Upgrade Refused

waunabcruizin

I just tried, through my TA, to upgrade from category OG to category OB on the Spirit's 12/11 sailing. The NCL web site has OB category cabins at the same price we paid for an OG but NCL says those OB cabins are for new bookings only at that price and will not allow us to upgrade. Sigh. The pros for NCL are starting to be overwhelmed by the cons.

Cruise lines (not just NCL) often run specials that are for new bookings only, as a way to get -- new bookings! :)

Given how close you are to sail date, I wonder whether this lower price really IS a "new bookings" special or, more likely, NCL lowering prices, period, which can happen this close. (And looking at the price info for your sailing on NCL's web site, it looks very much like a lowering of prices a week or so before sailing, not a "new bookings" special.)

In that situation (after final payment), if there's a higher category of cabin now selling at the (lower) price you paid for a lesser category, NCL will sometimes (not always) allow the upgrade. (And I'm not sure they'll ever do it when it's a "new booking only" special price.) Your TA should call back and speak to someone else, including a supervisor if need be, and not take the first "no" for an answer. Not saying your TA will be successful. Reports on the NCL board make it clear that NCL sometimes but not always will allow this sort of upgrade after final payment. (And I don't get the sense that NCL is any worse in this respect than other lines.)

Good luck, and don't let this ruin the enjoyment of your trip!

I think the cruise lines are pretty clear that once you make the final payment that it.

That seems fair to me, otherwise they could say ... we want more if the price go's up. They have to be able to try and sell cabins at last minute

as they wish ... thats business.

Neil

We've been in your situation twice, once on RCL and once on X. Both times, we were able to pay for a better cabin after final payment. Sure, they won't do a price match after that day but both ties, we've been able to pay the difference and upgrade ourselves. Sorry your situation didn't work out.

• 2 weeks later...

OP: I'm sorry to read of your plight while trying to upgrade. Unfortunately, after final payment no cruise line is obligated to do anything they don't want to. This includes moving your cabin to a higher one if the price comes down on it. NCL's current promotions through their "12 days of Christmas" sales are for new bookings only and that's quite clear in the terms and conditions. If it was a part of that then I can understand why you didn't get moved. If it's otherwise then I suggest you probably have an issue with your TA. You may just want to skip the middle man and just deal directly with NCL. I have always found myself to be much happier when doing so. :)

Bon Voyage and happy sailing. :)

Archived