Recipe for MDR Noodle and Crab Salad? - Also Flourless Chocolate Cake question

I have a couple questions for those of you who have mastered RCI recipes!

Firstly, does anyone have the recipe for the RCI Crab and Noodle Salad? It's sort of like a sweet vermicelli pasta salad with small crab pieces and garnished with a snow crab claw.

Also, for those who have made the flourless chocolate cake, there are a couple RCI recipes. We have the one in the most recent RCI cookbook in the Chops section I believe. If anyone has tried the different recipes, does one work better than the other?

Also has anyone tried making mini ones in a silicone pan? I don't have a spring-form pan and while I am going to have to buy some sort of pan for this, I can foresee me having many more uses for mini silicone pans, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get the mini-cakes out. Also if you've made the mini version (like is served in the dessert sampler in the MDR) by how much did the baking time change?

Thanks!

I've got a ridiculously simple, no-fail flourless chocolate cake recipe that I've been using for years. Have never tried doing it in small molds, but I'm sure it would work:

1 lb. unsalted butter

1 lb. semi-sweet chocolate (I use chips, otherwise chop it up)

1 C. sugar

1 C. water or coffee

Put it all into a large pyrex bowl and microwave at 2 minute intervals until butter and chocolate are melted - cool slightly.

Whisk 8 eggs and slowly add chocolate mixture.

Pour into 9-10" springform pan and bake at 325 for about an hour or until just set. If the bottom of your pan does not fit tightly, wrap aluminum foil around the bottom as it is a very thin batter and might ooze out.

Cool and refrigerate for about four hours before serving (topped with whipped cream) - although I served it warm just scooped out in bowls when running late once and it got devoured nonetheless.

I've got a ridiculously simple, no-fail flourless chocolate cake recipe that I've been using for years. Have never tried doing it in small molds, but I'm sure it would work:

1 lb. unsalted butter

1 lb. semi-sweet chocolate (I use chips, otherwise chop it up)

1 C. sugar

1 C. water or coffee

Put it all into a large pyrex bowl and microwave at 2 minute intervals until butter and chocolate are melted - cool slightly.

Whisk 8 eggs and slowly add chocolate mixture.

Pour into 9-10" springform pan and bake at 325 for about an hour or until just set. If the bottom of your pan does not fit tightly, wrap aluminum foil around the bottom as it is a very thin batter and might ooze out.

Cool and refrigerate for about four hours before serving (topped with whipped cream) - although I served it warm just scooped out in bowls when running late once and it got devoured nonetheless.

This sounds much less complicated! I may give it a try! I guess I need a springform pan! Thanks for sharing your recipe! Is it similar in taste to the RCI flourless chocolate cake?

I have made RCCL's flourless chocolate cake many times in the mini spring pans. The baking time is the same. I make 4 of them at a time, placing the pans close together. Spreading them apart makes them overcook slightly.

I prefer the recipe with coffee and rum in it: adds more richness to the flavor.

I put mine on little mini-plates that I get at Target for about a $1 each, and then put watered orange marmalade and raspberry jam in bowls on the side. Guests can serve themselves and have the topping of their choice. Too manyh lactose intolerants in our family, so no whipped cream topping for us!

I prefer the recipe w/o coffee and rum -- but that is just a personal taste. I don't really like the flavor of either. My recipe calls for bittersweet chocolate, but after some experimentation, I have come to prefer semi sweet -- just think it tastes better. I also don't use spring form pans. They leak, which (a) makes it impractical to cook in a water bath (which helps keep the cake from cracking while baking); and (b) can let the batter leak out leading to a poorly formed cake.

I prefer the recipe w/o coffee and rum -- but that is just a personal taste. I don't really like the flavor of either. My recipe calls for bittersweet chocolate, but after some experimentation, I have come to prefer semi sweet -- just think it tastes better. I also don't use spring form pans. They leak, which (a) makes it impractical to cook in a water bath (which helps keep the cake from cracking while baking); and (b) can let the batter leak out leading to a poorly formed cake.

Put each spring pan in their own foil "sleeve", and make sure the bottom is fitted tightly before closing the spring. I don't have any trouble with leakage.

The cake from the mini-pans cuts into 4 small pieces, which is perfect for a little chocolate after that big Thanksgiving dinner.

What do you use and how do you get your cake out of it?

I use a greased 9" round cake pan. My preferred recipe calls for chilling the cake overnight in the pan after baking. Once you take it out of the Refrigerator, you put the bottom in hot water for a few seconds. I usually loosen it around the edge with a very thin knife. You invert it over the serving dish and it pops right out.

I've got a ridiculously simple, no-fail flourless chocolate cake recipe that I've been using for years.

Never call a recipe no-fail when it is in my hands. I thought I followed the recipe exactly, but at 1 hour the edges had risen and were set and the center was sunken and just as wet as can be! Oh my oh my what have I done wrong?

I left it in for another 10 minutes and the center still isn't set. I'm going to leave it in for a bit longer.

Any idea what I may have done wrong? How long do you let the chocolate mixture cool before combining with the eggs?

Do you hand mix it all or do you use an electric mixer?

I use a greased 9" round cake pan. My preferred recipe calls for chilling the cake overnight in the pan after baking. Once you take it out of the Refrigerator, you put the bottom in hot water for a few seconds. I usually loosen it around the edge with a very thin knife. You invert it over the serving dish and it pops right out.

I did this, too, the first several times I made the FCC, but switched to the large spring pan. I had the leakage problem at first, but then started with the foil sleeves. Then, I found the mini-spring pans, and they were ideal for smaller portions, or making small gifts of the FCC. I still have to use the thin knife to get the bottoms off, too.

Never call a recipe no-fail when it is in my hands. I thought I followed the recipe exactly, but at 1 hour the edges had risen and were set and the center was sunken and just as wet as can be! Oh my oh my what have I done wrong?

I left it in for another 10 minutes and the center still isn't set. I'm going to leave it in for a bit longer.

Any idea what I may have done wrong? How long do you let the chocolate mixture cool before combining with the eggs?

Do you hand mix it all or do you use an electric mixer?

My grandmother taught me when I was 7 years old how to make tapioca pudding from scratch. She showed me how to fold a hot mixture into beaten egg whites without curdling the egg whites. I use this same technique with the FCC.

Pour a tiny bit in and stir to warm things up to the same temperature, and then pour additional small amounts. When the whole batter is warmed up then you can add it quicker. Less is more to the stirring process, so just enough to get it blended (by hand).

My recipe calls for whipped cream, and I make it stiff as I can. Then, blend the hot with the whipped cream, and then bake. Comes out great.

Your oven may not be even temperatured, so put the pan(s) in the back-middle. That's usually the right temperature since most oven heat from the bottom.

This works for me.

She showed me how to fold a hot mixture into beaten egg whites without curdling the egg whites. I use this same technique with the FCC.

Your oven may not be even temperatured, so put the pan(s) in the back-middle. That's usually the right temperature since most oven heat from the bottom.

This works for me.

I thought I did a pretty good job of slowly adding the warm mixture, but maybe not... also, maybe I over or under mixed it. I mixed by hand.

I do think my oven temps may be off a little.

Here are pictures.

This is immediately after I took it out of the oven. The center didn't "fall" because it never rose. At 1 hour the center was still very very liquidy, like not quite set pudding. I wound up baking for 1:25 until the center was set.

flourlesschocolatecake3.jpg?t=1321717332

I let it cool on the counter for an hour, then put it in the fridge overnight. This is what it looks like this morning:

flourlesschocolatecake2-1.jpg?t=1321716978

I cut a piece, and it sure is delicious! It just looks terrible. I know some berries and whipped cream would mask it on a plate when served, but it is so yummy I'd love to master it, so I'm all ears as to tips!

I thought I did a pretty good job of slowly adding the warm mixture, but maybe not... also, maybe I over or under mixed it. I mixed by hand.

I do think my oven temps may be off a little.

Here are pictures.

This is immediately after I took it out of the oven. The center didn't "fall" because it never rose. At 1 hour the center was still very very liquidy, like not quite set pudding. I wound up baking for 1:25 until the center was set.

flourlesschocolatecake3.jpg?t=1321717332

I let it cool on the counter for an hour, then put it in the fridge overnight. This is what it looks like this morning:

flourlesschocolatecake2-1.jpg?t=1321716978

I cut a piece, and it sure is delicious! It just looks terrible. I know some berries and whipped cream would mask it on a plate when served, but it is so yummy I'd love to master it, so I'm all ears as to tips!

Two things:

It DOES make fabulous chocolate pudding!!! Same taste.

I think your pan is not shallow enough, because it didn't cook the same. Maybe it's the angle of the camera, but the pan looks pretty deep. My spring pans are cake pans. I got the mini's and a 2 or 3-piece large spring pans at either Walmart or Target.

If you are using a regular cake pan, I think you are overfilling it. So, try spreading the batter over a larger area (maybe two pans) to make it shallower. I fill the pan only half full.

Hope any of this helps.

Two things:

I think your pan is not shallow enough, because it didn't cook the same. Maybe it's the angle of the camera, but the pan looks pretty deep. My spring pans are cake pans. I got the mini's and a 2 or 3-piece large spring pans at either Walmart or Target.

If you are using a regular cake pan, I think you are overfilling it. So, try spreading the batter over a larger area (maybe two pans) to make it shallower. I fill the pan only half full.

Hope any of this helps.

Thanks! I used a spring form pan from Bed Bath and Beyond. It's a 9". I put the entire batter in it. Maybe next time I should do less? I wonder if I could put the excess in a cupcake tin with the metal muffin wrappers?

Thanks! I used a spring form pan from Bed Bath and Beyond. It's a 9". I put the entire batter in it. Maybe next time I should do less? I wonder if I could put the excess in a cupcake tin with the metal muffin wrappers?

(I think we have hijacked this thread...hahahahahaha)

Yes, that's what I use the mini-pans for: the excess batter. I put any/all pans in their own tin foil "sleeve/cup" (Alexis here on CC gave me this idea in a previous thread), and then set them in a large oblong roasting pan, or my turkey roaster bottom in a water bath.

(I think we have hijacked this thread...hahahahahaha)

Yes, that's what I use the mini-pans for: the excess batter. I put any/all pans in their own tin foil "sleeve/cup" (Alexis here on CC gave me this idea in a previous thread), and then set them in a large oblong roasting pan, or my turkey roaster bottom in a water bath.

Maybe this is where I went wrong. Gerif's recipe didn't include a water bath. I noticed the one in my RCI cookbook did include a water bath though... I'll try that next time. I did use the tin foil around the pan, and it's good that I did. While I didn't lose a LOT of batter, there was a little bit of leakage.

Please, feel free to hijack. I started the thread anyway, and I'd love to master this... I just cut somes lices and put them in tupperware for a few friends at church to get opinions on if it is worth perfecting, but my initial though is that I need to master this... soooo yummy!

How deep do you do your batter in your pan?

Maybe this is where I went wrong. Gerif's recipe didn't include a water bath. I noticed the one in my RCI cookbook did include a water bath though... I'll try that next time. I did use the tin foil around the pan, and it's good that I did. While I didn't lose a LOT of batter, there was a little bit of leakage.

Please, feel free to hijack. I started the thread anyway, and I'd love to master this... I just cut somes lices and put them in tupperware for a few friends at church to get opinions on if it is worth perfecting, but my initial though is that I need to master this... soooo yummy!

How deep do you do your batter in your pan?

Hey, if it tastes like rich chocolate, EVERYBODY will love it! :D

Ummm, about halfway up the inside of the pan.

Yes, the water bath makes a difference: it distributes the heat uniformly.

So:

cake pans or spring cake pans or mini-spring cake pans

halfway filled

foil sleeves: make sure they go up high so the water won't get in; about 2-3 inches above the top of the pan

water bath

firm in the middle; test with a toothpick like a regular cake

it will settle, but it just makes it more dense and fudge-like

I put mine on little solid red square plates I got at Target one year. Wrapped them individually with red or green cellophane and a bow. Kept them in the fridge, and gave them as gifts.

I love mine with a puddle of watered orange marmalade on the side.

(Oh, my! I see FCC going on my Thanksgiving menu!).

Hey, if it tastes like rich chocolate, EVERYBODY will love it! :D

Ummm, about halfway up the inside of the pan.

Yes, the water bath makes a difference: it distributes the heat uniformly.

Thanks soooo much for all of your help! I just put the mini pans on my Christmas wish list. I think that the smaller pans would certainly bake more uniformly and I'll try the water bath next time! I really appreciate all your suggestions!

Thanks soooo much for all of your help! I just put the mini pans on my Christmas wish list. I think that the smaller pans would certainly bake more uniformly and I'll try the water bath next time! I really appreciate all your suggestions!

No problem, I'm happy to help! Geez, my stomach is growling like crazy, and I can't figure out why???????

I need to eat!! :D:D

Archived