Galveston Fog Delays

cruiser fanatic

Sailing out on 12/29. Checked extended forecast for Galveston. Lows in lower 30's, highs in lower 50's. Fog machine activated? (I know, I know-who knows.)

You're probably OK. In this case the air and water temp are both "cold". The problem comes when the air temp is warmer - usually!

Between October and April there are 31 30 31 31 29 31 30 = 213 days

Fog is relative to mother nature and does not occur every day, week or month nor last for long periods. As they say in Texas, if you don't like the weather just wait one day!!!!!

Its occurrence is as varible as the weather each YEAR. Two years ago there was not a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico.

If you are crusing one time in Galveston during those months

your odds are very very good you will not be affected by the fog.

Fog and special circumstances occur all along the Gulf Coast.....

They can be from Galveston to Key West causing interuption to cruise traffic.

Complications could be

snow and ice in the midwest and northeast affecting air traffic and cruises,

a hurricane in the Atlantic,

a hurricane in the Carribean,

a chemical spill on the Mississippi.

fog on the Gulf Coast.

strikes in Europe.

Whether it is a cruise or cross country road trip there can be complications.

Make your flexible plans.....buy insurance...... go...... and enjoy your trip.:D

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand, Not a worry in the world,

a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!! Zac Brown Band!!

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."

Jacques-Yves Cousteau

-

It has been a while since we were delayed in Galveston which was the Ecstasy in 09 I have forgotten what happens if you are fogged in what do they do and if you are delayed the whole day into the night where do you sleep and where do you eat in the buffet or dinning room? Just wondering because we are sailing the Triumph Dec 15 and I know Galveston is known for fog Delays in December.

We just experienced a day-long fog delay returning to Galveston on the Triumph on December 15. We were very pleased with the ship's communication and accommodations for us during our wait. Meals were served on Lido and the dining room, and karaoke, movies and other activities were offered. Fortunately, we were self-checking off the ship and still had all of our luggage in our room. I haven't experienced much fog, but found that despite the fact that the ship was surrounded by a blanket of fog, at times there was sun shining straight down on our balcony! So, although we missed our flight, we had a relaxing extra day at sea and even caught some rays. At times, we could still get local cell/wi-fi service and were able to book a hotel and flight with our phones once we were told we were heading into the port. We finally got off the ship around 7:00. p.m. I felt terrible for the poor souls we walked by out of customs who were still waiting to board. Takeaways for us - if you're not staying an extra night after the cruise, at least consider booking a later flight than you usually would. Also, make sure you have what you need in your room in case you find yourself on board for another day (or two).

• 2 weeks later...

We were delayed about 3+ hours Jan 1 due to fog in Galveston port. They extended breakfast hours and said you could stay in your stateroom and sleep off your New Year's eve hangovers. But they didnt offer any sort of mean to communicate with your airlines, etc. My advise is avoid Galveston unless you are driving there or have your heart set on a specific ship or ports, and be flexible about spending more time at sea. Also, do the self assist so if you are delayed you have access to your luggage. Better yet, cruise out of a better port, like Everglads, Miami or NYC where they know how to move people quickly.

We were delayed about 3+ hours Jan 1 due to fog in Galveston port. They extended breakfast hours and said you could stay in your stateroom and sleep off your New Year's eve hangovers. But they didnt offer any sort of mean to communicate with your airlines, etc. My advise is avoid Galveston unless you are driving there or have your heart set on a specific ship or ports, and be flexible about spending more time at sea. Also, do the self assist so if you are delayed you have access to your luggage. Better yet, cruise out of a better port, like Everglads, Miami or NYC where they know how to move people quickly.

Between October and April there are 31 30 31 31 29 31 30 = 213 days

Fog is relative to mother nature and does not occur every day, week or month nor last for long periods anywhere along the entire Gulf Coast including Florida.

Its occurrence is as varible as the weather each YEAR. Two years ago there was not a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico.

If you are crusing one time in Galveston during those months

your odds are very very good you will not be affected by the fog.

It can happen anywhere along the Gul Coast.

Fog and special circumstances occur all along the Gulf Coast.....

They can be from Galveston to Key West causing interuption to cruise traffic.

Complications could be

snow and ice in the midwest and northeast affecting air traffic and cruises,

a hurricane in the Atlantic,

a hurricane in the Carribean,

a chemical spill on the Mississippi.

ash across Europe,

fog all along the entire Gulf Coast,

flights in Lisbon were cancelled because of strikes in Paris and Europe.

on our last flight into Amsterdam we get off plane....

and our connecting flights are cancelled

Whether it is a cruise or cross country road trip there can be complications.

Make your flexible plans.....buy insurance...... go...... and enjoy your trip.:D

Our worse cruising experiences have been in Florida:

In Ft Lauderdale we didn't make a 11:30 am air flight......

not being able get off ship. We were first off ship, and close to airport! Why?

In Port Canaveral we barely made it to the ship for departure,

because of weather and complications with transfers from Orlando to port. Why?

In Miami we had trouble getting on ship because of ship complications. Why?

In Tampa had serious fog problems recently. Why?

What about all the terrible weather conditions recently in Florida when the the ships had trouble getting in and out of port and all the complaints! Why?

It happens everywhere!!!!!!

I quess everyone should avoid Florida and not cruise out of Florida or Europe either,

unless its meets with your conditions.!!!!!!

Glad you have all figured out! :rolleyes:

Sounds like most of your complaints

are about mother nature and your cruise line.

We don't have it all figured when we cruise out of Florida either,

but we will keep cruising in and out of there! :)

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure! :D

Regardless who you are with, or where you are!

Archived