Attessa IV

After this weekend's chaos at Canada Place and of course what is likely going to happen next weekend, I went looking for some information re the expansion of Canada Pace as a replacement for Ballantyne. I think one of us Vancouver types did post some information about this but I can't find anything. Anyone got any links?

I too heard about increasing the pier to accomodate three large ships but haven't seen anything either - they were also talking about improving the embarkation/disembarkation area as well once the cruise season was over - I got that info from the firm that produces Christmas at Canada Place last year - they stated they weren't sure where it would be held this year as reno work was planned.

Wonder if a phone call to media relations for the port might solve some of this mystery.

On an unrelated matter - looks like a certain wealthy businessman had his yacht tied up at Lonsdale Quay on the weekend - have a picture but have trouble uploading them because I haven't figured out how to get a valid security token to upload to Cruise Critic.

Cheers!

Dennis

Thanks, I went through the port's website and saw nothing, all their projects are listed. I may just call and ask when I have a minute.

If you are speaking of the Attessa, my friend the former captain, brought her down from Stewart Is. about 2 weeks ago and she was the back drop on the Global BC news last week when they were broadcasting from Lonsdale Quay. He brought down another mega yacht from Alaska on the weekend (the name I have lost) and I got an email from his wife telling me there was a problem with the paper work and they were held up somewhere.

I guess we won't be recommending the Quality Inn on Howe for awhile. I wonder what impact this will have on the neighboring Vintage Park-Executive Inn. Although I have always been suspicious both hotels are owned by the same group and they are in the development business and do develop condos.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/metro/Vancouver+hotel+serve+interim+cost+housing+until+demolition/10234577/story.html

I just heard about this over coffee last night - guess this is Gregor's short term solution for homelessness in the middle of an election campaign.

Some time ago there was a public information meeting about the future plans for that site - I couldn't attend the redevelopment talk - this development has come out of the blue - no neighborhood input and I can see the hotel from my condo - just got notice that the 900 Pacific site - the old kettle of fish restaurant will be a homeless shelter this winter AFTER the city has already opened it.

Wonder who the developer is and HOW MUCH they have contributed to the VISION coffers!

How soon are you heading south and hasn't it been a wonderful summer.

Cheers!

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker
C

I saw the Kettle of Fish thing on the news last night but haven't thought about you. However, I was thinking of you and your view when the Quality Inn sight is redeveloped....my guess is that this temporary social use the part of the price that has been extracted by the city for the re-zone. Hey, you got Gregor and his bike lanes and we have John and his electric car charging station that no one has seen a car at except his....he drives a Tesla.

Departure is likely a month today but we have some things we need to deal with first.

• 7 months later...

Hey, everyone....have you submitted your names for the new BC Ferries? I have submitted mine but won't win as mine all begin with 'Queen of ' which of course they don't want. Marketing you know....like they are in a competitive situation and we had a choice which ferry service we are going to use. In any event one of my name recognizes Hartley Bay, surely they can't keep ignoring what that community did to save their collective bacon.

Haven't and won't be submitting a name but good to see you back on the local boards.

I start a 6 week stint as a volunteer driver for the FIFA Women's World Cup tomorrow with lots of shifts - in between I need to find time to plan a 7 day Rockies hiking trip and then my 10 day Alaska cruise in September.

Cheers!

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like with the change of management at what we knew as the Delta-Airport our days of the inexpensive park & fly days are over. The rate with 15 days of parking is now in the mid-$200 range under the new Pacific Gateway brand. Accent Inns have a package that includes 25 nights of parking and the usual shuttle for $139 which looks good to me even if we do not stay in the room when we arrive back from the UK.

• 10 months later...

I am resurrecting this thread to provide a link to some footage of the Union Steamship's Lady Cynthia sailing from the Union Steam Ships dock to Britannia Beach. It was evidently shot in the 1940's, note Vancouver's skyline, the old Vancouver Sun building and the Marine building. I can certainly remember when they were Vancouver's skyscrapers. There is also no sea to sky highway. Ancient Vancouverites....enjoy.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=944_1460058022

Edited by Putterdude

I don't remember that trip but my mother used to talk about the family picnic to Bowen Island on the Union Steamships and my cousin and godmother who is now in her late 80's still talks about some of them.

There is still a lot of history over on Bowen and not far from the ferry terminal.

Have a safe trip home.

Cheers!

Dennis

• 10 months later...

The purchase price is one thing, however moreage, maintenance and insurance would be a real killer.:) BCF spent a ton on her a few years ago, much more than then they budgeted, dealing with life safety and asbestos removal issues.....but she is old old old. I was on her bridge a couple of years ago and her nav package is old. They had to pull her out of service for a period this summer,she was leaking a lot of lube out of her prop shaft and finally DO&F said pull her or else. We said goodby to her In late October, the rust and the dogwood carpeting will be missed.

I hadn't realized that the Q of B had been on the block since December and they only had the one bid that materialsed 48 hrs before bid closing. Evidently the price was $425k just $25k over the minimum bid. So is that breakup value or is she going to some emerging country or perhaps a logging camp? I guess we will find out in due course.

https://www.cheknews.ca/auction-closes-sale-bc-ferries-queen-burnaby-277181/

PD - maybe it's time you have a little chat with a certain Mr. Washington - perhaps with a stiff single malt scotch and see if you can find out what's going on.

Nice to have this thread going again.

Cheers!

Dennis

It's funny, I was recently in touch with DW and got a commitment for a scholarship for an educational foundation that I am on the board of. As for BCF, he is too busy building ships for the Royal Canadian Navy and Coast Guard and is referring all new BCF biz to Poland.:confused: Seriously, until I got going with Seaspan I didn't realize what a huge company it is and how much it impacts so many of us on the west coast. I'm rambling like Trump, but actually when DW is on the Coast we don't drink single malt, nothing but a growler of Persephone for us ..... it's beautiful.;)