Bahamas cruise- Need visa?

coolbuddy100

Hi Folks...i am new to forum and first time cruiser...i am Indian citizen living in US...wanted to check if I need Bahamas visa to cruise....i came across this website.

http://www.tourismtoday.com/home/no-visas-for-cruise-passengers/

Is Tourismtoday "official" website for bahamas tourism? If yes, then we dont need visa..

Any Indian recently went to Bahamas cruise also please share your experience about Bahamas visa...

Thanks in advance..

Please reply.

You don't say if you are a permanent resident of the US or not (have a green card). That is important information.

Don't rely on that webpage, nor should you rely on visa advice from a chat board. As a citizen of India living in the US without a green card, it appears you may require a visa to visit the Bahamas. Sometimes exceptions are made for cruise ship passengers, but the information on your link does not specifically name for which countries this exemption is made.

Start your search for information here:

http://bahamas.visahq.com/requirements/India/resident-United_States/

More info here:

http://www.un.int/bahamas/tourist%20visa%20info.htm

Edited by 6rugrats

I am not a permanent resident, so I know I need a visa if I want to visit Bahamas....but main question is if I need visa for Cruise only.....so if anyone has knowledge or someone was in the same situation, please share the information...

thanks

Delta Airlines has a pretty helpful site where you can type in your citizenship and destination, and it tells you what you need. I wouldn't trust it 100%, but it's a good place to start...and it says you would need one.

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/index.jsp

I would call up the Bahamas Embassy in Washington DC to check for sure.

• 2 years later...

So what happened? My Chinese friend went on Carnival to the Bahamas and did not need a visa. It's a closed loop tour that goes back to New York. I am going to the Bahamas on NCL so just want to make sure they do not deny me boarding. For those wondering why we don't just call NCL, a travel agent or the consulate, it's because all three are of no use. I called and they give the unclear information so i have been asking people who went on the cruise. i am on a student visa in the US

• 1 year later...

Yes, I got it but DON'T get the visa. On my way back into the US, the immigration official told me I don't need it and the Bahamian consulate just says you do because they want your money. Frankly, the visa office at the consulate was very unprofessional. He actually asked me out on a date so I am not surprised that they would be tricking tourists into getting visas for cruises

Thanks lindesyohcheer. I have also read some anecdotes regarding not getting a visa but just want to be sure in case we are denied boarding. We are Indian nationals and technically we need a Visa even on a cruise. I would have obtained a visa to be on the safer side but since there is no Bahamas Consulates here in India, we have to get a Commonwealth visa from UK High Commission which takes a lot of time and costs about $600 for 3 of us. Can you share your nationality? Did anybody examine the Visa during checkin? Thanks again.

I would not depend on advice given in this matter on cruise critic. If The Bahamas say you need a Visa and you do not get one....you run the expensive risk of being denied boarding and you will not recover your money paid for your cruise!

Yes, I got it but DON'T get the visa. On my way back into the US, the immigration official told me I don't need it and the Bahamian consulate just says you do because they want your money. Frankly, the visa office at the consulate was very unprofessional. He actually asked me out on a date so I am not surprised that they would be tricking tourists into getting visas for cruises

I am editing my reply.

Yes, I got it but I WONT get the visa again. On my way back into the US, the immigration official told me I don't need it and the Bahamian consulate just says you do because they want your money. Frankly, the visa office at the consulate was very unprofessional. He actually asked me out on a date so I am not surprised that they would be tricking tourists into getting visas for cruise

According to the Official Gov website for the Bahamas as an Indian Citizen you need a Visa and a valid passport with a minimum of 6 months remaining "After" departing.

Don't risk being denied boarding and you need to research the rest of your itinerary on Official websites for each Port/Governent

Instead of looking at visa agency sites - you're better off going straight to the Bahamian gov't website because their "official policy" will ultimately determine if the cruise line chooses to deny you boarding for lack of proper documentation.

From this page, click on "Visa Requirements for Foreign Visitors" link and you get a list of all countries, and you can see that under visa requirement for India, it says "YES".

So what happened? My Chinese friend went on Carnival to the Bahamas and did not need a visa.

According to the document that I linked, Chinese nationals do not require a visa to enter the Bahamas.