Windows in cceanview rooms on Diamond Princess?

Cruisin'Mama 10

No and no. All are more or less the same unless "obstructed" which means what you think it does, light but not much view. None of the windows open, for that you need to step up to balcony.

The only exception is a "GG" which they call an outside but is in fact a balcony at the front of the ship but which offers no furniture. These cabins are usually as expensive as balcony cabins however.

Hey gang' date='

I'm looking in to a cruise land tour to Alaska in 2013 and wanted to know if there is any differences between the various oceanview rooms. Do some have larger windows than others? Do they open up so you can get fresh air? Thanks in advance!:)[/quote']

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Look at the ship deck plans. Cabins in oceanview are usually the same as anyother cabin sizewise. The increase in cabin class and price is measured by distance from midship (midship costs more) and deck level (higher costs more). with obstructed view you have to do your homework (there is a thread here on photos of obstructed view cabins) because if you have a big old lifeboat hanging in front of the window you have no view and lesser category cabins can have good to better views depending if boat or equipment is in front of window.) Lots of Oceanview cabins are on Plaza deck and there are many many threads discussing like or not like Plaza. Personal choice. Myself I like the money saving opportunity of oceanview and even better the carefully selected obstructed view cabin. If it is warm weather and good scenery then I buy a balcony. Your money --your choice.:p

Look at the ship deck plans. Cabins in oceanview are usually the same as anyother cabin sizewise. The increase in cabin class and price is measured by distance from midship (midship costs more) and deck level (higher costs more). with obstructed view you have to do your homework (there is a thread here on photos of obstructed view cabins) because if you have a big old lifeboat hanging in front of the window you have no view and lesser category cabins can have good to better views depending if boat or equipment is in front of window.) Lots of Oceanview cabins are on Plaza deck and there are many many threads discussing like or not like Plaza. Personal choice. Myself I like the money saving opportunity of oceanview and even better the carefully selected obstructed view cabin. If it is warm weather and good scenery then I buy a balcony. Your money --your choice.:p

I agree! Alaska is all about the scenery and wildlife. If you can see it from your own room it is a big plus.

We had an outside view cabin on the Diamond for Alaska. We really enjoyed our cabin and it was nice being able to look out, however, I did not like the furniture set up. The head of the bed was under the window, so to look out of the window, you either had to 1) stand a distance away from the window by the foot of the bed, or 2) climb up into the bed and kneel up since the windows were too high up to sit on the bed and look out, or 3) stand by the side of the beds and just get a side view out rather looking straight out.

I don't know why they don't consider having the furniture set up like it is for a balcony cabin in which the bed is side ways, unless the cabins are smaller and the furniture won't fit any other way.

Interesting, on the Sapphire her sister ship I had an oceanview room on the Plaza deck and the beds were against the wall and not the window. I could actually lay on my side and look out the window at the sky. I think most are under the window but a few aren't. Not sure why the difference.

Interesting, on the Sapphire her sister ship I had an oceanview room on the Plaza deck and the beds were against the wall and not the window. I could actually lay on my side and look out the window at the sky. I think most are under the window but a few aren't. Not sure why the difference.

What was your cabin number?

Can someone tell me how the beds are set up on the Diamond. Are they under the window?

Also is the bed set up different on the Emerald deck versus the Plaza deck for those of you who have stayed on both decks.

Lastly we had a cabin on the Plaza deck on the Island princess that was midship and heard a knocking sound the entire cruise. Is it louder on Plaza on the diamond too? Trying to convince DH to try plaza deck again but he is afraid it's noisier.

Any specific cabins you stayed in would be helpful.

I have sailed Diamond and her identical twin several times and can tell you the beds ARE under the window on outside cabins on both Plaza and Emerald.

I had an outside on Emerald that was over the drum pit in the Wheelhouse bar which was loud. Use the deck plans to see where any you are considering is.

We prefer the plaza deck for it's ability to walk right out into the action and we would support that choice, tell DH you have backup on that preference. :D

Archived