Govenor's beach, Jack's shack or area clost to port?

vmom

Last year, we walked down to Jack's Shack after hearing so much about it. We too were very disappointed because Jack and his wife were very non-welcoming and unfriendly to us. We did order food and drinks which were nothing to write home about. At least the girl who served us the food was nice, but we will definitely not go back there on our upcoming cruise. Instead, we will enjoy sitting on the chairs just off the beach and under the swaying palms at Margaritaville while listening to their music. :D

• 3 months later...
Based on recommendations on this board, while on a port stop at Grand Turk my husband and I ventured down the beach eager to hang at Jack's Shack for a brew and more. Have to say that prices were higher than another local establishment between Margaritaville and Jack's and more importantly, we saw some racist behavior happening at Jack's which totally made us not want to spend another cent there (we only bought 2 beers). Disgusted with what we saw we left and went back down toward Margaritaville and had a wonderful afternoon.

So, if you care about how human beings in general are treated, I wouldn't recommend going to Jack's.

Can you explain the racist behavior:eek: cause I think I pick up on some of that myself? I just want to be sure I seeing what I was seeing:confused:.

I know we are in the minority, but we did not care for Jacks. It was a little longer of walk than we thought (no big deal), but when we got there it was unimpressive.

Jack and his wife were not that friendly and the food was just okay. It was $30 for 2 jerk chickens and 2 beers. We stopped at Margaritaville on the way back and it looked much better with a large pool, live music, and people really enjoying themselves.

Jacks was way over rated in our experience.

Same here.

Can you explain the racist behavior:eek: cause I think I pick up on some of that myself? I just want to be sure I seeing what I was seeing:confused:.

So you know, that post is over a year old and the poster hasn't been online since December, so you may have to wait for a reply.

• 2 weeks later...

This will be our first time in Grand Turks & Caicos, someone mentnioned margaritaville, but I don't want something/place thats way overcrowded. I'm thinking more Governors beach. We love to walk so thats not an issue at all for us. Is area from cruise ship via walking safe to this beach?

Can you give me a good feel for the island from getting off the ship in this port. I've been to many others, not here but will be very soon :0)

THANKS so much!!!

• 3 weeks later...

There is a beach at Margaritaville that is not loud. The music is around the pool/bar area.

The sandy beach outside it has tons of free chaises often under palm trees. There is a roped off swimming area and you can snorkel in it. It is like a private island without the food or tendering.

When you get off the ship, you will see a sandy beach area to the left and a rocky beach area to the right. Most prefer the left side if you are getting in the water.

• 2 weeks later...

Unlike some of the comments on here, me and my wife enjoyed our day at Jack's Shack. I rented two chairs and an umbrella for the day. Cold beer,music, grilled chicken, and not crowded at all. I was treated as good as anyone else there. I started a tab when i got there and paid up at the end of the day. We did get a look at Margaritaville walking back to the ship. Way too crowded for me.

Archived