smaller cabin. I like to book 'bump outs' when available for the wider field of view.

Get a window view or obstructed view at least as seeing the horizon and getting some light in the cabin is a good idea for a first cruise. Persoanll I like mid - aft and on B deck...close to the aft pool, buffet, laundry and lifts.

Hope you have a great cruise and come back for more.

I would recommend a BB category balcony on Caribe deck. The Caribe deck balconies are twice as large as the other standard balconies. I would also look for a cabin that has cabins above and below it for quiet.

The price difference on a one week cruise between BD and BB category is usually about $50-$80 per person and is well worth getting a balcony that is twice as large.

Which should DH and I choose? We really have no clue and could use your expertise:) Thanks

BD-Aloha

BE-Baja

BF-Baja

BG-Baja

Out of the choices you have listed, I would recommend the baja deck midship. My favorite balconies are on the Caribe deck, but they are more expensive than the ones you have listed. Stay with midship if you can since there is a little less motion there.

Good luck!

Which should DH and I choose? We really have no clue and could use your expertise:) Thanks

BD-Aloha

BE-Baja

BF-Baja

BG-Baja

I believe all those categories have a fully-coverd balcony. So all the cabins and balconies you list will be identical (depends on the ship, though). I agree with people who say go for mid ship. You will have the least motion there. Whichever you choose, welcome to the wonderful world of cruising....and to the highly addictive world of Cruise Critic. :D

Archived