Jost Van Dyke or Norman Island Tour

Jessiebaby18_

We booked the Norman tour for the snorkling. Also the catamaran sails right from the same place where our cruise ship docks.

Gary

___

When are you going with aristocat? I am looking for people to join up with Feb 9th to Norman Island Sounds like a fantastic tour

Hey!! Going on Jan 29 to Tortola...... RCL - Tuff calll - is there much oppurtunity for snorkelling at Jost Van Dyke/ on the way??

Jessiebaby18 - We are sailing with you. If you haven't already, come join the roll call for your sailing http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1204158

As the previous posters have said, it depends on what you are looking to experience.

We went to JVD (great beach time) last year, but after talking with Captain Steve/Aristocat decided to go to the Norman Islands for some fantastic snorkeling.

Come join us to the Norman Islands! Easy walk from the Serenade to meet the Lionheart.

Hi!

We went to Tortola on 11/16, we did the BVI360 Jost VanDyke, this was my 2nd time going to the Soggy Dollar (last January with Tortola Charters) and it was great!! The beach is awesome, something that you just do not want to miss...BVI360 was great!! and there is no words for the beach...wonderful or even a dream. If there is 1 excursion that you can not miss, it is this one...:D

To prevent any disappointment for folks who are looking at a beach destination in thr BVI for their first time in Tortola I would like to better clarify the beach options if that's OK?

White Bay on Jost is a nice, white sand beach with several beach bars. It is very busy during the day because a flotilla of cats and motor boats stop there throughout the day. So it is not a good destination for those wanting to enjoy nature and a relaxing beach. Great spot to enjoy drinks at the Soggy $, Ivan's Stress Free Bar, or Seddy's One Love. And you can find good music in the afternoon snd evening from Rubin Chinnery at Ivan's. But it gets quiet at night.

Foxy's over the hill in Great Harbor is a fun place to enjoy the owner (Foxy) playing guitar and telling his stories. This is a popular spot for New Years Eve. Great Harbor does not have the nice beach but is a good spot for mooring.

Cane Garden Bay (CGB) on the west side of Tortola is the primary beach destination for cruisers. It is home to several beach bars/restaurants like Myett's, Stanley's, Rymers, Big Banana, and Quito's. Quito Rymer is a popular reggae/island recording artist who plays at his bar Thurs & Fri evenings.

CGB becomes the most crowded bay in the BVI when cruise ships are in and those of us staying on Tortola will go to Smuggler's or off island to escape the throng. But if you like a crowded or more active vibe CGB is your best choice. Good beer and food options as well as some watersports and a water taxi to Jost.

Smuggler's Cove is the most beautiful and natural beach with calm waves on Tortola in our opinion. Great snorkeling and gorgeous views of Jost and Sandy Cay. Patricia operates a portable grill and serves some of the best jerk chicken, dogs, and burgers on the island. She also has a small bar with cold Red Stripes.

Smuggler's is a little harder to drive to and has just portapotties so it gets less of the crowds. Nigel rents smorkel equipment and the lounges are free, scattered around the powdered sugar sand.

Long Bay (Tortola) is just before Smuggler's and is a long, beautiful stretch of sand you'll see on postcards. Great spot to walk or enjoy watching the pelicans dive. Home of the Long Bay Resort.

Long Bay (Beef Island) is a very nice beach locals go to, very natural with no facilities.

Trellis Bay near Long Bay Beef is a popular mooring bay with some fun bars and evening fire shows.

Brewers Bay is also a nice spot popular with surfers because of the waves.

There are also several nice beaches on Virgin Gorda (plus the famous Baths) and Anegada for those who have more time in the BVI.

And of course there are excellent snorkel and dive sites around Norman Island.

So the BVI offer several options for beach-goers, just depends on the experience you want to have. For a more active vibe hit CGB or White Bay, for snorkeling Smuggler's, and for quiet Smuggler's, Brewers and other bays near there, or beaches on VG or Anegada. Enjoy your time in our favorite islands!;)

We are a family of four who have booked a day sail to Norman Island with the highly reviewed Aristocat Charters for our day in port on Tortola Dec 28th. We will be sailing and snorkeling the Caribbean seas around Norman Island, with lunch included. We need more sailors to make this plan a go. If you are interested in joining us, contact Captain Steve at http://www.aristocatcharters.com.

We are a family of four who have booked a day sail to Norman Island with the highly reviewed Aristocat Charters for our day in port on Tortola Dec 28th. We will be sailing and snorkeling the Caribbean seas around Norman Island, with lunch included. We need more sailors to make this plan a go. If you are interested in joining us, contact Captain Steve at http://www.aristocatcharters.com.

It looks like the Norwegian Dawn, Caribbean Princess and Fred Olson Braemar will be in port on Dec 28. Maybe you could post on the roll call for the cruises you are not on, if you haven't already. Good Luck! If you do get to go with Captain Steve, please post how you liked it. Maybe that will encourage someone from Feb 9 to go. Thanks, Mary

Jessiebaby18 - We are sailing with you. If you haven't already, come join the roll call for your sailing http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1204158

As the previous posters have said, it depends on what you are looking to experience.

We went to JVD (great beach time) last year, but after talking with Captain Steve/Aristocat decided to go to the Norman Islands for some fantastic snorkeling.

Come join us to the Norman Islands! Easy walk from the Serenade to meet the Lionheart.

Hi crusinbikers and jessiebaby18! Please post your experience with Aristocat, it might help me get people interested in the trip I would like to do Feb 9 if you really have a great time! Sure seems like a fun trip to me. Enjoy! Mary

Hello Blue Water, I'm wondering if Smugglers beach would be a good option if I can't get enough people to join an Aristocat trip to Norman Island. We have our own snorkel equipment. We would not like Cane Garden Bay to busy and commercial, and Jost would be fun to say we were there, but one Painkiller would have me sleeping on the beach! I would much rather snorkel. Would the taxi driver be reliable to return to pick us up? Also do you know how much time we would need to comfortably get back to the boat from Smugglers? It leaves at 3:30 EST, which would be 4:30 Tortola time I think. Thanks, Mary

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off The Carnival Freedom. Did the day sail with Aristocat. It was WONDERFUL. Wife's first time snorkeling and loved it. To give you an idea. They were docked in 30feet deep water and sitting on the boat I could see the sea floor below us clearly. When snorkeling in the 3 different spots it was crystal clear. They could put an eye chart on the sea floor and I felt like I could read it.

Captain Steve was hilarious. They served very good food, some of our roll call even asked for the recipe. The rum drinks were great. Beer, soda, and water were also provided. We had 12 people on the boat and it didn't feel crowded.

They also have an ocean kayak. So I took that out for a spin at the second stop to have a little fun.

Which ship are you on...Princess or NCL?

I'm on NCL and I'm in port that day. I am thinking about this trip. What time are you going/ coming back. Just want to make sure we are on the same schedule..... Right now I have a trip booked through the cruise line but I am not sure what I want to do.

Hello Blue Water' date=' I'm wondering if Smugglers beach would be a good option if I can't get enough people to join an Aristocat trip to Norman Island. We have our own snorkel equipment. We would not like Cane Garden Bay to busy and commercial, and Jost would be fun to say we were there, but one Painkiller would have me sleeping on the beach! I would much rather snorkel. Would the taxi driver be reliable to return to pick us up? Also do you know how much time we would need to comfortably get back to the boat from Smugglers? It leaves at 3:30 EST, which would be 4:30 Tortola time I think. Thanks, Mary[/quote']

You would love Smuggler's, check the thread titled "Nice beach not too far from port" for more info. The driver can tell you when he will need to be there to pick you up, I would allow for some delay to be safe. You or Patricia can also call a cab from there.

• 1 month later...

The aristocrat tour tour to Norman island was amazing! Good food and drinks too! We had some rain so I was thankful we did not go to Jost. Captain Gibbo stopped at three places for snorkeling. I have not done a lot of snorkeling so I cannot judge on the reefs, but I certainly enjoyed the snorkeling!

Archived