Maya Chan or Tropicante?

canuckcruiselover

We loved Maya Chan. The price includes taxi both directions from inside the gates, delivered right to the entrance. We were given the quick tour of the facilities and taken to our little paradise spot. Before I even had my beach coverup off I had a margarita in hand and a fruit cup. It was followed very shortly with a bowl of chips and the best guacamoly. They have lockers, showers and a flush toilet kept very clean.

The beach is not the best. It is shallow for quite aways, they have problems with sea grass that they try to keep swept up. We were the farthest group on the one end, there is a building still in progress and the grounds around it were not trash laden but it wasn't picked up. My sister kyacked and I floated in my tube and enjoyed the sunshine, the company of fellow travellers. The food was great, the service even better. I will try and load some pics.

i4jzp0.jpg

2q07zgo.jpg

18i24y.jpg

2hzmmbm.jpg

We were at the Tropicante last week. The shrimp/fish cerviche was HUGE, fresh, tasty and inexpensive. The drinks were delicious and inexpensive. The service was fast. What more could you ask for? I give two thumbs UP to Steve and his crew at the Tropicante.

Steve has figured out the winning combination for a relaxed, casual and friendly beach front bar. No shiny sterile "corporate" tourist trap bar here.

The Tropicante is the real deal.

Edited by H&J

• 1 month later...

If by some chance they drop you someplace else, and they might still drop you at their cousin’s place, hey it’s Mexico, it is not really a big deal. The downtown beach is only about 6 blocks long so you'll find us. My sign is large and easy to see. If you have to find us, many will tell you we no longer exist or even worse, that their restaurant used to be the Tropicante, a new trick many are using. Laugh it off, we do, and don't worry, you'll find us. The locals can be a little tricky like this

I'm researching where to go on my upcoming December cruise and have already been to Maya Chan. This was one place I was considering and after reading this, it kind of worries me now (having to catch my own taxi). :eek:

The guy in the pic pulls you on the boat and its a nice long ride down the coast. You give him a thumbs up and he goes fast. He knocked us all off once. lol

It sounds like a lot of fun, but not something I could do with my 3 year old. :( Maybe some day.

• 4 weeks later...

I just sent Steve an email to reserve for my family of 5. Maya Chan sounds like fun, but we are only in port from 7-2. 3 in our group does not drink--my parents and my 17yo son, so it did not seem like it would be worth the money for us. Plus we are doing some expensive excursions the other days when we are at port longer. My husband is really looking forward to the $25 massages!!

I think all of the choices sounds like fun......so much fun to be had, so little time!!!

• 3 months later...

We are only in port for like 4 hours. Trying to decide if it is worth it to tropicana.

Massage sounds good. But did anyone do the snorkel trip. Curious where it takes off from and if is worth it. Need to know how much time it took

They use a snorkel boat company that is located right in front of their place. Might check with Steve, his email is all over the boards, but I think the entire trip takes about an hour and a half. An hour in the water and a half hour for going to and from the reef they take you to. I think they charge $20 per person for restaurant guests but again, check with Steve. From the port to downtown just takes a few minutes each way and taxis are $2 a person each way.

• 2 months later...
Maya Chan is rated #1 for a reason. Here are some pictures to help you decide.

Based upon the pictures, it confirms what I have been told before. The waters are not clear at all ... not sure I would JUMP at the chance for an all inclusive package at a place with less than stellar accommodations (as obvious by the pictures). In addition, based upon the various cruises I have been on, we tend to arrive in Costa Maya right AFTER lunch ... so I am not sure I would want to PAY for lunch on the island, when I can eat on the ship.

Based upon the pictures, it confirms what I have been told before. The waters are not clear at all ... not sure I would JUMP at the chance for an all inclusive package at a place with less than stellar accommodations (as obvious by the pictures). In addition, based upon the various cruises I have been on, we tend to arrive in Costa Maya right AFTER lunch ... so I am not sure I would want to PAY for lunch on the island, when I can eat on the ship.

I honestly think that people love to go here and rate this place #1 because of the service itself. The food is WONDERFUL, the hospitality is above and beyond, and Mark and his crew really cater and pamper you. It's a relaxing, wonderful day here.

However, I agree about the water and clarity. Every picture I have ever seen of this place (along with when we were there) has had the same colored water, sea grass, conditions. I have also read before that it's on the same side (and of course ocean water) that they are all on. So, therefore you will get the same conditions no matter where you go. This makes me wonder because next month when we are there, we will be trying out a new place that just opened up this past January, on down the road a ways called Almaplena. If you look at their website, it shows the beautiful crystal clear blue water (even though they are located on the same side and down the road :confused:). I have contacted them and they "assure" me that the water is just like it is in the pictures. Only a select few cruises on this board has been there and agreed that the water was beautiful. So, I guess I'll find out for sure next month and can report back. If you are interested, you could check their website out as well. :)

Maya Chan sent an information sheet about how they respect the mangrove swamps and do not participate in dredging for the sake of making the water pretty. I followed up with some online research about how cutting the mangrove swamps is really endangering the ecosystem there, and it's quite true. I respect Maya Chan even more after reading this and feel great about our choice to spend time there. They seem to really strive to be a "low environmental impact" destination.

I honestly think that people love to go here and rate this place #1 because of the service itself. The food is WONDERFUL, the hospitality is above and beyond, and Mark and his crew really cater and pamper you. It's a relaxing, wonderful day here.

However, I agree about the water and clarity. Every picture I have ever seen of this place (along with when we were there) has had the same colored water, sea grass, conditions. I have also read before that it's on the same side (and of course ocean water) that they are all on. So, therefore you will get the same conditions no matter where you go. This makes me wonder because next month when we are there, we will be trying out a new place that just opened up this past January, on down the road a ways called Almaplena. If you look at their website, it shows the beautiful crystal clear blue water (even though they are located on the same side and down the road :confused:). I have contacted them and they "assure" me that the water is just like it is in the pictures. Only a select few cruises on this board has been there and agreed that the water was beautiful. So, I guess I'll find out for sure next month and can report back. If you are interested, you could check their website out as well. :)

-You may be correct ... I was merely responding to someone who posted pictures ... suggesting they would speak for themselves. Anyone of us online are likely familiar with various Caribbean beaches ... whether available as a ship's excursion, or private excursion. I do not think I am the only person who would opt for an ugly beach, when quality beaches are readily available ... that was the intent behind my previous post.

On the other hand, if someone is going to take a 20 minute taxi-ride (each way), for lack-luster ambiance, only to receive good service ... one must wonder why they left the ship in the first place. There is no need for a commute ... no need to pay for food ... and you get excellent service onboard (unless you selected an inferior cruise line ... but that's not the topic at all).

I have various cruise-friends, some of which are also travel agents. They recommend this facility (as well as others). Regardless, that being said, again, based upon the previous post (pictures) ... I do not believe the pictures are a selling point. I live within commuting proximity of the New Jersey seashore. While the atmosphere is very nice ... while the service is nice ... while the food is nice ... the NJ waters are putrid ... and I choose not to go there (for a reason).

Steven

Maya Chan sent an information sheet about how they respect the mangrove swamps and do not participate in dredging for the sake of making the water pretty. I followed up with some online research about how cutting the mangrove swamps is really endangering the ecosystem there, and it's quite true. I respect Maya Chan even more after reading this and feel great about our choice to spend time there. They seem to really strive to be a "low environmental impact" destination.

I am well aware of the laws and mandates of Costa Maya ... that was never an issue. For your own edification, it's not necessarily up to Maya Chan to respect the environment ... rather ... it's the law. That being said, as I noted previously, if someone posts a picture suggesting the sights are lovely ... and a quick glimpse shows the grounds and waters to be otherwise ... I believe it defeats the purpose of posting the pictures. Anyone can visit any facility for whatever reason they prefer ... BUT ... to suggest something is BLUE, when it is GREEN is misleading. It would be one thing if someone said it was a relaxing atmosphere ... a facility with excellent food ... a facility with quality service ... but to suggest the pictures are some sort of decisive factor is laudable ... especially given the beaches readily available to most anyone on a cruise ship.

Steven

Heard back from Maya Chan and invoice from paypal. Wants half now and the rest 14 days before arrival. Didn't expect the full payment beforehand, but I guess with a limited number of guests they have to be more careful. Hoping the day will be sunny and warm.

Last month, I was told (by Maya Chan) it was $11 deposit, and balance paid in cash, upon arrival. The pricing may vary, depending on how long your ship is in port.

Regarding the water color at Maya Chan, there is a “river” that flows from the mangrove just south of the resort that occasionally discharges a red nutrient from the plants, called “Bermejo” locally, making the water red. It is rare but does happen a few times a year and can last for several days. Occasionally it will cause discoloration of the water even as far away as Mayan Chan, making the water green. The chances of that happening while you are there are actually very low. Most days the water is typical Caribbean blue. Probably a much better chance of rain than discolored water. Discussions like these tend to bring out those who were there on such a day but the many, many more who enjoyed the typical blue water days do not write of course. For those interested in this, check this article on Costa Maya and how it is regulated as a low environmental impact area.

https://ahhhmahahual.wordpress.com/2012/10/26/costa-mayamahahual-a-low-environmental-impact-development-area/

I was lucky to go to Maya Chan twice- once the water was blue- yes there is seagrass, but it is fairly easy to avoid and doesn't stick to you anyway. The second time was a week after a huge storm had gone through the Caribbean, the water was a bit murky- still fine to swim in, but not good for snorkeling, so one week was more of a sporty day with great food, drink, and friendly people, and the next time there was a bit of swimming but it turned into a great social party. Either way, Maya Chan is a good place to go- yes you can just stay on the ship and eat and drink there, but you get much more for your money and a great time if you spend the afternoon with Mark and Jane.

Although we have been on a variety of cruise lines and itineraries, we now opt only for Western Caribbean trips that stop at Costa Maya. The reason: so we can go to Maya Chan! That one excursion makes the trip for us!

As for choosing where to go: I guess I would rely on reports of travelers who actually have been to the resorts mentioned. Several posts on this thread give the impression that they are based solely on pictures or some other reason that is not first-hand experience.

For our family, there is only one choice and that clearly is Maya Chan. Yes, the water color can vary. Snorkeling is different than most reef snorkeling. (I was surprised by the fresh water holes from underground streams that are in the ocean floor there.) But there are a range of activities (free!) to do -- or not do, if you prefer lying around in hammocks or lounging under a palapa or floating in a chair with a beverage. I don't understand how anyone could not have a wonderful time there -- which is why Maya Chan consistently is rated #1 by all kinds of groups.

We found that there may be other resorts in the area that are less expensive -- but there is a reason for that. For example, Maya Chan uses only top-shelf alcohol in its drinks. My husband drinks straight shots and appreciates that Maya Chan offers only high quality brands. The liquor going into a mixed drink is just as important if you don't want a hang-over. I don't drink a lot but I also appreciate that I could try different drinks (including a chocolate "dessert" drink - yum!!) and not experience any ill effects.

Tastes in food, of course, vary. We thought the food was outstanding. (I wish someone could talk Mark into giving out some of those recipes and posting them online for the rest of us!) We also loved feeling like "family," right from the get-go.

The main downside of Maya Chan is getting a space reserved. They indeed restrict the number of guests and it you don't reserve early, you can be disappointed. Our party of 8 is not only booked for our January 2013 cruise but for January 2014 as well! I'm sure other resorts in the area are excellent, but if you want the best, you can't go wrong at Maya Chan!