Attessa IV

However, a couple of people here believe that myself and some others have less valued opinions than someone who hasn't lived/worked in Vancouver for 10ish years, and spends 1/2 of their time living the other side of another country?

Someone said "Steamworks isn't the cheapest", I agreed, and apparently neither of our opinions are valid, despite both of us working and/or living in the downtown core.

I've also been told, by the same poster that my opinions aren't as valid as theirs because I don't live in Vancouver, but one municipality over... by someone who's entire superiority of opinion when they also lived 'one municipality over'. Heck I posted a thread/picture of the "Start of Cruise Ship Season" (because I was nearby), and despite the port itself having a press conference for the "Start of Cruise Ship Season", the same two posters here had to disagree and say "No that's not the start of the season".

Everyone has an opinion, and not everyone's is going to agree, but trying to discredit a local, who lives and/or works in the area, by claiming they somehow don't have enough 'tenure' is just downright silly. Also trying to pretend they're an expert on something like Skytrain, while in another thread calling cruise people who take it "shleppers" or "Gypsies" is just downright insulting.

Sounds like the same old disruptive and divisive tactics that spew from this persons computer when proven incorrect or offers and an opion different then his. It rather reminds me of the ditty I learned in elementry school:

"Oh!" said the pot to the kettle;

"You are dirty and ugly and black!

Sure no one would think you were metal,

Except when you're given a crack."

"Not so! not so!" kettle said to the pot;

"'Tis your own dirty image you see;

For I am so clean – without blemish or blot –

That your blackness is mirrored in me."

• 4 weeks later...

We have often thrown stones at BC Ferries but here I am back on the Queen of Surrey heading into Vancouver for the third time in week for some business meetings. I must say I am very pleased with the free Wi-Fi, it works wonderfully on the ship but can be a bit spotty in both the Horseshoe Bay & Langdale terminals. The other thing that I remain impressed with is the automatic re-load of the Experience Card. Last night coming back they had reloaded my card, charged my credit card and sent me receipt for same before I got on the ship.

I too was across and back this week for a short trip to the Okanagan. I agree that the Wifi is good, much faster than cruise ship speed, though I had to change seats to find reception on-board the Coastal Celebration. And it's free! My guess is that it's powered through the cell-phone network for the South coast routes.

While I have not found any ghosted location on the Queen of Surrey, your theory re the cell-phone could be correct....this would certainly explain the spotty service at both Langdale and Horseshoe Bay. The iPad sure chews the battery capacity at those locations trying to stay connected and much less so when on the ship.

With Canada Day occurring on Monday we are expecting a busy weekend with family starting to arrive tomorrow at noon. I am going to take the next days away from my computer to enjoy the family and celebrations so I want to wish you all a safe and happy weekend and a great Canada Day

ca-flag1.gif

PD and others - enjoy your Canada Day activites - I will be down at Canada Place as a volunteer doing double duty - first up is volunteering for the citizenship ceremony - seating the guests, handling out Canadian Flags and passing out the birthday cake - an then after a short respite will be route marshalling for the Canada Day Parade.

Cheers

Dennis

I posted this on another thread for some friends of mine who are on the Pearl next May but thought I would put it here also in the FWIW file.

Thought I would share this gossip with you and the rest of the cruisers on this coastal - over coffee last night one of the regulars who has driven tour bus claims that the bus companies have been told by Port Metro Vancouver that there will be no cruise ships using Ballantyne Pier next year - that Canada Place will have ships 7 days a week - one possible reason is that the closest overpass to that pier is closed for a year for a major rebuild and widening to handle all the extra traffic to the port - this could be interesting if they are trying to squeeze a fourth ship into the berths at Canada Place.

Cheers

Dennis

Since this is the local gossip thread for us locals any thoughts on what the Canucks will do - over coffee last night the consensus was if Schneider gets traded Gilles may get lynched - they seem to think trading him for a draft pick is not the answer to our problems unless that person can step right in and play next season - our problem is that Gilles and the owners have been cruising along counting the money and not listening to the fans.

Cheers

Dennis

Thought I would share this gossip with you and the rest of the cruisers on this coastal - over coffee last night one of the regulars who has driven tour bus claims that the bus companies have been told by Port Metro Vancouver that there will be no cruise ships using Ballantyne Pier next year - that Canada Place will have ships 7 days a week - one possible reason is that the closest overpass to that pier is closed for a year for a major rebuild and widening to handle all the extra traffic to the port - this could be interesting if they are trying to squeeze a fourth ship into the berths at Canada Place.

Cheers

Dennis

Great rumour Dennis. I can't imagine what that closure will do to the daily commute. We use that route to downtime all the time

Everyone aboard here have a great Canada Day. TAke sometime somewhere to celebrate as you are able. We have a great country. That has never been more clear to me since we started to cruise around various Islands and countries and having seen how many other live.

Have a good one.

Bob

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thought I would share this deal I tripped over the other day. We are heading of to Rome next week and need to leave a car at or near YVR. As we are returning VCE to LHR and then YVR it occurred to us that a night's sleep in a hotel before racing to the ferry would be an idea. I phoned the Delta Airport and a king room, parking and a continental breakfast for 2....$131. Compared with Park n' Fly's rate of $168 for parking only, Delta's deal was a slam dunk.

• 2 months later...

Well those goes our free ride on BCF during the week....Is it my imagination or does this have the same ring as Gordo planning to take away BC Seniors' bus pass....I am not sure that they should be trying to eliminate BCF's red ink on backs of seniors who have lots of time to fight back????

When I saw this yeserday I said to myself - wonder how long before someone brings this thread back to the top and voila there it is for my morning reading.

As I only go to the Island or use the ferry system a couple of times a year and usually on weekends it won't have much of an impact on me.

PD - does it appear to you that the government is now trying to take back control of BC Ferries?

Cheers and as we await the first Arctic outflow winds of the season enjoy your sunny days in the desert.

Dennis

I am inclined to agree with you, this is not going to have a huge impact on us either. However, I do know of seniors on the coast who only travel on Monday thru Thursday and this will have a major effect them. Somehow the optics just seem to be wrong, taking away something from seniors. I sent my emails of to Christy, Dejong and Todd Stone who really did come across as rather arrogant in his announcement re the seniors' cut. As one newspaper scribe said, you really don't want to mess with seniors who have lots of time to fight these kinds of issues and from a demographic point are the largest block of voters.

I think all governments of all political stripes are going to be faced with these types of decisions as the boomers all turn 65 and start to draw on government services etc - with no desire by the younger types for increase taxation and a smaller work force because of technology etc the revenue to maintain the status quo isn't going to be there.

I think we need to remember that many of these entitlements were brought in to assist people like our parents who didn't have the full effect of the CPP, company pensions or houses worth half million +.

Years ago they clawed back the OAS from the wealthy, got rid of free off season camping - now about 50% in the off-season, dropped free prescriptions and replaced with a means test Pharmacare.

The howls from the opposition about the changes to this and the reduction in the number of ferry sailings was expected but I haven't seen them suggest any concrete action given that fuel and wages are the two biggest expenses and you know there labour buddies will never allow the wages to be touched.

That's all from the soap box tonight so I will now cruise on out of here.

Cheers

Dennis

Well said, I am not complete agreement but you raise some excellent, well thought out points.:)

However, I did make my views known to the tribunal earlier today. If the seniors are going to take a hit, what about leaning up the administration in BCF, the free passes to employees and retirees of BCF. I know the latter is quite common in transportation...but these are desperate time....and no, they are not the product of David Hahn.:)

I thought that I had Mike Corrigan news slip/clip correctly but just double checked and here is a quote from CBC.

"BC Ferries president Michael Corrigan says, however, that the employee discounts and free rides don't cost the public anything, and there is no reason to get rid of them at this time."

Hey, Mike did you wear a helmet when you played hockey:confused:....guess what the free rides to seniors don't cost the corporation anything either and they often bring a car which they pay full fare with for. Employees and retirees get a free ride for both car and their families 7 days a week 365 days a year....and don't get bumped like airline employees.

Edited by Putterdude

• 1 month later...

Well, hello! A merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you all. It is nice to see that my old 'Coastal Renaissance' thread lives on in this, it's second reincarnation! I have not been around here for quite a while.

I was looking up the history of the 'Black Ball Line' the other day and came up with some interesting stuff. It seems that the original 'Black Ball Line' was the first to start a regular, scheduled transatlantic service, over 20 years before Samuel Cunard. This link to history survives with our trusty old M.V. Coho. It is quite a story, involving Folger's Coffee, Robert Dunsmuir, BC Ferries and all sorts. Have a look at this interesting article:

http://www.tacomascene.com/kalakala/black_ball_line/black_ball_line.html

I also found this one on the Canadian Black Ball Ferries:

http://www.garylittle.ca/history/blackball.html

It seems that the Black Ball Line was immortalised in the words of some of the old sea shanties, such as:

I couldn't find a shanty that mentioned BC Ferries though! :D

Welcome back, you have been missed. I stand to be corrected but I think that this is the 3rd reincarnation of the local coastal thread....sadly a certain very thin skinned local poster took exception to some of the posts on the previous threads and had them with all their local history shut down. I had posted a link to Gary Little's article on one of the previous threads. I have met Gary and as a Coast realtor I am amazed that he finds time to write his coastal history articles.

We are in Courtenay currently enjoying Christmas, rode BC ferries on Monday evening and got the free mini-candy cane. We are heading back into the city tomorrow to look after some year business then will head back to AZ on the 30th, spend 9 days then fly out to Ft. Lauderdale for our Caribbean cruises.

So I also wish all local posters, the grinch and all, a very Happy Christmas and all the best of the New Year.