Maya Chan or Tropicante?

canuckcruiselover

I and my wife went to Tropicante last feb.

I will be returning there this Feb.

Here Is why.

It is close to the ship. We paid $2 dollars to get there and $1 dollar to get back.

It costs you nothing to go there. You just need to buy your food and drink from Steve. He is very very fair on his price. he is Great and he runs his staff to make your stay with him very enjoyable. I just loved it. I would email him and he will save you a lounger and umbrella. This is where we did most of our shopping. Price was great. when you take the cab just walk to the beach and you will find it. Don't get fooled by the other places Steve will be waiting. Also last year he had internet(wireless) on the beach and he allowed you to call the States for nothing. I cant wait to get back there.

Dan;)

Heard back from Maya Chan and invoice from paypal. Wants half now and the rest 14 days before arrival. Didn't expect the full payment beforehand, but I guess with a limited number of guests they have to be more careful. Hoping the day will be sunny and warm.

Just thought I would add my link from our visit to Maya Chan in September. The staff is wondering and the food is EXCELLENT! A very relaxing day with plenty of activities from the nicest staff you'll ever meet.

My review with a link to pictures at the bottom of it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30654861&postcount=12

I went to Maya Chan last week. The facilities were really nice, as was the staff. I loved the large palapas, and the overall tropical feel. There were probably only 15 - 20 people there on that day. It was very peaceful, and the only place in any of the ports where I was not hounded to buy goods with every step. The only drawback is that the water was not as nice as in some of the other places we saw along the way. Also, I don't think I drank enough to get my money's worth, but that is my fault. :o I would probably try Tropicante next time, just for comparison purposes.

I think I will email Steve at Tropicante. We have two expensive excursion already booked and I really didn't want to do that in Costa Maya as well. It seems like Tropicante is a better fit for us as my parents don't drink and we only have a short amount of time on the island so my hubby and I will not be drinking more than one drink a piece. However we will have lunch there and hang out. Sounds like the perfect option for us. Most of our roll call will be at Maya Chan though :(. Thanks for all the great info on both options.

• 3 weeks later...

Do either of the places serve any frozen fruity drinks - pina collada, strawberry daiquiri. I am thinking about the Maya Chan, but since I don't drink alcohol, I would want to make sure I could get some yummy virgin drinks if I'm paying for the all inclusive. I couldn't see a blender in the picture of the bar someone posted.

Do either of the places serve any frozen fruity drinks - pina collada, strawberry daiquiri. I am thinking about the Maya Chan, but since I don't drink alcohol, I would want to make sure I could get some yummy virgin drinks if I'm paying for the all inclusive. I couldn't see a blender in the picture of the bar someone posted.

Yes they make the fruity drinks any way you want. I only drink fruity drinks, some alcoholic and others virgin, and they made me some. They also have soda there as well.

Well we did Maya Chan last October and it was a great place. the water was murky and the bottom was gooey (and I live in Florida so I know beaches) but the owners were great and the food and drinks were great and I love that it is very private (not many people, no big crowds) and nice seating areas and all the equipment is your to use at no extra cost. the ride was a bumpy one for sure but soon enough we were there. When you first get there arrange for when you want to go back ask to be on the first van if you want to get back to to a little shopping at the pier before headed back to the ship. but do not fear everyone will get back to the ship on time before departure....since this time costa maya is replacing the time we would have been in Belize I'm hoping we have a longer time at maya chan this time :) I was tempted to try Tropicante but it seems less private and everything is ala carte which can add up quick. I think I will stick to maya chan and just not let my feet touch the bottom LOL!!!

For the Tropicante, I just emailed Steve and he replied that chairs would be reserved for us. We will spend the day there and enjoy drinks/food right on the beach front.

We're going to the Tropicante Feb. 8.

We reserved just yesterday, rather last minute as our itinerary changed.

Steve and I exchanged a couple of emails, and he was extremely nice:

Hola Tammy,

Glad to hear you'll be visiting us here in Costa Maya/Mahahual! Still have loungers for February 8th, so consider 2 of them set for you guys. Those have small drink tables and umbrellas upon request when you have had enough sun. My guys will get you a table when you are ready for lunch and hold your loungers. We did not have a ship scheduled for that day, so these diversions from Belize are very welcome here. It seems a lot of people on that ship are surprised to find we have a town here outside the port, much less that it has the best beach in the Western Caribbean! Reef protected so it is always calm and perfect. You'll love it! Tell all to come into town. They, and I, will thank you!

As for how to find us, you can catch a taxi from outside or inside the port facility and we recommend you take the outside taxis. Shuttles and taxi vans from inside charge $3 (they can be talked down the $2 if you say you are going outside) but the real problem is they drop you at specific spots in town and all the aggressive vendors and restaurant hustlers hang out at these locations. Getting out of the taxi/shuttle is like jumping into a pool of sharks! If you leave the port, that means you walk out of the building area, across a courtyard and out a chain link gate, you can then walk just a couple hundred yards to a real taxi stand in front of the Hard Rock Cafe. These guys charge $2 per person and do specific point drop offs, so just ask the driver to take you to the Tropicante. Takes 3-4 minutes. They will drop you at Calle Cherna, next to the football field and you walk toward the ocean 50 yards to the Malecon. Turn left and we are the second place. Very easy and most drivers will point you the right way too.

If by some chance they drop you someplace else, and they might still drop you at their cousin’s place, hey it’s Mexico, it is not really a big deal. The downtown beach is only about 6 blocks long so you'll find us. My sign is large and easy to see. If you have to find us, many will tell you we no longer exist or even worse, that their restaurant used to be the Tropicante, a new trick many are using. Laugh it off, we do, and don't worry, you'll find us. The locals can be a little tricky like this but they are seldom unfriendly and you should have absolutely no safety concerns while you are in Costa Maya. We are a very small and friendly town, everyone knows everyone, so you can move about without concern. Mahahual, the name of our town, means Mayberry in Mayan!

If you have not seen my site yet, be sure to check it out http://www.sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html for photos, menu and general info. Also lots of links for activities like snorkel, massage, fishing and so forth, that are right on our beach. If you need help with any activities, your waiter will get those set up for you the day you arrive. Come hungry, we really do have the best food in town, and get ready for the best beach day of your trip! Also let me know if you have other questions and I look forward to meeting you guys February 8th. Cheers!

I totally agree with Pat. We were at Maya Chan 3 weeks ago. They limit the number of guests and treat you like family. The road there has many potholes but that is the only negative. The food was delicious with the best guacamole I've ever tasted. The bartender will make sure you are pleased. They are there totally to make you feel pampered and relaxed. This will be my only excursion when I am in Costa Maya.

We were at Maya Chan the first week of January on our port stop. It is about 15 minutes from port whereas Tropicante is very close to port. I haven't been to Tropicante myself but did overhear a few people on the ship who weren't too happy about it - but I don't know the details. I can tell you that, despite bad weather and not being able to snorkel due to the previous night's storm, we still loved Maya Chan. We took our two teenagers and even though they can't drink - it was still money well spent. If you need to stay connected they also offer free wi-fi. Food was great, drinks were too. My husband kayaked, my daughter floated in the tube. They have hammocks, adirondack chairs and private palapas with a bed. It is a very cozy and private beach area. When deciding where to book our beach day, the other one I liked was Nohoch Kay. I would like to try that one if we go back but will be nervous not to return to Maya Chan.

The good thing is - if you have never been there you won't have anything to compare Tropicante too and you will probably enjoy it all the same.

Oh - and they fixed the road. Not many potholes!

Have fun!

Edited by kate1970
forgot something

• 2 weeks later...

We were really torn between Tropicante and Maya Chan, but we ended up reserving loungers with Tropicante. The cost, even if we do the $20.00/pp snorkel with Tropicante, was a big factor. Also, the proximity to the ship. Maya Chan looks gorgeous, and the palapas are tough to resist, but seeing as we are going some expensive excursions, we wanted to keep Costa Maya under $100 for the family.

I am sure you cannot go wrong with any of them, no one on trip adviser has anything negative to say.

My hubby and I spent the day at the Tropicante about a week ago. It was a really good day. Our ship was only in port from 7-3, so we got off at about 9 a.m., took the cab instructions that Steve sent when we reserved a couple of loungers, and headed to the Tropicante. The taxi ride was only $2 per person each way and they took us to the Tropicante. We only had to get out and walk toward the water and there it was. The staff had my name and took us to two loungers right along the beach and strategically placed an umbrella for shade. We ordered drinks, (yes, it was noon somewhere, not my usual drinking time, but the Pina Colada was

delish:D.) Steve came around and said hello and chatted with all the cruisers. Super nice guy. His staff was terrific and checked on us frequently. I had a great massage....$25 for an hour! We had a tasty lunch too. I would recommend the Tropicante to any one who wants a relaxing reasonably priced day. Buckets of 6 beers were $10...what more can I say.

• 4 weeks later...
We were at Maya Chan the first week of January on our port stop. It is about 15 minutes from port whereas Tropicante is very close to port. I haven't been to Tropicante myself but did overhear a few people on the ship who weren't too happy about it - but I don't know the details. I can tell you that, despite bad weather and not being able to snorkel due to the previous night's storm, we still loved Maya Chan. We took our two teenagers and even though they can't drink - it was still money well spent. If you need to stay connected they also offer free wi-fi. Food was great, drinks were too. My husband kayaked, my daughter floated in the tube. They have hammocks, adirondack chairs and private palapas with a bed. It is a very cozy and private beach area. When deciding where to book our beach day, the other one I liked was Nohoch Kay. I would like to try that one if we go back but will be nervous not to return to Maya Chan.

The good thing is - if you have never been there you won't have anything to compare Tropicante too and you will probably enjoy it all the same.

Oh - and they fixed the road. Not many potholes!

Have fun!

We are close to booking Maya Chan for our beach resort when we come to Costa Maya in March. We are intrigued by the bike tour in addition to all the other amenities, but have not seen any mention of it any these boards..has anyone done the bike tour that's included at the resort, or heard about it?

We are close to booking Maya Chan for our beach resort when we come to Costa Maya in March. We are intrigued by the bike tour in addition to all the other amenities, but have not seen any mention of it any these boards..has anyone done the bike tour that's included at the resort, or heard about it?

Although we did not (couldn't) do the bike ride, they do offer it. (We have a 3 year old, so we would not be able to go).

If you look on their website, they say this about their bike tour:

"Land lovers visiting Maya Chan have the opportunity to meander down the coastal road with one of our experienced staff. Bikers have the opportunity to discover hidden treasures of the mangrove and coastal areas. This isn’t a mountain biking trek, so don’t let the threat of a little exercise scare you.

Our mangrove is just one of the ecosystems intertwined with the famous Meso-American reef. It is home to jaguars, monkeys, and over 540 species of birds. Coconuts grow wild on the surrounding palms and termites build nests larger than beach balls. During the rainy season the mangrove fills with fresh water and becomes a breeding ground for fish and crabs. Our bike ride will visit one branch of the mangrove as it drains into the open sea. Tannins rich in vitamins and minerals flow freely into the shallows where gulls, pelicans, and a mysterious alligator which has only been seen by a handful of locals, patiently wait for their supper. Because the fishing is easy in this nutrient-rich area, it is also a favorite fishing spot for the locals."

:)

We were just there at Maya Chan and it was the best day of the cruise.

We had floats that held your drinks, and the guys would wade out to bring you another drink or some chips & guacamole. The food and service was great. Pure relaxation. Our little piece of paradise.

We were just there at Maya Chan and it was the best day of the cruise.

We had floats that held your drinks, and the guys would wade out to bring you another drink or some chips & guacamole. The food and service was great. Pure relaxation. Our little piece of paradise.

Thanks Diane... My main concerns about Maya Chan is the complaints I've read about the trash and the water.

People say that the adjacent lot to Maya Chan has trash everywhere, and it even gets in the water and blows into the Maya Chan resort. (it gets picked up but still, kinda gross)

Some people say that the water isn't worth getting in because nothing to see (no good snorkeling) and the trash issue. They say the water isn't pretty blue there, it's murky & greenish.

Our daughter has some chronic health issues with her GI system, so a little worried having her exposed to dirty water and trash.

Also, would like to go to a beach with the pretty blue water... unless, is there no such thing in Costa Maya??

Am I overreacting to the trash? Here's where I see those comments:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g499450-d1507174-Reviews-Maya_Chan_Beach-Mahahual_Costa_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

We were at Tropicante in Sept and will be going back in May. We LOVED this place! We didnt want to leave and felt so at home. Steve is a wonderful guy and will talk to you all day long. He has a lot of interesting stories about him and about the town and such. You can beat the service you will get. The prices cant be beat. And the food is AWESOME!!

I cant say for sure what Maya Chan is like. But i do know i was doing research on it about a month ago. Because i thought it would be nice to try something different. As i was looking at pictures, the water did not impress me one bit. The water at Tropicante was BEAUTIFUL! you could see right through it! It was like aqua colored glass! And i never once saw any trash lying around at Tropicante either. They were very neat and orderly.

But i have seen a few people ask for pictures of Tropicante and i happen to have a few, i will post them for everybody!

P9080404.jpg

LOOK at that water!!

P9080402.jpg

Thats what it looks like under the water!

P9080398.jpg

Picture of the beach from the water.

P9070374.jpg

I have a few pictures of what we had to eat....the food was VERY good!! Enjoy!

Yummy Guac!

P9070386.jpg

Chicken Nachos! (Sooo good!)

P9070387.jpg

Fish Tacos!

P9070388.jpg

Fried Burritos! (These were REALLY good!)

P9070389.jpg

Hope these pix help, give an idea what some of the food looks like. ;)